Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Chicken pox?

I'm 20 weeks pregnant now and have a 5yo and 2yo who've received the vaccine. I have a close friend who is doing a "pox party" to try and expose her kids and gain immunity that way.
(Debating the while vaccine/exposure thing NOT the point, so please don't derail the thread).

My question is this:
Should I avoid her and her kids for a period of time to make sure I'm not exposed? Since I'm pregnant.

Actual reliable sources appreciated (medical literature, studies, articles, etc).

I'm leaning towards "yes" bc I know the vaccine doesn't 100% protect my kids, and on top of being mildly concerned that I could expose myself/baby (only mildly bc I've already had it), I REALLY REALLY don't want to deal with a pair of whiney, itchy kids. *blush*

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken pox?

I probably would stay away. Unless your 2yo has had both the rounds of the vaccine then he/she could still get it. I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with it while pregnant! I don't do the chicken pox vaccine until 3, but I know I would NOT want to deal with my kids getting the chicken pox while being pregnant....so I would definitely be considering doing the vaccine rounds a little sooner if need be! Haha
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes, even with both rounds of the vac, your kids are still susceptible to the virus...they just probably would have a very mild case. Both of my children got the pox in march :P mild cases, but still very much the chicken pox.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
saturn
Registered Users

A single dose of chickenpox vaccine given in childhood is about 90% effective, according to this review article:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...-3303.abstract
The second dose usually is given at 4-6 yrs of age, so your 5 yr old may have had it but your 2 yr old probably has not. So if your kids were exposed, there's a small but significant risk that they could develop a milder form of chickenpox ("mild" means <50 pox). Since you've had the disease, it's not likely that you would get it again. If it was me, I'd keep my kids away until everyone has recovered -it's not worth taking the chance of having sick, miserable, pox-y kids on your hands while you are pregnant.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You should have had a chicken pox titer with your initial blood work with your pregnancy. This will tell you your immunity level with it. My level actually went up when I got pregnant. Don't know how that happened but I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Your children though have likely NOT had a titer to check their immunity. So I think I would stay away unless for some reason your child's ped has tested both of your children recently.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would avoid them for a while too, mostly because of risk for your kids.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
You should have had a chicken pox titer with your initial blood work with your pregnancy. This will tell you your immunity level with it. My level actually went up when I got pregnant. Don't know how that happened but I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Your children though have likely NOT had a titer to check their immunity. So I think I would stay away unless for some reason your child's ped has tested both of your children recently.

Good luck!
I know they didn't run a varicella titer. They did one for rubella (I'm immune), but not varicella. I had it when I was a kid, so I'm not as worried about myself. Just wasn't sure if it was something that mutated like the flu virus can.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it can mutate but you immunity can go down over the years. I had an AWFUL case of it when I was 10. All over, not in my lungs but everywhere else. My immunity went steadlily down till this pregnancy. I don't know if I was exposed to it and didn't know it or what. I can't get the vaccine again (my history doesn't allow for it) so I am glad that it went back up. I have been tested more times then I can count as an adult. I used to work with children and it was a good idea to do.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Linking on my phone is a pain. However, if you google CDC and varicella, you can obtain good information about the vaccine. After both doses, greater than 95% of children will have complete immunity. It is a fallacy that the vaccine only means you will have a lesser case of chicken pox. Having had chicken pox yourself, you also have immunity (although sone people - likely those who do not acquire immunity from the vaccine) do not gain complete lifetime immunity from the wild disease.

Ultimately this means that, if your children are vaccinated and you have had the disease, there is no reason to avoid your friend. However, I tend to be more cautious during pregnancy.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Well, we took my DS2 to try to get exposed (STILL didn't work!!) a month ago, and the little boy who had it was fully vax'd (both doses), and still had a full-blown, doctor verified, case of pox. He contracted it from his dad, who had shingles.