Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

MMR vaccine and pregnancy

My son received his MMR vaccine at his last well visit (15 months) and he is having a mild reaction to the shot 8 days later. Fever of 101.4 and rash over his face and torso. Took him to the doctor today to get checked and they said, yes this was a reaction to the shot and he should be fine in a few days.

We did not want to get this vaccine while I was pregnant because i have read that a reaction to the shot could have an adverse affect on your pregnancy, but only in the first trimester. My question is, what is that adverse affect and why is it only a worry in the first trimester? The ped didn't know anything so I decided to ask you ladies!!!

I'm in my second trimester so I'm not really worried, I just want to know why I should be worried if I was in the first trimester.

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: MMR vaccine and pregnancy

I don't think it has anything to do with that particular vaccine but they just typically don't do any vaccines in the first trimester. I can't remember the reason, but they say it's best to do vaccines towards the end of the pregnancy if you need them.
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD got measles from the vaccine. I think that's the concern, they are live viruses. You wouldn't want measles in the first trimester because it could cause birth defects to the developing baby. I hate that vaccine.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok I knew it had something to do with the fact that it was a live vaccine. I think he has a mild form of measles poor guy. He's so pitiful
Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

My daughter was horrendous for about a week. She screamed her little lungs out and was just pitiful. It gradually improved the week after that. I hope your little man feels better soon!

If it makes you feel better, my doctor said that kids who have reactions will have much stronger immunity to the real virus than kids that do not have reactions. I kind of had to roll my eyes though--that's because they have the disease! Of course they're immune now.

Last edited by jen_batten; 05-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

any vaccine I would stay away from IN pregnancy. you do not know if your baby can tolerate that in utero much less out of the womb. I would only do it when you are postpartum if you are for vaccines.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

also for the record, my mother was exposed to Measles from a vaccinated kid many yrs ago and she was pregnant. my brother died a week after birth due to multiple issues/birth defects from the measles she had. she was 5 months pregnant when exposed.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the risk of you getting something is VERY small. My son got the MMR vaccine a week (actually I think it was less then that) before I started chemo for lymphoma. By definition, this means that a doctor took away my immune system less then a week after my son (whom I am his primary caretaker) got his MMR. The Ped did call my oncologist to confirm that it was okay to give him, but I think generally speaking the risk of NOT getting the vaccine is greater then the risk of getting it.

To me a pregnancy isn't much different. I could have died (no I am not joking, it is a risk) if I got any illness when I was in chemo. As it was I was hospitalized for 3 days after chemo for neutropinic fever (not illness, just too low of a white blood cell count that caused a fever).

I hope your child feels better soon!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom
also for the record, my mother was exposed to Measles from a vaccinated kid many yrs ago and she was pregnant. my brother died a week after birth due to multiple issues/birth defects from the measles she had. she was 5 months pregnant when exposed.
Wow, probably not the best information to share.

Mama, I'm sure you are going to be okay. Talk to your ob if you are concerned. And I do understand your concerns, a child of a good friend of ours got shingles when I was in my first trimester, thankfully I was out of town when it all came down but I still was uncomfortable being around their family for about a month.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

My doctor does an antibody test for rubella during the first trimester. If you flunk, you can't get vaccinated, but you would know to be super careful. Maybe that has something to do with it?