Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

What is your go-to meal when you just don't feel like cooking?

Am not feeling the cooking love these days. Normally, we are very healthy eaters and I don't mind making dinner. Our CSA will start in June, maybe that will help things. But lately, I have been doing some things like making a batch of potato salad, and then having that with BLTs one night, hot dogs the next. Last night when DH got home from work, I ran to the grocery store for hamburger buns and a few things and then we had mozzarella/tomato/pesto sandwiches and potato chips because I just didn't feel like cooking lamb burgers like I had planned. Is freezer cooking the answer? Being less lazy?

Advertisement

BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Re: What is your go-to meal when you just don't feel like cooking?

My go-to is some kind of tacoy-burritoey thing. Use uncooked flour tortillas from costco...cook them up then fill with rice, meat and/or beans. Top with lettuce (cut up or just lay a leaf on top), tomatoes or salsa, avocados, sliced peppers, etc. I like this because it is relatively fast, customizable to individual tastes, and doesn't heat up my kitchen. We have this at least once a week during the summer.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Frozen pizza, canned soup or/and sandwiches my oldest can do.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
SweetMamaKaty
Registered Users
seller
seller

UGH, I feel you on the lazy-chef thing, posting to sub. Just not into it right now. My go-to is spaghetti - boil some pasta, brown some meat, throw the sauce in and heat. Bake some garlic bread if I'm feeling fancy.
IHA/ISO
SweetMamaKaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMamaKaty View Post
UGH, I feel you on the lazy-chef thing, posting to sub. Just not into it right now. My go-to is spaghetti - boil some pasta, brown some meat, throw the sauce in and heat. Bake some garlic bread if I'm feeling fancy.
If I do spagetti no meat just noodles & sauce
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Emmalily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMamaKaty
This is my go to quick meal too. But I need some more ideas. Since I started working I hate to come home and cook.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Eggs-omlets, breakfast tacos,quiche

Quesadillas-cheese and chicken or cheese and spinach

Frozen pizza or frozen lasagna
Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Grilled chicken or fish and a salad. Easy clean up, fast, healthy and doesn't heat up my kitchen.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalily View Post
This is my go to quick meal too. But I need some more ideas. Since I started working I hate to come home and cook.

I think freezer meals is likely best. I am not very good at keeping up on freezer meals but you can try things like making an extra frozen meatloaf. mashed potatoes freese well with it.

Some soups do well frozen. So does lasagna. Though that last is a lot of work to make. When I was cooking lasagna(conflicting dietary needs put a stop to that) I would make 3 at a time. Use one for dinner and freeze 2 for later use.

Chili freezes well. So does chili mac.

Chili frozen can be thawed and served over potatoes with cheese sprinkled on top. My kids love this. It can also be used the next day for chili, cheese dogs. I have also served it on top of french fries for chili cheese fries.

I have also made chicken parmesan for freezing. I cook the breaded chicken. Cool, then freeze and bag. I place it into a disposable baking pan with a bag of marinara sauce and mazzarella cheese. It is only a matter of minutes to assemble and place in the oven to bake. Boil pasta to serve under it. Dinner served with less time than it takes to go to the store. Don't forget to cover with tinfoil as the frozen chicken takes longer to thaw and heat than the cheese takes to brown. I do thaw the sauce before using.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 05-23-2013 at 10:20 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Breakfast, quesadillas or baked flautas, grilled or cold sandwiches, egg or tuna salad on crackers...
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote