Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
woopigsooie
Registered Users
seller

How to treat ammonia burn?

I've cloth diapered 4 kids and for the first time ever my baby has ammonia burn. It looks horrible! What is the best way to treat it? I've slathered her bum with desitin and put her is sposies all day yesterday, but it doesn't look better at all. Right now, she's coverless in a prefitted. Is there anything else I should do?

I searched the forum, but could only find info of getting rid of ammonia in diapers not how to treat the burn.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to treat ammonia burn?

Im so sorry mama When it happened to me with my first I:

1) Lathered his booty with a mix of triple butt paste & aquaphor
2) pat some breast milk in his booty and let him go coverless in thinner diapers without so many layers.

HTH and she gets better soon
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
K&Bmama
Registered Users

Ugh... Ammonia burn is the worst! We just dealt with it about a month ago. My daughter actually woke up with blood blisters on her bum from it. I did a lot of googling, and found nothing helpful. Basically, I tried putting her in sposies with extra strength desitin ( which usually takes care of a rash within a day or two for us) but didn't notice a huge difference. So when she was awake, I had her go coverless to let her skin breathe. I would just snappi on a flat diaper or a prefold and let her walk around and keep her as dry as i could, changing at the first sign of a dirty diaper. Then, during naps or bedtime, when I knew she would be in the same diaper for awhile, I would put on the extra strength desitin and either put her in a sposie or use a liner. I also used some antibiotic ointment only because she had actual blood blisters that popped open and I didn't want them to become infected. I feel like letting her skin breathe was actually more helpful during the day than using ointments n her. it was only at naptime and bedtime she had any ointments on. Her rash was horrible. I did read online that it takes a good few weeks for it to heal ( it is technically more of a Burn than a rash) and I found that to be true. It has been about a month and she is finally healed although she does have a small scar from one of the blisters. I feel your pain, mama! I hope we never have to go through that again! Hope your little one feels better soon.
K&Bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
mcsursely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hugs mama and baby! I hope some more experienced CDs can give you input.
mcsursely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

My DD used to get mild ammonia rashes and the nurse told me to have to take a baking soda bath and air it out as much as possible. When you are using ointments and disposable wipes watch out for the ones containing Vaseline/petroleum because that seals the skin so that it can't breathe. It will make it worse.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Bayasmomma
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiMom View Post
My DD used to get mild ammonia rashes and the nurse told me to have to take a baking soda bath and air it out as much as possible. When you are using ointments and disposable wipes watch out for the ones containing Vaseline/petroleum because that seals the skin so that it can't breathe. It will make it worse.
I'm curious if that's something that you've noticed on all of your rashes or if its just advice for ammonia rashes? I used disposables with my first and pure Vaseline was the ONLY thing that worked for hers. I guessed that she had an allergy to either something she was eating or something in the diapers and that the vaseline was forming a protective barrier. We have yet to deal with a rash with cloth so its all new territory for us .
Bayasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I usually do baking soda baths for DS and use a lanolin-based cream plus breathable diapers. I would probably just go for a soothing cream versus Desitin.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayasmomma View Post
I'm curious if that's something that you've noticed on all of your rashes or if its just advice for ammonia rashes? I used disposables with my first and pure Vaseline was the ONLY thing that worked for hers. I guessed that she had an allergy to either something she was eating or something in the diapers and that the vaseline was forming a protective barrier. We have yet to deal with a rash with cloth so its all new territory for us .
It's definitely something I've noticed for all of her rashes. It is also specifically what the doctor recommended to me - not to use petroleum products when she has a rash. Every time she had a diaper rash he would advise me to stop using wipes and just use mild soap and water to clean her until the rash cleared up because the petroleum in the wipes perpetuated the rash. It played a big roll in leading us to cloth diapers/wipes in the first place.

Also, like your DD, the recurrent rashes were happening when using disposables. Things got much better when we switched to cloth.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

lots and lots of naked time. aquafore or coconut oil for a cream when you put diapers on. change OFTEN and wash with warm water, wash off in the tub not with a wipe and pat/air dry.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

hugs to you both.

for any irritation we have, I only use lanolin, cotton, and wool. I'd try this first, but I don't want to steer you wrong as we haven't (yet-knock on wood) had a bad rash. I agree with all the baking soda baths. DS currently uses sposies at school and I've seen for us, that's much worse.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote