Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Left nipple sore abd ds wont stay latched

DS is 10 days old. When he eats it takes him multiple tries to latch on. After he eats for a bit he bites down and pops off. Then he starts crying and trying to relatch. My right nipple feels fine but my left feels bruised from the biting down. Any ideas what may be going on? How to help him latch and stay latched? Why he is popping off?

Advertisement

alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you think you are having a fast letdown when he does this? My DD2 would clamp down, pop off, and get mad when I had a very fast letdown that she couldn't handle. DD1 just choked and sputtered If you think that is the case, you can try to take the baby off right before and letdown into a prefold before relatching. The baby will be better able to handle the fast flow the bigger he gets.

You could also try pumping just through the initial letdown to see if that helps.

Last edited by juliasmom; 06-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom
Do you think you are having a fast letdown when he does this? My DD2 would clamp down, pop off, and get mad when I had a very fast letdown that she couldn't handle. DD1 just choked and sputtered If you think that is the case, you can try to take the baby off right before and letdown into a prefold before relatching. The baby will be better able to handle the fast flow the bigger he gets.

You could also try pumping just through the initial letdown to see if that helps.
That could be it. Sometimes he chokes a d coughs too. Ill try that!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Left nipple sore abd ds wont stay latched

Yes, I agree with pp, especially now that you mention the choking and coughing....definitely from the milk flowing fast suddenly. Popping baby off for that initial strong letdown will help.

And, it's totally normal for it still to take several tries to latch on at 10 days old. It takes a while for both baby and mom to get good at it. Give it a good 6-8wks to really get nursing down well.

Congrats on your new baby and great job!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
Yes, I agree with pp, especially now that you mention the choking and coughing....definitely from the milk flowing fast suddenly. Popping baby off for that initial strong letdown will help.

And, it's totally normal for it still to take several tries to latch on at 10 days old. It takes a while for both baby and mom to get good at it. Give it a good 6-8wks to really get nursing down well.

Congrats on your new baby and great job!
Thank you
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Kquiet
Registered Users
seller

My DD does the same, in her case it's because of acid reflux or because she needs to burp.
Kquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you engorged on that side? Enforcement flattened the nipple and makes it hard for baby to latch.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote