Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you eat less to be thrifty/cut grocery bill?

I do often portion out the expensive part of a meal or pre dish leftovers, but we don't go hungry. Also, meal planning is good but meal planning around the sales is better. If you are buying produce that's great, but shop what is in season and fresh. look in teh pantry and fridge first. Then look at the sale papers, THEN make a meal plan. If you are only buying what is one sale and cheap you rnumbers will come down. Unless you are in a dang high cost of living area it should be doable.

Advertisement

slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

These are all awesome suggestions. One thing that we do that can help stretch things a bit is only eat 2 meals a day (once or twice a week). We will do a big breakfast of pancakes, eggs and fruit (sometimes meat) or something similar around 10ish and then a bigger late lunch/early dinner. I will offer my kidlets an apple and maybe a homemade muffin in the morning to hold them over and we will often make popcorn or a home baked good in the evening before bed. Another thing we did is go meatless a couple of times a week. Baked mac and cheese (homemade), home made pizza and frittatas are my go to meatless meals that are sure to please. Pair any of these with a salad/fruit/steamed veggies and you have a well rounded inexpensive meal. I have found that you have to think outside the meal box sometimes to save a bit. We are a family of 6 (but one is 11 weeks old) in a moderate food COL area and have a grocery budget of $400 (toiletries and household items included). We do raise some of our food and that helps a ton (nearly all of our meat we raise, barter for or hubby hunts). Keep searching your area for options to lower your food budget!!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the replies! First off, what is cocooning? Also, to the poster who mentioned asking yourself if you want carrot sticks for a snack if you think you're hungry: my mom taught me the same thing! So I try and offer myself carrots or an apple and use my response to see if I'm actually hungry. Fun to see someone else who does the same thing.

We don't eat all organic, but we do have dietary restrictions (no gluten and no dairy). I no longer buy substitute goods because they were so pricey, but those restrictions might be influencing our grocery bill. I do love getting those big bags of frozen veggies at Costco- they're definitely the best price I've found. It probably would help a lot though to start looking at sale flyers before I meal plan. I will have to start doing that.

Where we lived before, we did Bountiful Baskets. Here, we signed up for a CSA share and that's just started last week. Hopefully getting our fresh produce that way will lower the overall cost if I'm not buying produce during regular shopping.

I also think I'll definitely have to start doing what steely_cass suggested about when there's enough for one meal, but not quite enough for two when we "have at it" Do you find it helps to restrict the main dish portions if you have additional sides? I may have to change my cooking style a bit. I do a lot of "one-pan" meals, where I just mix everything together, so this can be a little harder to do, but I think it's a good idea.

Thanks again for all the responses!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmare View Post
Thanks for all the replies! First off, what is cocooning? Also, to the poster who mentioned asking yourself if you want carrot sticks for a snack if you think you're hungry: my mom taught me the same thing! So I try and offer myself carrots or an apple and use my response to see if I'm actually hungry. Fun to see someone else who does the same thing.

We don't eat all organic, but we do have dietary restrictions (no gluten and no dairy). I no longer buy substitute goods because they were so pricey, but those restrictions might be influencing our grocery bill. I do love getting those big bags of frozen veggies at Costco- they're definitely the best price I've found. It probably would help a lot though to start looking at sale flyers before I meal plan. I will have to start doing that.

Where we lived before, we did Bountiful Baskets. Here, we signed up for a CSA share and that's just started last week. Hopefully getting our fresh produce that way will lower the overall cost if I'm not buying produce during regular shopping.

I also think I'll definitely have to start doing what steely_cass suggested about when there's enough for one meal, but not quite enough for two when we "have at it" Do you find it helps to restrict the main dish portions if you have additional sides? I may have to change my cooking style a bit. I do a lot of "one-pan" meals, where I just mix everything together, so this can be a little harder to do, but I think it's a good idea.

Haha I think that was me! Cocooning=coupon ing on autocorrect apparently
Old 05-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmare View Post

I think it certainly helps to have something as a side! I do a fair amount of one-pan meals as well, but I almost always throw together a salad or steam some broccoli or something to go with it. For example, with the enchiladas example I gave earlier, I could have just done the enchiladas and some salad for one meal. But I added refried beans and rice and it stretched it to 2 meals without adding much cost at all!

If I do grilled chicken and broccoli, everyone is going to want to eat a whole chicken breast. But if I also bake some sweet potatoes, a half breast is plenty! Basically, I try to stretch out the more expensive parts of a meal as much a possible without my family (ok, mainly DH) having to "feel" that.
steely_cass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Would love to see some more main/side pairings ideas. We too do a lot of 1 dish meals and I'd love to be able to spread them out a bit more. The enchiladas is the perfect example of something that is completely gone in 1 meal. We also try to limit carbs though, so maybe I just need to make sure there's is a veggie side ever night. I will not be well loved for this :-P

I Swagbucks
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
libbyl
Registered Users
seller

I generally dont buy much meat. We are not vegetarians, though sometimes we eat like we are. When I use meat, it is almost always in a soup or casserole. It is rare to have just meat, by itself, not in something, because that requires more meat. When I do make just meat it is a big treat- like tonight we had chicken kabobs as our main dish, and it was soo tasty to have MEAT
Soup is a great thing to make for lunches or dinners to save some money on groceries. Soup goes a long way and it fills you up. We have some favorite meetless soups, too, which are even thriftier. Ideas: Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chile, Taco Soup, Vegetarian Vegetable (can also add alphabet noodles to impress the kiddos).

I just made these refried beans in the slow cooker for the second time. They are so tasty- even my 3 year old and 7 year old really like them. They are soooo filling. Today for breakfast I made Breakfast Burritos, with some of these beans, cheese, and scrambled eggs. We like them as a side with shredded cheese, or for lunch/dinner as Bean and Cheese Burritos.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...refried-beans/
Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't to the point of people being hungry, but I do watch our grocery bill.

Meat I always buy in bulk or on sale. If it is a really good price, I stock up. I was buying boneless skinless chicken breasts from GFS. Their 40 pound box would last us 2-3 months with creative meal planning. They raised their prices on it recently though so I am back to shopping around again. I try to look for items that can be used for multiple meals too. For instance, if I cook a whole chicken as the main course for dinner one night, I will pick the carcass and then use that meat for soup.

Snack food I only buy what's on sale. So whatever brand of potato chips, cookies, candy, etc. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, so I will stock up on enough 75%+ off Easter candy to get me into the summer, LOL. These are probably our biggest splurge, and I could cut it if things were tight.

Fruit/veggies I try to buy what is in season and on sale. So for us right now that's a lot of strawberries. Aldi often has some good fruit/veggie prices (though not organic).

We eat a lot of rice/pasta as sides. Cheap and filling.

We were spending a ton on milk, so the bigger kids are limited to one glass a day now. They also get a glass of juice per day, and then the rest of the time it is water.

Breakfast for dinner is a big hit. Pancakes are cheap to do, scrambled eggs. I will save the leftover bits of bread and make french toast casserole.

I also started to watch portion controls. I found that while my nearly 8 year-old likes to help pour cereal for breakfast, she was way overportioning it and either they were over-eating or throwing it out. A trip to the dollar store for a cheap set of measuring cups solved that problem pretty quickly.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Gonna jump in here. I live in a crazy HCOL area and what has helped me most of all is costco. I actually have both SAMS and Costco but thats only because I have a fam of 4 and no toddlers and the club stores are still cheaper even after coupons which sucks.

Get yourself some of those ziploc containers and portion out your nuts and snacks. Seriously, if we dont our portion size ends up being double because it doesnt LOOK big next to the mega costco bag. they make little 1/2 cup ones that are perfect for nuts and dried fruit. You can even portion out frozen fruit for snacks if its more cost effective.

Dont be afraid to buy the 5 doz eggs if it saves money. We go through the 5 doz in about 2 weeks and it saves me a few $ buying them all at once instead of by the single doz. Eggs have a shelf life or 3-4 weeks past the "expiration" when refrigerated properly. Its actually a sell by date not the expiration.

Are you buying bottled sauces? I spend about 600-800 in average and have fish/shrimp 2x week and steak or beef at least once. We dont eat ground.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
booth2490
Registered Users
seller

Not much to add here, but I have a chicken and rice recipe (casserole) that calls for whole breasts on the rice. I started cutting up the chicken and each person probably eats less than a whole piece. Also, if I grill chicken, I'll cut off the tender side (the part that gets sold as chicken tenders) and save for another meal.

I find that my DH will eat more snacks if dinner wasn't as substantial as normal, making up for it. I'd probably have to tell him to scale back and why we needed to. He also doesn't eat breakfast, so he eats a snack at night to compensate.