Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
IS WATER KEFIR SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE THIS???

Yuck! Like liquid sourdough starter? I'm dissolving 4 T sucanat in 1 qt water and soaking for 24 hours. Dh hates it, the boys are iffy, but dd likes it with lemon or orange juice freshly squeezed into it. I am forcing myself to drink it so I could stop buying probiotics.

But wow- not a new favorite drink. (I bought my grains from cultures for life and I've rehydrated them and made maybe 3-4 batches so far, 24-30 hours fermented each time.)

Tonight I will be starting a batch with coconut water and hopefully it will have a nicer taste? The batch that will be done tonight I plan to mix with stevia-sweetened hibiscus tea. Hopefully that will be better.

Anyone have tricks to improve the taste without adding juice to it? I try to avoid juice unless I fresh-squeeze it myself.

THANKS in advance!

Advertisement

momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: IS WATER KEFIR SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE THIS???

I followed some directions on youtube. I put water grains, raw sugar, a little dried fruit adn a small piece of lemon in for 24 hours. Then I do a second ferment, with a lot of lemon (half a lemon to 1 quart) and pureed fruit. Whatever I have, Usually strawberries. I actually puree a bunch at a time adn freeze in an ice cube tray and throw it in frozen. Raspberry is good too. It tastes like a strong berry lemonaide. We prefer it in smoothies. I LOVE it in smoothies gives them an awesome tangy taste. But plain I don't love it. And I could never gag it down off just the first ferment.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last night the batch that came out was a little better because it was super-fizzy. I added the juice of 1 lemon and 2 oranges and even dh was ok with it. I didn't know about a second ferment, though. That sounds good- BUT fermenting the fruit- doesn't that make it alcoholic?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last night the batch that came out was a little better because it was super-fizzy. I added the juice of 1 lemon and 2 oranges after removing the grains and even dh was ok with it. I didn't know about a second ferment, though. That sounds good- BUT fermenting the fruit- doesn't that make it alcoholic?

Last edited by momomom; 06-05-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We always made ours using grape juice. It was always so good. It tasted like a grape drink I remember drinking as a kid - NuGrape.

The reason we ultimately stopped making water kefir is one time I think it was left to ferment too long. When I drank it it kind of burned my throat, but I didn't think anything more about it. Until the next morning when I couldn't leave the bathroom. That stuff messed me up and I never drank another drop after that! I'm not sure what we did wrong on that batch (DH had been making it for probably a year) but it scared me away from it!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post
Last night the batch that came out was a little better because it was super-fizzy. I added the juice of 1 lemon and 2 oranges after removing the grains and even dh was ok with it. I didn't know about a second ferment, though. That sounds good- BUT fermenting the fruit- doesn't that make it alcoholic?
All the directions I've seen caution against adding any fruit or fruit juice until you have done a ferment and removed the grains. However, I think it is also possible to ferment just in juice, but juice will break down the grains faster; they won't last indefinitely like w/ sugar ferments. Therefore, it is good to keep some grains in sugar water in the fridge while using the other half for your juice ferment. As for adding fruits while it is fermenting, they will break down and be hard to separate out from the grains. All kefir runs the risk of being alcoholic. I think that even when fermented properly it is about 1% alcohol. I always just drink it straight, but I can only handle tiny sips of kefir anyhow. My therbiotic complete probiotics are just way better on my system and more diverse, so I see the kefir as something to occasionally add (I leave it in sugar water in the fridge for weeks at a time before a new ferment).

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
karaintx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Def do a second ferment. I have a friend who adds a couple spoonfuls of sugar to the 2nd ferment. Its def helps as hers is super fizzy
Old 06-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post
Never has been alcoholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
All the directions I've seen caution against adding any fruit or fruit juice until you have done a ferment and removed the grains. However, I think it is also possible to ferment just in juice, but juice will break down the grains faster; they won't last indefinitely like w/ sugar ferments. Therefore, it is good to keep some grains in sugar water in the fridge while using the other half for your juice ferment. As for adding fruits while it is fermenting, they will break down and be hard to separate out from the grains. All kefir runs the risk of being alcoholic. I think that even when fermented properly it is about 1% alcohol. I always just drink it straight, but I can only handle tiny sips of kefir anyhow. My therbiotic complete probiotics are just way better on my system and more diverse, so I see the kefir as something to occasionally add (I leave it in sugar water in the fridge for weeks at a time before a new ferment).
I strain the grains out before the second ferment. So I do 24 hours with a dab of lemon and dried fruit like rasins with the grains and of course the sugar. Then strain that out and then do the second ferment with no grains and some blended up berries and lemons. I watched a youtube video and that's how she did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaintx View Post
Def do a second ferment. I have a friend who adds a couple spoonfuls of sugar to the 2nd ferment. Its def helps as hers is super fizzy
Once in a while I will add a little sugar to my second ferment and it does fizz more.

Last edited by slimy72; 06-10-2013 at 02:05 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
karaintx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just added a spoon of sugar to our second ferment with tonights WK. We will see how it goes. My kids looove it.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK, after some really easy and 'duh' troubleshooting, my grains are making a perfect batch every 24 hours (in plain coconut sugar water). Then I do a second ferment with just a bit of juice- or just 2 t vanilla which has it tasting like cream soda.

I was thinking originally you could drink it straight-up after the first ferment, but now I get the 'why' of needing the second ferment to mellow the flavor and let the bacteria keep 'eating'.

Thanks, all!