Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

We have family in the area to watch ours, but something you might consider is finding a home daycare that allows drop in care. We have a small home daycare that is a neighbor and it's $5/hr per kid. So we do date days every month or so and DS1 (coming up on 3) LOvES it there. Then we run fun errands, have lunch, etc. right now we take one mo old DS2 with us but eventually we will leave him there too.

I trust her more than a teen, DS2 gets social time, and daytime rates are cheaper than hiring a teen on a Friday night. Plus, lunches are just as good and cheaper than dinners and not nearly as busy!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Time for each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
How old are your kids?
4, 3 and 1
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

I do have family nearby, but with they all have busy schedules so we still don't go out alone very often. Now that the weather has been nice the kids play outside often so we can talk while they run. We have been known to hit a Mickey d playplace in bad weather. Typically the children are in bed when dh comes home so we get an hr or so that way before we go to bed. On the weekends we watch a movie after bedtime.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Earlier bedtime for kiddos.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't have schedules but our kids play together well, and even when not playing together they have their own toy room they are in for long periods of time. So DH and I have time together when they're happily playing and at night when they go to bed.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

We utilize the miracle that is Thomas the Tank Engine on DVD. Put on a show on Sunday afternoon, pray that the baby will stay happy/asleep, and tell the bigger littles that we're "talking" in the bedroom....then lock the door.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
We swap babysitting nights with friends. All our kids are in bed by 7:30pm, so one night each week one of them comes here 7:45-11pm, and another night one of us go to their place. Works really well. They have been doing a rec volleyball league during their nights. DH & I mix it up - walks, coffee house, errands, etc.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

I also have a 4, an almost 3, and a 1 yr old. And we also don't have family nearby. My kids have a nap/quiet time during the day. They are also all in bed by 8pm so evenings are mostly when DH and I get time together. Even if its just watching HGTV on the couch together.

Babysitters are also necessity for us. I have found a few babysitters through care.com that I love and trust completely. One I use regularly as a mothers helper so she knows my kids, knows their schedule and my kids love her. The others we don't use as often but its always good to have a few back-ups.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It is very hard to spend quality time if you always are listening for the kids. We are fortunate to have family nearby. I have several friends who have used care.com to find sitters they love.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
OP, do you have middle or high school kids near you who babysit? That had been the easiest way for us to find sitters. We did live in one house that was in a starting up sub and we only had a few neighbors with no sitters, so dh asked around at work for recommendations. You can always ask colleagues or friends for recommendations......however, they may be hesitant as they don't want to give up their golf mine, lol.