Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Supplements and the breast fed baby?

I am a month (exactly) from giving birth to my second take home baby. With my son I was just so happy to have him home with me that I did everything the doctor said even if it didn't make sense to me. This time I am trying to avoid that.

One of the things he wanted me to do was to put my EBF baby on Tri-vi-sol vitamins. I really don't want to use this again as my son HATED these and I have the stains on a few sheets to prove it!

Do EBF babies need supplements or is this something that I can fight them on?

I have tried to look for something not synthetic and I am not seeing anything for the newbie age. I can get Rainbow Light vitamins for a 6 month old so I might concede then but in the meanwhile, does anyone have anything I can show my ped that my newbie doesn't need vitamins while being EBF?

Thank you for the help!

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Supplements and the breast fed baby?

No, your baby does not need extra vitamins. IF you want to supplement with anything, it would be vitamin D, and you can get baby-D drops without all the fake stuff & not made by formula companies...you just put one drop on your nipple before feeding. Many moms are content to supplement themselves and not worry about supplementing babe - after all, BM is the perfect food, and there really isn't anything we need to do to make it "better."

Your ped should know this about BM. If not, personally, I'd seek out a more informed ped.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

No, your baby does not need extra vitamins. IF you want to supplement with anything, it would be vitamin D, and you can get baby-D drops without all the fake stuff & not made by formula companies...you just put one drop on your nipple before feeding. Many moms are content to supplement themselves and not worry about supplementing babe - after all, BM is the perfect food, and there really isn't anything we need to do to make it "better."

Your ped should know this about BM. If not, personally, I'd seek out a more informed ped.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They were not really that informed about breast feeding. They said that I had to come in for a weight check when DS was 2 weeks out of the hospital because I BF and they wanted to make sure he was getting enough. I guess this is standard for them. They also didn't believe us when we told them that the weight on the hospital discharge papers wasn't right and made us "pork up" our son for 24 hours and do a weight check then. So he had 3 weight checks in 2 weeks because I breastfed.

However they are great should there be a serious issue that comes up. So I sort of have a love/hate relationship with them. My son hasn't been there for over a year though because I am trying to get his well checks around his birthday (we missed his 3 year one and had a combo 3-4 year one). So right now they probably don't remember us well.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
leyash
Registered Users
seller

from my research, vitamin D is not found in large enough amounts in BM. this is why vitamin D is given in drops for the first year for EBF babies. beyond that, i don't think it's necessary. for my kiddo, i make sure he gets a bit of sun (he's 7 weeks), and is outdoors a bit. and i give him vitamin D drops on a regular basis, though not daily. other than that, i don't think babies need vitamins (personally) if they are EBF, neither does my pedi.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our Dr. recommeded the vit. D drops as well, but not anything else. DD doesn't seem to mind them at all. I didn't use them with ODD and she was ebf as well, didn't even know about them. Our Dr. said they have been seeing more cases of rickets (softening of the bones) because kids don't get enough vit. D.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is a good natural Vit. D for a newborn? I figure we are going to be outside quite a bit just because I also have a nearly 5 year old and I can't keep him cooped up all day.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We head outdoors, too. Haven't taken any supplements myself nor given him anything. My pediatrician never even mentioned it and she knows the baby is EBF. She even told me to hold off on solids because of the risk of allergies in my family. There just hasn't been any talk of it. I do know I was once upon a time vitamin d deficient so I tried a supplement (pre-pregnancy) and it didn't sit well with my stomach. I started spending a little time outdoors after that.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unfortunately, breastmilk is not perfect. Sorry.. It's not. If you are lacking a vitamin, your breastmilk will be lacking that vitamin. Your body can't give baby something it doesn't have - that's not logical. And while you're pregnant, your body prioritizes the baby, but after baby is out, your body prioritizes your needs over breastmilk production.

That being said, I just try to get baby outdoors everyday for vitamin D. Which many adults are deficient in anyways.

As for weight checks - totally normal. Don't let them scare you. If baby is having dirty diapers, things are likely fine even if it takes 3 weeks to get back to birth weight. I like weight checks, personally. As long as the number increased, I feel more confident that I'm nursing well.

Vitamin D questions are common and there's a reason - the research is confusing, lacking, etc etc. Best bet is to get something that's very natural or just get baby outdoors.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like Carlson's D Drops. It's what a PP mentioned earlier--tasteless, colorless, odorless drops that you can put on your nipple right before a feeding. It is fine for newborns. It just takes one drop a day.