Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Danger Will Robinson, I want to talk vaccines....

I know this can be a bit of a hot button topic, but I am looking for resources. I don't care to know what the AAP and CDC want me to do. I'm also not looking for membership to the "crunchier than thou" club. I want something that will give me the truth about vaccines the good and the bad. I'm not vaccinating this little guy with a Hep B vaccine at birth... maybe he can get it when he's 10. Gustavo is up to date on his vaccines and Joey was on a very delayed schedule in that I avoided shots as often as I could. I don't want to be like this forever. I'd like to figure out a method to my madness. I need rationale. My guts tell me not to be a lemming. I could potentially decide to keep my kids on the CDC's vaccine schedule, I just need to feel that its the safest way to go and I need to feel confident in this decision. So, how do you decide to vaccinate, not vaccinate or delay? Any good books that talk both sides of the story?

*Just for the record I do not mean that every person who follows the CDC vaccine schedule is a lemming. I mean that many people blindly follow the advice of these types of agencies without doing any research and my goal is to put my blind faith into no one but God.... and most of the time he doesn't make me do things blind anyway.

Advertisement

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 05-27-2013 at 08:41 AM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Danger Will Robinson, I want to talk vaccines....

I am like you and don't have a system to my madness but since 9 months we have been moderately delaying. Just doing one a month. I have nothing against vaccines but my son has a horrible time with getting more than one in a visit and no problem with one at a time. That's just what makes sense for us. We will follow this schedule with the next one. My ped gives me flack about it but I don't care. They'll get over it!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Research it well.....the vaccine inserts themselves is some of he most compelling literature there is against vaccinating.

There is no real evidence that vaccines work at all. Please look into that!

Theres major risk in taking them, even vaccine makers admit that.

Im not a nonbiased person, i hate vaccines, i have two vaccine injured children. Some of the vaccines are made with aborted fetal cells, most have toxic ingredients like heavy metals or fomaldehyde.

I wont argue it with you or anyone else. I have researched it for years and know where i stand. I ask you to please research it well.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

For me I consider; the risks of the disease, how common it is and how to minimize dosages. I.e. if MMR is given at five, they only need the one for the primary dose. The CDC pink book has all the information on that available. I'm not uncomfortable with vaccines persay but I'm skeptical of how many, how often and how young they are currently given.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

There isn't a great unbiased source I've found. The CDC, as PP said, puts the facts about ingredients etc on their website. But it also requires research into chemistry (for example the difference between ethyl and methyl mercury) and the human body (some of the "scary" ingredients are naturally occurring in the human body). I keep meaning to look into vaccine schedules for other developed countries because I'd love to compare them. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I find dr. Sears book "the vaccine book" very informative, and he does give both sides to the equation. What the desiese is, what's in the shot, why you would want it, Why you wouldn't etc. and offers an alternate schedule if you choose to delay,.. it's only about 10$ and you can even download it to an amazon kindle app! It's well worth the money. We read it and choose to pick and choose which we wanted, until DS had IMO a severe reaction to the dtap, and we decided to stop. Anyways, it's a great resource!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

I second the Dr Sears book. There is a website now too where they update on things as well. It was a very unbiased, lay person type read. I plan to follow his delayed schedule with DD3 as much as possible. Just need to compare it to our canadian vaccine schedule.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

For us, it was watching our friend's daughter, who is 6 months older than my oldest, hit all her developmental milestones and progress from birth to 15 months completely normally, and then completely plateau at about 16 months old. Her mom was a little lazy with the standard vaccination schedule, and (not purposefully not vaxing or delaying, just plain old "I don't feel like taking her" laziness). Finally, the friend's daughter's doctor was up her butt about getting her baby up to date on her vaccines, so she was pumped full of vaccines every few weeks for a few months. And suddenly, she's not her self. She's no longer sociable, she has this vacant stare. She regresses with her walking. Her entire personality changed. And she wasn't hitting her milestones by 2. At 3 she was diagnosed with moderate Aspergers.

I don't know what causes Aspergers. I don't know that vaccines cause Autism/Aspergers/etc. But we immediately stopped vaccinating our daughter. We didn't vaccinate our other kids. In NY it is pretty much impossible to get vaccine exemption for public school, so we waited until 3 years of age to start slowly getting them up to date on shots, just in time for school. My oldest is now fully vaccinated, my son will be just in time to enter pre-k in the fall, and my almost 2 year old has never had a vaccine. None of them have any health problems or developmental delays, other than my son's bee allergy. I don't know if not vaccinating from the get-go had anything to do with this or not, but it was what I was comfortable with and what worked for us. We also ONLY do the absolutely necessary vaccines required for entry to public school, no others available.

Another thing I considered in deciding not to vaccinate, is that I'm a SAHM. My kids stay home. We don't go out during cold and flu season unless absolutely necessary. We practice great hand-washing. If there is so much as a runny nose, we stay at home. We don't travel to other countries or even other states. We have playdates here and there but not consistently. I don't rush to the doctors for illness, and in fact I avoid it at all cost. So we are a low risk for exposure or transmission of sickness. I might feel differently if my kids were in day care at a young age.

Last edited by madebymommy; 05-26-2013 at 09:00 PM.
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thirding the Dr. Sears book.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

See thats the other issue. I'm an RN and i work in med/surg if there is a nasty germ out there I am exposed to it. So I get nervous about exposing my kids. My 5 year old goes to school, but my hubs stays home, so no daycare....
I guess I'll just take a look at the Vaccine book for now.