Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How long would you let this go on? (eating issues)

As many of you know already, my 3yo son has some major food aversions. Well, as of Sunday, his diet has dropped to only one cup of yogurt per day, along with maybe 2-3 sippy cups of PediaSmart....and that's it. *Maybe* one or two bites of graham cracker, but nothing else. Today is day 5 of this (though it had been dwindling prior to Sunday as well), we thought it was a medication he was on that was stifling his appetite but we stopped the meds on Monday and here we are still. I know it can take a while if it IS the medicine, and I know he isn't in dire straights, but certainly he needs more than what he's taking in...? Mamas of kids with food issues (or anyone else who wants to chime in), how long would you wait it out?

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
photocat
Registered Users

Re: How long would you let this go on? (eating issues)

I have a friend with a boy who is now 5 yrs old, but he was a super preemie, 24 weeks I think. He is still tiny, but his mum's just a little wee thing anyway.

She still gives him some sort of super-formula stuff, apparently it has all the vitamins, minerals etc in it he needs. He has only recently....maybe in the last 8 months....started to eat more food than maybe just a bite here and there. He just didn't eat and was super picky about what he would eat.

He does eat more now but I know she still gives him the formula at least once a day.

What I'm saying I 'spose is that he seemed to mature a bit and grow out of it a bit, though I know your situation with your ds is complicated by the food aversions and whatnot.

Hope someone else can chime in with something more useful.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Will he drink smoothies since he can handle the yogurt texture?
Might be a way to make him get more healthy stuff in, you can do so much in a smoothie.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure. I think you know him best and you'll just have to trust your mama gut.

That said, I hesitate over pediasure. It's done good things for a lot of kids, but when my daughter was FTT they put her on it. At the very first it was okay....But then she started refusing all food (food had already been a big struggle) and only drinking pediasure. I didn't want her to backwards food wise, even though she was getting a bit more calories with pediasure. We had to make a hard decision to take her off of it and start over at square one with the food issues. Many kids do great with it, but I know she is not the only one that's been that way. I hope your son doesn't do that to you, just wanted to let you know it can happen.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

DP

Last edited by jen_batten; 05-24-2013 at 03:35 PM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have you considered a consult with a Speech Pathologist. They work on feeding issues all the time.

Nutritional supplements like pedis sure or ensure for that matter tend to fill people up so they eat less.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would call your ped and your OT/ST and talk to them, personally. Foods are hard to get back, so I would not let it go on long at all.

If you are not already in feeding therapy, I would ask your doctor to write for it. Feeding therapy is a LONG drawn out process. DS is 4, and we've been working on it since he was 3 months old. He is just now finally eating 10 bites in a meal. The longer you way, the harder the process will be. Most children's hospitals have programs.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 05-24-2013 at 06:18 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My son does this. We have serious heart ache when his menu dwindles down to nothing. I would just keep feeding him what you can as much of it as he will eat. If he will eat yogurt, see if you can get a lot in him. I just went through this with Rory and he just expanded his menu after.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried completely and totally new things yet? Meaning, things you haven't ever introduced before? My 2 yr old is somewhat inconsistant with what she's willing to eat. I mean, she won't touch a fruit or vegetable (like actually won't physically touch it) pretty consistently, but sometimes something that she eats all the time, like peanut butter sandwiches, she won't touch. When that happens I try to go for something totally new. Like making zucchini pancakes or something. And then after the novelty of the new thing wears off, she is usually willing to eat the old thing again. Except yogurt, I can't get her to be willing to eat yogurt again.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHome Sewing View Post
Will he drink smoothies since he can handle the yogurt texture?
Might be a way to make him get more healthy stuff in, you can do so much in a smoothie.
No, he won't drink ANYTHING but PediaSmart. Once in a while he will take a few sips of juice, but that's it. No water, not milk, nothing else...he won't even drink the PediaSmart if it's right out of the fridge because it's "too cold".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I'm not sure. I think you know him best and you'll just have to trust your mama gut.

That said, I hesitate over pediasure. It's done good things for a lot of kids, but when my daughter was FTT they put her on it. At the very first it was okay....But then she started refusing all food (food had already been a big struggle) and only drinking pediasure. I didn't want her to backwards food wise, even though she was getting a bit more calories with pediasure. We had to make a hard decision to take her off of it and start over at square one with the food issues. Many kids do great with it, but I know she is not the only one that's been that way. I hope your son doesn't do that to you, just wanted to let you know it can happen.
We were worried about this at first, but he always drinks the 2-3 cups of it even when he is eating well, so I don't think it's replacing anything. I wish I had at least one other "safe" drink to give him in replace of it just to see, but I tried that once before and he just stopped drinking altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
Have you considered a consult with a Speech Pathologist. They work on feeding issues all the time.

Nutritional supplements like pedis sure or ensure for that matter tend to fill people up so they eat less.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I would call your ped and your OT/ST and talk to them, personally. Foods are hard to get back, so I would not let it go on long at all.

If you are not already in feeding therapy, I would ask your doctor to write for it. Feeding therapy is a LONG drawn out process. DS is 4, and we've been working on it since he was 3 months old. He is just now finally eating 10 bites in a meal. The longer you way, the harder the process will be. Most children's hospitals have programs.
He sees a SLP every week as well as an OT and both of them work on a food chaining therapy with him....but we've never been to an outpatient hospital feeding program. They evaluated him and wanted to admit him to one at our children's hospital, but I didn't love their method of setting a timer and basically forcing him to eat until the timer went off. I wish I had more options nearby. I did call his ped but she just said "if he's dehydrated take him to the ER" but I don't think he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Have you tried completely and totally new things yet? Meaning, things you haven't ever introduced before? My 2 yr old is somewhat inconsistant with what she's willing to eat. I mean, she won't touch a fruit or vegetable (like actually won't physically touch it) pretty consistently, but sometimes something that she eats all the time, like peanut butter sandwiches, she won't touch. When that happens I try to go for something totally new. Like making zucchini pancakes or something. And then after the novelty of the new thing wears off, she is usually willing to eat the old thing again. Except yogurt, I can't get her to be willing to eat yogurt again.
I gave him one a mini blueberry muffin the other day and he seemed to like it, but he only ate one bite and then set it back down. I DID get him to eat one whole one this morning, along with his yogurt...but he just isn't hungry, he tells me at every mealtime that he isn't hungry/doesn't want to eat before I even offer anything to him. He has even turned down pudding, which was one of his favorite foods. Why do kids always do stuff like this on holiday weekends?!