Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,081
My Mood:
Okay, now I've dealt with it all

Well, not all, but close to it....

I'm nursing my 6th baby. He is 7 months old. Here is what I have dealt with in my nursing experiences: bad latch in a full term baby, low supply causing early weaning, exclusive pumping (2x) 2 sets of twins, NICU babies, exclusive pumping for one while nursing the other due to NICU, preemie issues requiring supplementation (babies not strong enough to suck causing me to have to nurse them both, then bottle feed them both, then pump...that was rough and I almost gave up, I had a 26 month old also.), weaning off supplementation and cold turkey stopping supplementations, a baby who pinches leaving me with bruises on my "milkies," low supply requiring supplementation (did everything under the sun including taking Domperidone and pumping around the clock to up my supply), over supply (enough to donate) causing over-active let down, mastitis over and over again, open and bleeding cracks on nips from a super strong suck with this baby, and finally, a yeast battle since my 1st was about 4 months old (I was misdiagnosed, then not treated properly or aggressively enough and now nothing works for it very well or long term because it is very resistant. My oldest is 7.5 years old and I've been dealing with it since he was about 4 months!). The yeast has been my biggest battle. It is what caused the first round of exclusive pumping, which lead to my supply drying up and early weaning. It also lead to me weaning both sets of twins at 16 months even though I may have otherwise done it longer (but I have almost no milk by then anyway, but still!) It is also probably the cause of my recurrent mastitis and probably added to the cracking this time. And, of course, the never ending toe curling pain it brings.

As if the above isn't enough, now, I have a milk blister! When I was searching around about them, I found a post from Feb where I responded to a friend that said, "this is one of the few things I haven't experienced..." It seems that just when I think I won't have any more nursing issues (except the continual yeast battle) because there is hardly anything else to get, something else pops up. Through all the other craziness, I'd never had bleeding nipples till this baby. Now this. I'm so sick of it all!! I just want to feed my baby. Why does it have to be so hard with every.single.baby?

Still, I will keep going. I will never give up like I did with my first. (I wish I hadn't....first time mom and all with no help for the extreme pain I was in despite seeing multiple drs and LC's.) If I have more babies, I will do it all again. And, I will forever be grateful that I can this and that through all this I am able to provide him with the nutrition he needs. It is truly a wonderful thing.

(I just hope my older children don't think that nursing is too hard or painful. I try very hard to downplay the issues and to make sure they know it's worth it. I only have one daughter and today she asked if she could have my pump when she has her babies to pump for them. So, I think she is fine so far. )

Thanks for reading. I just felt like venting.

Advertisement

__________________
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 06-03-2013 at 06:22 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Zoethink's Avatar
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wheaton, MD
Posts: 519
Re: Okay, now I've dealt with it all

Wow! I am totally impressed by your commitment! Good job and good luck!
__________________
Kimberly, wife to Martin , Catholic, Waldorf, RIE inspired mama to Benjamin David(2-14-11) and Mariah Celeste(3/28/13) Trying everyday to love this world in the right way.
Zoethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,584
My Mood:
Re: Okay, now I've dealt with it all

Holy cow!! You HAVE been through it all. All I ever got was thrush once with my oldest and constant milk blisters for 4 months with my youngest. Oh, and supply issues that were fixed with Reglan.

You are amazing! Vent away!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
mcsursely's Avatar
mcsursely
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 115
My Mood:
You are a trooper!!! Really, I admire you right now. It's a positive message your sending your boys too. Gosh my hubby didn't understand bfing so much with our first. It didn't like it that I'd have to nurse in public if we were out and about. He was just not brought up with the exposure and positive message that Bfing is natural. This has changed with this new baby. But he is still a little ignorant about things. The other day he saw our toddler lifting up her shirt and nursing her stuffed animal just like me. Hubby said, "Do you think that's appropriate?" WTH? I said "It sure is. I'm proud of her and I hope she will bf her children with out shame." It's crazy how close-minded people are. I love him dearly and he is an intelligent man, but sometimes he shows how misinformed he really is... Sorry for the novel... I'm sending you happy less chaotic bfing vibes! You deserve a medal!
mcsursely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,081
My Mood:
Re: Okay, now I've dealt with it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoethink View Post
Wow! I am totally impressed by your commitment! Good job and good luck!
Thank you. I've been told by many to give up, even LC's and MD's. I just can't. When the going was super tough, I would just tell myself, "Just stick it out today." or "Just one more day." Then, I said it again the next day...every day. Even though my supply tanked (thanks to yeast and bad advice) with my first and stopped at 10 month, I made it to 16 months with both sets of twins despite constant pain. This time, I have a better handle on the pain and go entire weeks without much. I'm hoping to make it to two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
Holy cow!! You HAVE been through it all. All I ever got was thrush once with my oldest and constant milk blisters for 4 months with my youngest. Oh, and supply issues that were fixed with Reglan.

You are amazing! Vent away!
You have been through a lot too. and great job!! Constant blisters. Oh my. Mine has been SO sore. I haven't been able to sleep on my stomach and any touch (even from clothing) was really painful. It peaked last night when the pain was so bad it kept me up most of the night. That's when I realize this morning that something new was going on and figured out what it is. The thrust is toe curling and completely different pain. I can't compare the two, but this blister is serious pain.

(I popped it this morning and the relief was instant. I hope it heals and doesn't come back....we will see...I'm sure it was caused by my yeast. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsursely View Post
You are a trooper!!! Really, I admire you right now. It's a positive message your sending your boys too. Gosh my hubby didn't understand bfing so much with our first. It didn't like it that I'd have to nurse in public if we were out and about. He was just not brought up with the exposure and positive message that Bfing is natural. This has changed with this new baby. But he is still a little ignorant about things. The other day he saw our toddler lifting up her shirt and nursing her stuffed animal just like me. Hubby said, "Do you think that's appropriate?" WTH? I said "It sure is. I'm proud of her and I hope she will bf her children with out shame." It's crazy how close-minded people are. I love him dearly and he is an intelligent man, but sometimes he shows how misinformed he really is... Sorry for the novel... I'm sending you happy less chaotic bfing vibes! You deserve a medal!
He'll come around the longer you do it. My husband was the same as you describe with my first and still a little with my first set of twins. By my second set of twins, he was totally supportive in every way of everything BF'ing related. He will even advocate for BF'ing every now and again if it comes up. His mom didn't BF. He was never exposed to it either. Just keep doing what you are doing.

I love it when my kids nurse their stuffed animals. It's is so funny! I think it's hilarious when my boys do it. And, I do love that they are getting the exposure.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ladies!
__________________
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
evasimone's Avatar
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,018
Re: Okay, now I've dealt with it all

Geez you're super dedicated! Way to go and I hope you feel better.

I won't lie your post depressed me a bit. I've had a heck of a time with my daughter and I am pretty much EPing and I seriously am fearful about getting pregnant in case I experience similar difficulties. I had a beautiful homebirth and ended up with the breastfeeding experience from hell. I keep telling myself the second one will be better...
__________________
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,081
My Mood:
Re: Okay, now I've dealt with it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Geez you're super dedicated! Way to go and I hope you feel better.

I won't lie your post depressed me a bit. I've had a heck of a time with my daughter and I am pretty much EPing and I seriously am fearful about getting pregnant in case I experience similar difficulties. I had a beautiful homebirth and ended up with the breastfeeding experience from hell. I keep telling myself the second one will be better...
The second will be better. I can't promise it will be easy, but it will be easier. My thrush has been a constant battle for me, but other than that, even though I've had many challenges each nursing experience has been better than the previous one. Having twins (2 sets) threw a monkey wrench into everything adding the preemie issues and such. Plus, I just know more and more with each experience and can better deal with the issues that come up. I'm also not as overwhelmed being a new mother. The mindset is if different, KWIM. I try to go into every new baby(ies) with an attitude that it's going to be better and I'm going to have a positive attitude about it.

That said, there is a limit for everyone. For some women the threshold is much lower than mine and that is fine. For me, personally, the idea of not BF'ing my baby is worse than the pain and stress I go through. But, for some the opposite would be true. I don't necessarily think that everyone should stick it out through everything. It can be really rough. You do the best you can for you and your child and that is all anyone can ask. Good for you for doing the best you could for your baby.
__________________
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
eflannery's Avatar
eflannery
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 682
My Mood:
Wow, you are amazing!! And what a great role model for your kids (assuming that you have girls).

I ep'd for my oldest daughter due to her not latching + her having severe reflux. This time I'm having issues with over-supply and excessive let-down + mild reflux (enough that she frequently pulls away and strains her neck). I've always been so jealous of moms that have no bf'ing issues - so I have an idea how you feel.
But its soooo worth it!!
__________________
Emily

Mama to Regan Louise Born July 5, 2007
and Quinn Annmarie : Born March 30th, 2013
Baby #3 expected to arrive June 14th, 2015!
eflannery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
evasimone's Avatar
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,018
Re: Okay, now I've dealt with it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
The second will be better. I can't promise it will be easy, but it will be easier. My thrush has been a constant battle for me, but other than that, even though I've had many challenges each nursing experience has been better than the previous one. Having twins (2 sets) threw a monkey wrench into everything adding the preemie issues and such. Plus, I just know more and more with each experience and can better deal with the issues that come up. I'm also not as overwhelmed being a new mother. The mindset is if different, KWIM. I try to go into every new baby(ies) with an attitude that it's going to be better and I'm going to have a positive attitude about it.

That said, there is a limit for everyone. For some women the threshold is much lower than mine and that is fine. For me, personally, the idea of not BF'ing my baby is worse than the pain and stress I go through. But, for some the opposite would be true. I don't necessarily think that everyone should stick it out through everything. It can be really rough. You do the best you can for you and your child and that is all anyone can ask. Good for you for doing the best you could for your baby.
Thanks. That's good to know, I know mentally I'll be better prepared. I went into the whole experience thinking it would work out fine and I was pretty crushed when it went bad. I just never prepared myself for a bad scenario.

I definitely agree about the limit, everyone has it. I even heard of a story about a woman actually losing her nipple yet continuing on. Which is insane to me but obviously breastfeeding was that important to her.
__________________
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
safghf's Avatar
safghf
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 442
You are awesome for enduring as you have! I'm sure you've tried everything, but a girlfriend of mine who suffered from thrush, mastitis, yeast issues over and over finally used the Dr. Newman's nipple ointment recipe and had virtually instant relief. She hasn't had a full blown issue since. Definitely worth a shot. Best of luck, and again, hats off to you. Those are six lucky babies!
safghf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.