Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

So, doctor says my 18 month old has eczema

It runs in my family. My sister has it and it can flair up pretty badly. She's had it since she was little. My daughter has a couple of rough patches on the back of her legs (which made me think of eczema right away b/c that's where my sister gets it), on her neck and her arms are really dry. I thought at first it was a reaction to sunblock, though we used it last year I thought maybe it went bad over the winter. I also had been using new baby wash and so stopped that too. The leg patches cleared up but her arms are still really dry. My husband took her in for her 18 month appointment today and they said she has eczema and prescribed clotrimader + HC 1%. I don't really want to use it though unless she gets a bad patch. I don't think her rashes are bad enough to warrant it. She's not scratching them and I'm still thinking it's an allergic reaction. You can barely see any rash anyway. We also had the humidifier on all the time until recently, I'm thinking I should turn that back on.
I don't have money to buy special soaps and lotions but I do have a bunch of natural stuff like coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, aloe vera, etc. I was applying a home made lotion bar but it doesn't seem to be helping. I also hate her feeling all greased up so only apply it at night. Any other suggestions? Is Aveeno lotion good? I know I can do the Aveeno baths if she gets really bad. Should I do an elimination diet? The thought stresses me out right now as I'm due in 2 1/2 weeks.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So, doctor says my 18 month old has eczema

Emu oil!
http://www.4dacresemuoil.com/Emu-Oil...=0&sort_field=
It will last you a loooong time because you only need a tiny bit and it goes a long way, I swear by it for my kiddos flair ups.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD had baby eczema but has since outgrown it for the most part. We tried a ton of stuff and the only thing that helped the bad spots was cortizone cream. She would get it on her cheeks really bad and the cortizone would clear it up really quickly. We also use Vaseline creamy for her all over lotion and it seems to help too. We still put that on her every day and only ever now and then, mostly in the winter, does she have a spot that needs the cortizone. My nephews have eczema and my sister has always used Aquaphor with good results, but I can't stand all that greasiness either.
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

creams: sween or acid mantle i would try as not oily. aquaphor is oily but is like acid mantle & sween. sween is about 15 for 16 oz. acid mantle is kinda high so i buy online where it is cheaper. aquaphor at hyvee i think for 10.00....creams are thicker & i8 like better than lotions.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Yes aveeno is good. DS1 had patches and several prescriptions to rub on them over time about a yr ago. Switching to aveeno bath wash and aveeno eczema creme cleared it right up.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Yes aveeno is good. DS1 had patches and several prescriptions to rub on them over time about a yr ago. Switching to aveeno bath wash and aveeno eczema creme cleared it right up.
Aveeno burned my kiddo she is so darn sensitive.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aquaphor is the best unmedicated stuff I found. I like shea moisture eczema soap and lotion for routine use.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
Aquaphor is the best unmedicated stuff I found. I like shea moisture eczema soap and lotion for routine use.

We recently took food dyes out of our dd1's diet, and her eczema completely healed within days. It was like a miracle! She also flares up with oranges or if she rolls in the grass...we're not sure what all her triggers are, but those are the worst ones. We (yes, me too) also react to most liquid hand soaps.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I just remembered, about 2 days ago she suddenly had a bad patch of eczema on her wrist. Wasn't there in the morning and was there at bed time. It was much better in the morning yesterday. The only thing I can think of that she had different was we were out of goat's milk and I gave her regular cow's milk that I have for the daycare kids. I think she's only had cow's milk once before and only a tiny bit. I wonder if that caused the flair up.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son had pretty bad eczema all of his back and in his head. We use cetaphil bar soap and cetaphil lotion every night after bath and it cleared it up and he has never had a recurrence. It's a little pricey but definitely worth it.