Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

What rise is best for nb prefolds

DS has no interest in potty training so I will probably have 2 in diapers come march. I was planning on using flats for the newborn but now I'm thinking of "adding" 6 PFs to the stash for when I inevitably have nothing folded.

I don't want to spend money on anymore NB stuff so I was thinking I would trim and sew my existing osocozy size 2 PFs to fit a newborn. Currently they're a weird 17x12" size so they're a pretty good width for a NB but I'm not sure how short to do for pinning on a NB. I'd rather not have to fold over, and would love for a good no hassle fit.

Any length recommendations for 20" 6-7lb newborn? I'm thinking 11" may be too long...

TIA

Advertisement

Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

My Gmd newborn prefolds are now square at 10"x10". I have big average babies at 8# 5-11oz. Measuring between 19-21". The rise was ok at birth but they were too thick for my taste.

I'd say 10-11" rise would be good tho.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysmama
My Gmd newborn prefolds are now square at 10"x10". I have big average babies at 8# 5-11oz. Measuring between 19-21". The rise was ok at birth but they were too thick for my taste. I'd say 10-11" rise would be good tho.
Oh wow 10x10! How did you find the width? Maybe my osocozys are too wide. I've seen other NB PFs listed as 12ish inches wide so I thought they'd be fine.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I think it's hard because I prefer a wider waist area as that's the part most babies out grow first and the down side is that puts more bulk in the leg area too :/. I mostly trifolded my nb Gmd. I loved my Grovia size 1. They were the same dimensions but thinner. Personally if you have a serger I would try making etpf instead so you can keep the width at the waist but not have as much bulk in the crotch.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

What is an et PF?

I also have a dozen OS organic flats with disintegrated hems, maybe I could try to turn those into PFs instead.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Extended tab prefold. The wings at the top extend further than the width of the main body of the prefold. Like a funny looking letter "T"
Old 01-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I read a post from another mamas that folded her flats in fourths and served them that way and said they were more absorbent than nb prefolds and washed dried and folded on better
Old 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What rise is best for nb prefolds

I'd probably just check out the washed dimensions of various popular prefold brands and average it out.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #9
Bijuriya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What rise is best for nb prefolds

Thank you for input!
Bijuriya is offline   Reply With Quote