Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #601
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever
For some reason, it made me twitch to hear the vocations of doctors, lawyers, and teachers referred to as trades when I've always heard these referred to as professions.
Ditto. I'm not saying a trade is a less desirable end point but they are different. The above listed ARE professions not trades.

Advertisement

5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #602
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Second Wives Club

While I agree they are not trades, I think what she's trying to say is that those are degrees where you leave college having a specific job. Although if I told DH he was in "trade school" he'd get a real kick out of that. That's ok though, good to keep him humble.
holly6737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #603
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Impressive number of posts and views. I wonder what the DS record is!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #604
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

Oh, a DS record, that would awesome. It's slowing down, maybe I need to inject some controversy.

I think the confessions thread might hold the record.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #605
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeast View Post
Oh, a DS record, that would awesome. It's slowing down, maybe I need to inject some controversy.

I think the confessions thread might hold the record.
You can sort (if you're not mobile) by clicking on 'Views' or 'Replies' to see which threads have the most.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #606
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
While I agree they are not trades, I think what she's trying to say is that those are degrees where you leave college having a specific job. Although if I told DH he was in "trade school" he'd get a real kick out of that. That's ok though, good to keep him humble.
Agreed. They are usually considered "Professional" preparation programs...programs that provide readiness for specific jobs. Law and medicine are two areas, though IMO most other medical professionals should also be included, along with dental professionals, veterinary professionals, etc. To some extent teaching would be the same way, as might be social work, though I don't know that those areas of study are generally lumped in as professional degrees. The difference being that those professional programs really only prepare you for that specialty, whereas even in advanced degree programs, there are frequently a variety of directions one could take his/her career in, KWIM?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #607
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post

Agreed. They are usually considered "Professional" preparation programs...programs that provide readiness for specific jobs. Law and medicine are two areas, though IMO most other medical professionals should also be included, along with dental professionals, veterinary professionals, etc. To some extent teaching would be the same way, as might be social work, though I don't know that those areas of study are generally lumped in as professional degrees. The difference being that those professional programs really only prepare you for that specialty, whereas even in advanced degree programs, there are frequently a variety of directions one could take his/her career in, KWIM?
That's how I read it as well. A law degree is far more specific than a business degree.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote