Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Basically TGIF!

Hola mamacitas! Half day at school, and I am helping in both classes. Gah!

Yup, Mel, no grades in MI K-3. I have heard rumors about grades in 4, but I have not confirmed that. They do have grades in middle school, which starts at grade 5 in our district. So far K-3 has been plus/check/minus in exceed/meet/does not meet standard (or other symbols that mean the same thing).

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically TGIF!

I think that is how it was in WY too, there was a satisfactory, exceeds, average below average sort of system I think. Still waiting to hear about Bella's math :/ I might go morel hunting today, not sure. I need to go mow. It is cold and blustery out.

"Oh, dear. I really ought to do something. But I am all ready in my pajamas."
redgirlsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stupid cold here too.

The girls will occasionally bring home tests graded on a 100% scale, but I can't tell the difference between a review test and a diagnostic one. I will get riled up over a 74%, then she will tell me, um...I had the highest grade because we haven't done the unit yet. Part of the IB curriculum (conforms to european as well as US standards) evidently includes a pretest to determine how to scale the assignments for each student. So basically IDK how they are doing from what they bring home until report card time. Which has not been an issue since there are no grades. :/
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Confusing Cheryl. Jack gets number grades on all papers with red pen! But his reports Card in graded 1-4

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
And we are currently waiting at the camper dealer. There's something wrong with the hitch. They are going to see if they an find someone to adjust it :rollseyes:

Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, now that I have had my coffee, I see my last post makes no sense. What I meant to say is between ME not knowing the difference between the diagnostic pretests and the "real" tests, and the girls only bringing home some but not all of their work, randomly forgetting to turn stuff in, etc I never really know how they are doing until report card time. And even then I just know if it meets or exceeds the standard, nothing more than that. I know they are above grade level in everything, but only because the teachers tell me in conferences. So it is frustrating, the girls really aren't learning consequences of not turning stuff in yet.

HOWEVER, and IDK exactly how it will work at our middle school, but from what I hear about the middle school in the next district over from the mom's group at our church, is that middle schools have grades and it is all tracked online. So you know what assignments the kid has turned in, and what their grades are, in real time. Assuming of course that your kid is turning stuff in, and the teacher is not hugely behind in inputting the grades. So I am guessing it will work in a similar manner at our middle school. None of the girls' friends have middle school sibs though so I haven't found out yet.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cheryl jacks teacher sends home Everything every day. It is a ridiculous amount of papers

Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, it's kinda dumb. On the one hand, I totally get at the lower levels you really only need to know if they are meeting the standard or not. But I personally have seen that most kids start losing paperwork at 3rd grade (at all three elementary schools the girls have attended), because before then homework is not all that significant except for maybe projects. I know *I* had to learn the hard way about zeros in 3rd/4th grade, and my mom was pissed that the teachers were insistent that kids be responsible for their own crap, and wouldn't do syllabuses or anything that allowed for tracking missing assignments by parents - they found out at conferences and report card time too. This was pre-computers tho. I am totally fine with the girls learning the hard way, but they have to have the *opportunity* to learn the hard way for it to happen.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here the kids are supposed to be managing all their graded stuff in their mailbox, and taking stuff from the mailbox home, as well as managing the incomplete assignments/homework in the homework folder. Which is hit and miss with the girls. They never want to purge their folders, I literally have to stand with them every day and tell them you don't keep that in your folder, it's graded and I have seen it. You don't throw that away, you didn't finish it or got a grade on it yet. And where is your spelling list? They are seriously organization-impaired. I have been doing every day since they started school here, and none of it is sinking in.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just realized what morel hunting was Jess. Holy cow, you go mushroom scavenging? I don't think I could distinguish different wild mushrooms and would wind up killing everyone or making us all high. I have a hard enough time distinguishing the garden plants *I* put in, because I forget what they are as soon as they are in the ground. I tried putting in labeling stakes but the squirrels here don't care for the look, I guess.