Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
TheNerdyTurtle
Registered Users

My Mood:
Instead of lansinoh...

Could I use Coconut Oil when I start feeling chapped, or is there a concern with allergies?

I hate the greasy feeling of the lanolin products. ... and I already have come coconut oil, so, yeah.

Advertisement

TheNerdyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
jsullivan09
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Instead of lansinoh...

I actually ended up with thrush from using lanolin, said my OB. Of course, thousands of women use lanolin with no problem. Haha But after treating the thrush, I switched to coconut oil by recommendation of a friend, and I love it! My daughter never had a problem with the coconut oil and we're still breastfeeding a year later.
jsullivan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsullivan09
I actually ended up with thrush from using lanolin, said my OB. Of course, thousands of women use lanolin with no problem. Haha But after treating the thrush, I switched to coconut oil by recommendation of a friend, and I love it! My daughter never had a problem with the coconut oil and we're still breastfeeding a year later.
I can't use lanolin either.

I expressed breast milk and rubbed it into my nipples, which worked great.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
TheNerdyTurtle
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ooh, sorry about the thrush!

Thanks for the tip! I will try it out and see how we do. I have put it on his skin before, but wasn't sure if whatever tiny amount he *may* ingest would be bad or not.

I am pretty sure coconut oil is some magical substance that hasn't seen its full potential yet. It can probably cure cancer. I'm calling it.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
blessings4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

can coconut oil go bad?
Blessed to be a Wife to the most wonderful man in the world , SAHM to a beautiful 12 year old daughter with autism , baby we lost, 6 year old little man , and pregnant with baby girl We are crunchy on a budget, everything in moderation
blessings4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
jsullivan09
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know if coconut oil can go bad, I don't think so though. And I use coconut oil in some of the dishes I cook! I've seen a lot of Paleo recipes that use coconut oil, so I wouldn't be concerned about him digesting any unless he has an allergy to it. And YES to just using breast milk! Breast milk is another cure all in my house
jsullivan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
TheNerdyTurtle
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, I use it around the kitchen, too! I was only concerned because he is only 4.5 months old, and isn't coconut one of those big allergy things people get concerned about? Maybe? I know my sister is allergic.

I have no idea about the shelf life, though! Sorry!

I will try the BM, too! Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

Coconut oil is a good choice. Very few people are actually allergic to the oil. If you look on every brand of formula there is coconut oil in it. I found this out when we found out about my middle child's allergies, because it was a possible concern. The part of the coconut that people are usually allergic to is the fleshy part because of the protein in it. However the oil has a very small area for concern so it should be safe for you to use. Especially if you have used it on his skin with no problems. I have found that the coconut oil being used for chapped/sore nipples has helped my baby open wider and get a better latch, so I suppose he likes the taste of it. Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Coconut oil would be safe for a newborn's latch then?
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddlebunny_24 View Post
Coconut oil is a good choice. Very few people are actually allergic to the oil. If you look on every brand of formula there is coconut oil in it. I found this out when we found out about my middle child's allergies, because it was a possible concern. The part of the coconut that people are usually allergic to is the fleshy part because of the protein in it. However the oil has a very small area for concern so it should be safe for you to use. Especially if you have used it on his skin with no problems. I have found that the coconut oil being used for chapped/sore nipples has helped my baby open wider and get a better latch, so I suppose he likes the taste of it. Hope this helps.
This is true! People who are allergic to peanuts (My son is deathly allergic) Can have things fried in cold pressed peanut oil (HELLO CHICK FIL A!!!!) I would not be too concerned with allergies.
Also, since coconut oil does not have to be refrigerated I would not worry about shelf life, it will be long gone before it goes rancid.

What a great Idea to use coconut oil for this! It never even occurred to me.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote