Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
amy8677
Registered Users

Question ALVA vs KAWAII vs ASSUNTA

I havent looked too much at the FSOT on here since Im still new to CD and to this site, but I follow a few pages on facebook for BST CD.... besides tons of different brands and types of diapers, there are some really high prices.. I had a few mamas suggest buying Alvas brand new off their website, one woman told me about Assunta dipes and then there are Kawaiis... If im right those are all in the same category, some would call "china cheapies".. If they are that cheap why are ppl reselling them for almost more than what you can get them for new? And why are they so popular?

anyone have any experience with any of those brands? I read more good than bad reviews for them.. Im hoping to place an order of half covers (so I can do prefolds or flats or whatever) and half pockets.. just to get me started to see what works better for our family.......

thanks!!

Advertisement

amy8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
GodStillTalks
Registered Users
seller

I haven't used them, but I vote for Assunta. Serena is a wonderful lady, the money goes for a good cause, and I've done lots of business with her in my wahm days (she started out offering wahm diaper making supplies). I'm on another forum that raves about her products.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Nangirl17
Registered Users
seller

Re: ALVA vs KAWAII vs ASSUNTA

I have experience with both Kawaii and Alva.

I bought a bunch of Alva 3.0 and 4.0 (4.0s are the double gusseted, double opening ones) and was quite happy. They only come with one MF insert each, so around 8 months I started to double stuff them which worked much better as I didn't have to change him every hour then! The holes to stuff the 3.0 are rather narrow, but I pretty much just bought those for the cute prints, they are not the mainstay of my stash, so I don't use them often. The 4.0s are AWESOME. I haven't had any snap issues, two inserts fit nicely, and because of the double end I don't have to unstuff to wash - the inserts agitate out nicely! The only issue I have had is that one of the patterns of the 4.0 that I got a few of the elastic only lasted about 8 months, although we never had a leak despite this. The solid 4.0s have all been great.

The Kawaiis are what we use the most though. We bought 24 of the HD2 in velcro (a deal for $130!!). They have a microsuede inner and come with 2 MF inserts each. Dh hates snaps, so he uses these all the time, and it is what we send to the babysitter as well for ease of use. 10 months in, and these are still pretty much pristine despite only 18 of these, 5 BG, and about 8 Alvas in consistent rotation - so they get used a lot!! (Yes, I have 6 of them still NIP - I was saving them since I thought that buying "china cheapies" would need to be replaced relatively soon, but there they sit!) The velcro is still like new, the tpu is excellent, the elastic is great, no leaks, only one blowout (and I think NOTHING could have contained the amount of poo that came out that time!), and I'm SO happy with my purchase!! The only downside: only 6 colours!! I have some other Kawaiis that I bought for the cute prints, but I don't use them on a regular basis.

What do I prefer out of my stash? The Alvas I love because I don't have to unstuff them and because of the two pockets they are nice to stuff. The Kawaiis I love because of their ease to put on a squirmy baby and they are SO reliable. The BG 3.0... Meh.

Edit: I should mention that I hang to dry, so maybe they've stayed in good shape because they don't go in the dryer. But my washer is ancient so they get TONS of agitation - so hard on my clothes!!

Last edited by Nangirl17; 05-16-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Adding additional info
Nangirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
77Lipen
Registered Users

I have alvas and kawaiis
Both are fine IMO. I think alvas are narrower cut in the crotch than the kawaii and some of my elastic is a bit inconsistent on one or 2 diapers but 8 months in and I use them all just fine, no snap or delamination issues
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Mom2Daniel
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have 24 kawaii ultra soft square tab one size and one kawaii minki square tab one size and 3 bumkins one size stuff it diapers. I much prefer my kawaiis. They are better quality and we have no leak issues. I also use the dryer on low with no problems! the bumkins are much smaller than the kawaiis so they wont fit as long and the snaps on the bumkins are very hard to open and close which causes the material around the snaps to tear. But that could just be poor fabric quality. I Looooove my kawaiis and wouldn't trade them for anything!
Mom2Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nangirl17 View Post
The Kawaiis are what we use the most though. We bought 24 of the HD2 in velcro (a deal for $130!!). They have a microsuede inner and come with 2 MF inserts each... 10 months in, and these are still pretty much pristine despite only 18 of these, 5 BG, and about 8 Alvas in consistent rotation - so they get used a lot!! (Yes, I have 6 of them still NIP - I was saving them since I thought that buying "china cheapies" would need to be replaced relatively soon, but there they sit!) The velcro is still like new, the tpu is excellent, the elastic is great, no leaks, only one blowout (and I think NOTHING could have contained the amount of poo that came out that time!), and I'm SO happy with my purchase!! The only downside: only 6 colours!! I have some other Kawaiis that I bought for the cute prints, but I don't use them on a regular basis.
This is my experience with Kawaii HD2s as well. I have used mine for 10 months and they are still in excellent shape, even though I have been using bleach almost every wash for last 6 months. I still have 5 NIP that I have been keeping because I expected some of them to be worn out by now, but they are really holding up well I have not tried Alvas, but I did have 14 BG 4.0's with aplix which I sold in November after only a few months of use (they already had issues with the aplix tabs and I also hang dry.) I much prefer the Kawaii HD2s to BG 4.0s and find them to be very dependable. They are my workhorse daycare diapers and I am very grateful for them, even though I hate stuffing pockets. They just work and fit awesome and I also got a bundle of 24 for $130 shipped free.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst

This is my experience with Kawaii HD2s as well. I have used mine for 10 months and they are still in excellent shape, even though I have been using bleach almost every wash for last 6 months. I still have 5 NIP that I have been keeping because I expected some of them to be worn out by now, but they are really holding up well I have not tried Alvas, but I did have 14 BG 4.0's with aplix which I sold in November after only a few months of use (they already had issues with the aplix tabs and I also hang dry.) I much prefer the Kawaii HD2s to BG 4.0s and find them to be very dependable. They are my workhorse daycare diapers and I am very grateful for them, even though I hate stuffing pockets. They just work and fit awesome and I also got a bundle of 24 for $130 shipped free.
I'm considering these for my next baby. But the tabs look wide. I had Happy Heinys with tabs like that and my baby could NOT sit up straight in them. Do you have that problem?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
Nangirl17
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
I'm considering these for my next baby. But the tabs look wide. I had Happy Heinys with tabs like that and my baby could NOT sit up straight in them. Do you have that problem?
I didn't have an issue, but my lo is tall...
Nangirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nangirl17

I didn't have an issue, but my lo is tall...
Mine are all short and fat. Any experience with the other Velcro ones?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Mine is tall as well. I haven't tried the other Kawaiis with exposed Velcro tabs because I don't like exposed Velcro. I did have one of the bamboo newborn diapers ( also with covered tabs) and it was great but only fit my son until 23 lbs.

My son is long waisted as well, although I think covered Velcro is best to avoid rubbing on their belly area.

Last edited by kirst; 05-23-2013 at 05:44 AM.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote