Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
crunchycrossfitmamaof2++
Registered Users
Formerly: smalltownmama
seller
seller

My Mood:
delete

Advertisement

Last edited by crunchycrossfitmamaof2++; 06-25-2013 at 07:57 PM.
crunchycrossfitmamaof2++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
jenniferhoiyin
Registered Users
seller

You are trying to do what's best, and bm is great for your LO. If you can't provide it yourself, or it is more stressful for you to do so (which I believe would make it harder to express milk anyway), getting it another way doesn't seem selfish to me.

xo
jenniferhoiyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Donor milk

No I don't think it's selfish. I would honestly disclose your situation that way donors can make the choice.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
judeysmama
Registered Users

I wouldn't say selfish, but I agree with PP who said you should disclose your situation to allow donors to choose.
That being said, 4 ounces every 3-3.5 hours is typical so don't let your output discourage you.
judeysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You should disclose. MANY women are in a similar situation
You CAN supplement with formula, mix 1/2 to make pumped milk go further. That's what I had to do with both mine after returming to work; esp with my second as i just couldnt keep up. allowed me to continue breast feeding for several months longer.

No shame in that solution. and saves donor milk for babies /moms w medical conditions. And since you aren't buying a LOT of formula, can afford organic.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
crunchycrossfitmamaof2++
Registered Users
Formerly: smalltownmama
seller
seller

My Mood:
thank you ladies! I'm going to try mothers milk tea, fenugreek, and brewers yeast combined and hopefully will see an increase. I definitely would only use donor milk as a last resort, but we tried a bunch of diff formulas (with pediatricians guidance) and they all disagreed with her tummy. formula is an absolute last resort for me; I'm really hoping I can figure out the problem and increase my supply
crunchycrossfitmamaof2++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just keep in mind that if you are not pumping and are away from your baby, and she is being fed donor milk or formula, your supply will probably decrease more overall. That could lead to more difficulties nursing your baby when you are together.

I don't think it's selfish, but it could have other unintended consequences.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownmama
thank you ladies! I'm going to try mothers milk tea, fenugreek, and brewers yeast combined and hopefully will see an increase. I definitely would only use donor milk as a last resort, but we tried a bunch of diff formulas (with pediatricians guidance) and they all disagreed with her tummy. formula is an absolute last resort for me; I'm really hoping I can figure out the problem and increase my supply
Adding an ounce or two of formula to a bottle helps avoid tummy issues as do probiotics.
Also remember babies tend to drink more from bottles. If given a 6 oz bottle they may drink the entire thing where would only have drank 4 oz breastfeeding. They tend to keep drinking after full from a bottle where nursing tend to switch to comfort sucking. Very deceptive/frustrating when trying to pump enough of a supply.
It's not fun, but may be helpful to get up at night to pump.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeysmama View Post
I wouldn't say selfish, but I agree with PP who said you should disclose your situation to allow donors to choose.
That being said, 4 ounces every 3-3.5 hours is typical so don't let your output discourage you.
Your output is actually pretty fantastic. Keep in mind that your LO only needs 1-1.5 oz per hour of separateion, and it sounds like you are making that yourself.

As one who makes 4 oz in an entire DAY (on a good day!), I would really encourage you to fully disclose that you CAN make the milk yourself, it's just easier not to...because someone else may have a true need. Now if it's milk that's either going to you or be tossed, then of course it should go to you!!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

And another option may be to make your own formula - many moms I know swear by goat's milk formula made with raw goat's milk (or you can do powerded goat's milk) - you can google a few recipes.