Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
slk202
Registered Users
seller

How to strip used diapers...Help!

I have purchased a number of used diapers - some in better condition than others. I have been told I need to strip them but have been given so many different ways to do it that I am just confused. Since part of the reason I am cloth diapering is to reduce the chemicals, etc., I'd like to find a way to do so that doesn't involve bleach or other harsh chemicals.

The used diapers are a combination of tons of GMD prefolds, Kissaluvs fitteds (these are very crunchy right now), a few PUL covers and a couple AIOs. Do I need to do any separately? I assume the covers don't need to be treated the same way as the others but then again I'm clueless...Help!

Advertisement

slk202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

The only way I know to completely disinfect is to use bleach. I ALWAYS bleach new to me diapers, I'm too afraid of ammonia, yeast, staph or any other nasty stuff that could be in there. Sun doesn't kill yeast.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
slk202
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to strip used diapers...Help!

That makes sense, I didn't think about yeast, etc. I am very unfamiliar with bleach - do I use it on everything? Including the covers? I assume I just buy some type of color safe bleach?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From what I have read you can also use grapefruit seed extract (GSE). You can pick it up at your local health food store. I wash my diapers like normal and then do another hot wash with 20 drops of GSE and a tsp of blue Dawn.
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

GFSE is still not going to be as effective as bleach. It is good for yeast spores but doesn't address some of the other possible issues. I just can't mess around with the possibility of infection so I go straight to bleach with used diapers. Household bleach is relatively safe and it will be rinsed out. Color safe will not work. You need basic Clorox type bleach. 1/4-1/2 cup in the dispenser. It can be used on everything but dont soak them in it.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
slk202
Registered Users
seller

Regular Clorox bleach won't ruin the colors on my pocket diapers? That makes me nervous! What about this boiling idea I read? If I boil them will the high temp kill everything?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk202 View Post
Regular Clorox bleach won't ruin the colors on my pocket diapers? That makes me nervous! What about this boiling idea I read? If I boil them will the high temp kill everything?
boiling can melt the snaps and PUL - only really safe to do with prefolds.

here is what I do w/ used diapers...... start washer filling w/ hot water, add a squirt of regular blue dawn & 1/4c to 1/2 cup of bleach, let it fill for a bit to dilute the bleach (so it wont fade your colors), add diapers, run wash & do a couple extra rinses until you can't smell the bleach on the diapers (so you know it is rinsed out).

DS has all OS fitteds w/ prints & the only time bleach has caused fading is when I did not let the washer fill enough to dilute the bleach before I added the diapers

Last edited by Junipervt; 06-06-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
jmnanny
Registered Users
seller

I dilute my bleach with water in a cup and pour it into the bleach dispenser
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use biokleen oxygen bleach. It's not bad for the environment, i do make sure I rinse extra. It sanitizes and strips in my opinion. Also the hotter the water the better its strips and sanitizes.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinofgod View Post
From what I have read you can also use grapefruit seed extract (GSE). You can pick it up at your local health food store. I wash my diapers like normal and then do another hot wash with 20 drops of GSE and a tsp of blue Dawn.
GSE is great but you need more of it. I use a half TBL for a half load and a full TBL for a full load in my front loader. It does help with the yeast but I wouldn't use it along. When dealing with yeast I use the oxygen bleach in the wash cycle and GSE in the rinse cycle.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote