Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand
It helps you not wake up choking on stomach acid...
Yes...that is the worst!! I'm so tired of that :-p

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: heartburn help!!!

Oh you should eat something, just like starving women in labor in case they need a cesarean under general anesthesia actually produces more acid in their stomachs (which they still could aspirate), being hungry will still cause you to have stomach acid, and the acid is the ultimate issue.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
I am the heartburn queen . I tried all the natural things you mentioned, plus chiropractic adjustment where he tries to pull something in my chest down. Anything would give me heartburn, even drinking water. Cheese, chocolate, and tomatoes were the worst culprits, but anything would make it happen.

I took Nexium with my first 3 pregnancies, but it was a $30 rx with my 4th so I switched to Prevacid, with is also OTC and very, very similar to Nexium. It does work better than Zantac or Tagamet because it lasts longer. It is safe to take while pregnant. It helps you not wake up choking on stomach acid...

Baking soda can work well if you take about 1 t. to 1 cup of water. It tastes nasty but it is instant relief. BUT, my midwife discouraged it because it can throw off your electrolyte balance; if I take the Prevacid daily, I don't need baking soda.
I took previcid every other day.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

I didn't have heartburn as bad as you, but probiotics helped me a lot.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #15
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

Milk work(s)ed for me (or yoghurt, custard, ice cream, anything of the sort), and a friend of mine swears by chewing on cardamom seeds. I try to take it easy on the real antacids earlier on so that I don't build up a tolerance, but sometimes they are just necessary. I had the kind of heartburn (and reflux ) you are describing in my first pregnancy. It's the worst! Even cucumbers gave me heartburn. Cucumbers!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #16
ChocoChoco
Registered Users

Try squeezing lemon juice into every glass of water you drink and also raw almonds. It's hard to tell if it helped much for my pregnancy hb, but I do know ACV did not work for me. Papaya enzymes were so so. Maybe try changing brands of papaya enzymes? There are diff types out there. Also, it was suggested to me to try aloe Vera juice. I have it sitting in my fridge but never got around to remember trying it before a meal. Sorry about the hb mine was chronic and I didn't want to go the Rx route.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
ChocoChoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #17
birdinhand
Registered Users

I was going to say I also tried probiotics, raw almonds (those never worked, but I love raw almonds and was willing to try), aloe vera juice (an acquired taste and texture) and some other things suggested in Wise Woman Herbal. I hated Tums because they leave the nastiest metallic taste in my mouth for hours afterwards.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

funny i have been sick for a couple weeks now and my go to is hot water, honey, and lemon so lemon water isn't working. tried the ice cream trick but sadly that didn't work. would've been awesome if it had but at least i have some ice cream to eat now lol. think i'll try the prevacid just to see if that will work since the zantac didn't touch it.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
birdinhand
Registered Users

look for the time=-release prevacid.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry Mama I have suffered terribly w/heartburn. Here are some suggestions of things that did help ease it: Chamomile Tea (I drank it like crazy w/ my 2nd DD because it was so bad, it can actually heal the esophagus and was very soothing), make sure you are not wearing clothes that are constricting. Make sure you are eating small, frequent meals (and it is a good idea to stay away from things that make it worse, not sure how you handle that with water, since you don't want to get dehydrated esp. as summer approaches). Also nutritionalresources.com sells an herbal formula by Limited Edition Herbs called Super Catnip and Fennel that really helped me a lot. 10 drops 15min. before each meal was really helpful and I would take another dose just before bed. Sleeping elevated and remaining elevated for awhile after eating can help too. Sometimes not mixing food and liquids together can allow for better digestion. HTH!!
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote