Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Working Mamas: Did your LO skip the bottle or switch from the bottle early?

I was curious what else a young baby (under a year) might drink from if not a bottle. So I am interested in hearing from people who either didn't start out with a bottle (once they had to be separated from baby) or switched from the bottle well before or at least by a year. Also about when they started.

My son's (and next baby's) daycare have a very child led but independent child approach. I love it for almost everything. At a parent activity I saw a mom with a recent 1 year old helping her child drink breast milk from a cup. I cringed as it went everywhere. I made comment on how well baby was using a cup for so young (which she was actually), and mom said that the daycare started it. She didn't look thrilled about it. I wouldn't be either. I worked hard for all the breastmilk my son drank when I was away and I couldn't stand for it to be spilled like that - especially around a year when I started struggling.

So at some point I need to talk with the daycare about not using a open cup for breast milk ever (once water is introduced they can with that). But I would like to have some other non-bottle options to say I am okay with - but frankly I'm not sure what would be best . I would say it doesn't have to be leak proof since it would be generally used at a table. (or held if started really early)

Thanks

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Spouted cups, straws, sippy cups.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We started trying sippies at 7 months or so. Took awhile to find one she'd take.

She did take bottles, mind you. But she never had to hold it as I held her for every feeding. That made it harder and eventually the easiest was straw cups since she just didn't grasp the concept of tilting the sippies up.

We started early because I wanted her away from bottles before a yr.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Emmalily
Registered Users

My Mood:
I never used a bottle. According to my mom I went straight from breast to a sippy cup. She breast fed for a year with me, so I surely wasn't more than a year old using a sippy cup.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Working Mamas: Did your LO skip the bottle or switch from the bottle early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Spouted cups, straws, sippy cups.
what age did you start with these? Also can you send me a link to an example of a Spouted cup?

thanks!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Nerissa; 06-25-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would just tell her that breastmilk is not to be wasted. It is your child and your milk she should do what you want. If you still want your child to use a bottle then she should respect that and not force the issue.

I don't like spills/messes so my kids only get a cup w/out a lid of some sort once they are over 2. I don't do any sippy cups till a year old.

I WOH full time and would be pissed if my DCP started giving my daughter a cup without a lid before she was ready and was spilling breastmilk.

Thank goodness I have a great DCP that follows our lead as parents not her own beliefs on what every child should/shouldn't do at a certain age. Had one of those and we left. I got tired of fighting her and her pushing my child to do things he wasn't developmentally ready for and it made everything 100 times worse.

Last edited by Nerissa; 06-25-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't feel like they do things before they are ready and with the exception of spilling of Breastmilk specifically I think what they do with kids is great. I has yet to even think to introduce my 2 year old to an open cup. And we did and he did great with it. (we started there with DS at 2y). they are very child led and they do not push kids to do things before they are ready, instead they offer kids the ability to prove how good they can be.

yes I'm pretty sure I could just make a stance and they would be okay. But I would rather work with them for a inbetween solution, we love this place a lot, and we have been at 2 other places. It is the only place I would even dream of starting #2 before 18 months old.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
saturn
Registered Users

We used bottles for breastmilk only. Any other liquid (which before 1 yr was pretty much just water) we gave her in a sippy cup. I like getting babies to use something other than a bottle, but for breastmilk I wasn't willing to see any wasted so we stuck with bottles. I'd see if the daycare is willing to continue with bottles just for breastmilk. If not, then maybe a sippy cup with a leakproof valve.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD was kind of constantly in transition...she was strictly bf while DP was on maternity leave. Then DP pumped until 6 mos. DD drank from the Medela bottles when there was fresh BM for her, in a Born Free bottle if she was drinking milk that had been frozen. She stayed with the Born Free bottles as we supplemented, then switched over to formula. Starting at 7 mos or so, we did try to introduce sippy cups. We went through a variety of Born Free & other soft-spouted & hard-spouted sippy cups before we found one DD would take. She used the cups for water until about 13 mos when we took the bottles away & she was switched over from formula to soy milk. She didn't "get" straw cups until at least 18 mos, but did okay w/ water bottles w/ the sport spouts.

Open cups for BM would be something I put my foot down about b/c DP had such a hard time producing...the stuff was like liquid gold to us & NEVER, EVER to be spilled You're right, though, I think it's good of you to work w/ DCP to find a solution that avoids spills but is easy for her to manage...Maybe something like this. It's very structurally similar to a regular cup. It does have the valve of a sippy cup, but it can be removed (or you could enlarge the hole) for more free-flow drinking, but without the milk ouring out around a kiddo's face.

We have one & I still make 3yo DD use it (without the valve) when she drinks things I really don't want spilled, like hot chocolate. Who am I kidding...DD opts for a straw cup most of the time b/c she's not willing to waste anything but water