Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
vonnief
Registered Users
seller

10 weeker will only nurse lying down

My sweet DD has gone on a nursing strike of sorts - and will only nurse when we are lying down tummy to tummy on her left side. Sometimes I can get her to nurse the opposite breast (while still lying down) but for the most part I have been pumping that side after she nurses.

I read up on nursing strikes like this, and most of the stuff I have read said to just wait it out. This has been going on for almost a month. It started when we started nursing lying down together at night. Before every session, I start out sitting up and offer it to her, and she just screams and refuses. I stop after about 5 minutes of this and give in and go to bed because by this point she is hysterical, coughing, gagging, ect. I have tried different chairs, 2 different boppys, and different holds (before this we were tried and true cradle).

I have gotten to the point where my hips and back are constantly in pain because I literally spend hours a day in bed on my side. I can't go out anywhere because she won't nurse when I am sitting up. Whenever we have gone out, DH has to give her a bottle (which she will take cradled).

Any advice?

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 10 weeker will only nurse lying down

Is it possible she has an ear infection?

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
vonnief
Registered Users
seller

I never thought of that.. but she was just at the doctors for her 2 month visit last week, and they didn't say anything, but I don't know that they would be looking for an ear infection.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My older DD had a ton, and would only nurse from one side when she had them - from my "leaky boob" - she would still take a bottle from daddy too. The side she had to work for she wouldn't touch.

Seems like you would be able to tell if she had an ear infection though. She would be generally more fussy.

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My son was vlike this at that age. He would only nurse lying down. It was near impossible to do as I have other kids. I was lucky to have DH home. It stopped at 3 mos.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
madison'smama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Do you have a fast flow? When Madi began latching she would only eat lying down because it was the only way that she didn't choke on my milk. I'm still feeding her lying down like 90% of the time and I am sooo sore. My shoulders (esp. my rotator cuff) elbows and wrists are killing me.
madison'smama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

My son did this just before he got really congested.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
krismark0
Registered Users
seller

Mine is like that, but it think its just a preference for him. My daughter did it too. I think I just nursed both of them in bed too much and they just like it better...more snugly and less distraction.
krismark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Imerinel
Registered Users

I have oversupply issues, and my son will sometimes only nurse lying down when he's really fussy. I guess because the milk flows slower. Doesn't exactly explain the reason she'll only nurse on one side, though. I can see how it would be frustrating!
Imerinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
madison'smama
Registered Users

My Mood:

could one side have a more oversupply than the other? Madi only took my left for a month (pumped the right) because she wasn't able to tolerate the other side. I have more milk on that side and a killer flow. I also have an oversupply.
madison'smama is offline   Reply With Quote