Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
mrsyunyun
Registered Users

Fastest combination to get on the bum with a wiggly baby?

My 13 month old is a little monkey. Even with disposables, it's hard to get through a diaper change without a bit of wrestling. What have you found to be the fastest to get on the bum? Our stash is mostly flats and stretchy flats that I pad fold and either stuff into pockets or lay into covers. I guess getting some hook and loop covers is an option but I hate how they catch on everything in the wash. But we could always hand wash the covers. hmm.

Advertisement

mrsyunyun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Fastest combination to get on the bum with a wiggly baby?

Honestly I just teach my kids to lay still while I change. It is not that big of deal for them to lay still for thirty seconds while I put on a diaper.

Out of your choices I would say a pocket is probably the fastest. Velcro ones would be a little faster even. But if you are having trouble with disposables to switching diapers is not going to fix the problem.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
mrsyunyun
Registered Users

What does teaching them look like? My son is always in motion. He lies down for the diaper change but after his bottom is wiped he has had enough and wants to get up and move around.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyunyun View Post
What does teaching them look like? My son is always in motion. He lies down for the diaper change but after his bottom is wiped he has had enough and wants to get up and move around.
I make their efforts counter productive. If they are actively fighting and trying to get away I hold them there until they are still so I can do the change and then they can go. They learn pretty quick that it's much quicker and easier to suffer through a change than to fight it. For his age probably just flipping him back over or laying him back down and saying 'not yet' (or something) would get the idea across that he needs to stay until you are finished.

Last edited by jen_batten; 09-24-2017 at 09:07 PM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
mrsyunyun
Registered Users

We already do this. And if he continues to fight I hold his shoulders down with my toes. I guess I will keep trying to teach him.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

pocket were my first thought, just hook and loop. If they don't have laundry tabs you can buy extra hoop cut into rectangles and attach -- or just attach like on the LO and turn inside out.

At 13 months you could consider switch to pull up style diapers, something like a snap ez pocket that you can still stuff as much as he needs, and will snap off for a poop. Maybe he will fight less if he is often allowed to stand. If he still fights to change a poop you can start offering a little potty for him to sit on and maybe start catching them -- he may just not want to be "treated" like a baby anymore.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
mrsyunyun
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
pocket were my first thought, just hook and loop. If they don't have laundry tabs you can buy extra hoop cut into rectangles and attach -- or just attach like on the LO and turn inside out.

At 13 months you could consider switch to pull up style diapers, something like a snap ez pocket that you can still stuff as much as he needs, and will snap off for a poop. Maybe he will fight less if he is often allowed to stand. If he still fights to change a poop you can start offering a little potty for him to sit on and maybe start catching them -- he may just not want to be "treated" like a baby anymore.
Thank you! These are good options! He definitely thinks he's a big boy. He won't eat mushy foods (no oatmeal, mashed potatoes, etc), doesn't like to hold my hands while walking, etc.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Moonbeam123
Registered Users

I change across my lap so they can't escape.

I even manage pinned flats on my 4yo over my lap, he hates it but it's the easiest for me ;-)
Moonbeam123 is offline   Reply With Quote