Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
carolyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Subclinical hyperthyroidism

Had my first appointment today for this pregnancy (8 weeks with #3) and after I got home, doc called to say she ran a thyroid test after feeling my thyroid and thinking it was a bit enlarged, and results indicate I have subclinical hypothyroidism. Prescribed meds and told me its no big deal--then of course I Googled it and started worrying. I have no history of thyroid problems, no family history either.

Any other mamas with this care to chime in? How often should I be having my levels checked? Since this seems pregnancy-induced, should I expect it to go away after delivery?

Advertisement

~Expecting #3 in January 2014
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
carolyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Subclinical hyperthyroidism

Anyone else out there with this?
~Expecting #3 in January 2014
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I had it with my first. They gave a rx for synthroid a really low level. I had to wait an hour to eat after taking it. I would wake up starving and couldn't wait. So I never really took it. The pregnancy went fine overall.

My levels returned to normal soon after having the baby.

Second pregnancy wasn't an issue.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
soup_sandwiches
Registered Users

I just took my first dose of synthroid today. I am 4 wks 5 days. My Endo said I should have my levels checked once every two weeks in my first trimester and once a month after that. My tsh levels are usually normal, but went up when I was first pregnant (blighted ovum) in January. They were back up only a few days after my bfp last weekend.

My pharmacist was telling me that this medicine is very well tolerated and side effects are extremely rare.

I hope you're feeling good!
soup_sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have it. With DS I was on a low dose through the whole pregnancy. But remained on it even after delivery because I was borderline low functioning before I got prego. With this one I've had to have my dose increased twice due to extreme exhaustion because pregnancy requires more hormone production as it progresses & mine couldn't keep up with what my body & pregnancy needed. Its totally safe to take & can actually help you not feel so sluggish later in pregnancy. Good luck!

leviandgarettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
mrsnate
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is it hyperthyroidism or hypo? Your title says hyper, but the post says hypo. Anyways, I have had hyperthyroidism with 3 of my pregnancies. They've all been pregnancy induced. I'd love to tell you about my story if it helps.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
TurtleChelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was diagnosed as hypo 10 years ago. (Unrelated to pregnancy.) Like a previous poster said, the body just needs more hormones while pregnant and tsh levels rise when the thyroid can't keep up. They will generally want your numbers below a 3 (sometimes lower depending on the endo.) A lot of hypo symptoms are parallel with pregnancy symptoms so don't worry yourself too much as long as you keep taking the meds/getting your levels checked regularly. Also, many women can have low function postpartum (even if there were no issues pre/during pregnancy) so make sure to keep following up with your endo after your LO arrives. :-)
TurtleChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are you a soy eater?
Soy affects iodine levels negatively and iodine is super important to regulating hormones.