Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
-Blair-
Registered Users

Question Is this "disrespectful" to you?

If I have one more close-minded parent tell me that our son is disrespectful I will cry.
We allow our son to call us by our first names ... he calls me Blair OR Mom ... and he calls DF Willdaddy.
He is very nice, very kind hearted, very affectionate and loving, and will say "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes sir" on occasion as well as please and thank you. I consider a child DEMANDING something from a parent to be disrespectful, not calling them by their name????

But in this thread I am asking ... do you consider this disrespectful? AND WHY?!?

Advertisement

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this "disrespectful" to you?

I think the child should address a parent however the parents feel is acceptable. Other adults by a formal name unless that adult has said it was OK to call them by a first name.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it's disrespectful if it is okay with you. I personally prefer my children to call me mama or whatever....but if he's not doing it purposefully to disrespect you it's just how your family works...then tell these people to shove off...in a nice respectful way. I love how people think they can tell others how to run their family.

Stay in your own lane...like don't they have enough to worry about???

nadjarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
-Blair-
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadjarea View Post
I don't think it's disrespectful if it is okay with you. I personally prefer my children to call me mama or whatever....but if he's not doing it purposefully to disrespect you it's just how your family works...then tell these people to shove off...in a nice respectful way. I love how people think they can tell others how to run their family.

Stay in your own lane...like don't they have enough to worry about???

Funny enough, I've had other teen parents tell me MY child is disrespectful while their child hits them/spits on them/kicks them.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

I think in context no its not disrespectful. If you are alright with him calling you by your name then its fine.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
shell015
Banned
seller

I think that has nothing to do with demand or respect. That is what your child and you feel comfortable with. It's no ones business but your own IMO
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I prefer being called Mommy. I also like the kids to call there aunts and uncle Aunt Soandso rather calling them by there first names. I like them to call there friends parents Mr. and Mrs. Soandso. It is a way to distinguish adults from peers. This doesn't always work, of course, as not everyone thinks the way I do and it creeps them out to be called by anything but their first name. It is considered distrespectful for DS to call me Cristina instead of Mom or Mommy, because he knows my preference and he only calls me Cristina when he is "talking down" to me. It catches my attn to here ppls kids call them by their first name, but it doesn't bug me. There are lots of family dynamics out there and whatever works for others is cool with me. On a side note, we grew up calling my dad "Father". I still call him Father and refer to him as my Father. I know some ppl think that is weird.
Sorry for the book, I wanted to put my thoughts out there on an interesting subject.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My daughter calls me "Jen-fur". Although I don't answer when she calls me that as she does call me mama otherwise. The only reason I don't really get overly offended by it is because she calls my boyfriend "Day-did". So she's more confused I think. She doesn't fully understand that David calls mama Jennifer, and she is suppose to call me mama not Jennifer. The fun should be starting soon for me because "Day-did" will officially become a daddy when DD#2 arrives. I've come to terms with the idea of her calling my boyfriend Daddy though.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
-Blair-
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
I prefer being called Mommy. I also like the kids to call there aunts and uncle Aunt Soandso rather calling them by there first names. I like them to call there friends parents Mr. and Mrs. Soandso. It is a way to distinguish adults from peers. This doesn't always work, of course, as not everyone thinks the way I do and it creeps them out to be called by anything but their first name. It is considered distrespectful for DS to call me Cristina instead of Mom or Mommy, because he knows my preference and he only calls me Cristina when he is "talking down" to me. It catches my attn to here ppls kids call them by their first name, but it doesn't bug me. There are lots of family dynamics out there and whatever works for others is cool with me. On a side note, we grew up calling my dad "Father". I still call him Father and refer to him as my Father. I know some ppl think that is weird.
Sorry for the book, I wanted to put my thoughts out there on an interesting subject.
My parents are just like you. So it isn't like I was raised to be so liberal in all areas of life, they are actually REALLY conservative.

Who made me this way?!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll tell you what... it's a lot more disrepectful of others to get on your parenting!

As everyone else said, whatever works for your family. I personally come from the background where it's mom/mommy/mama and dad/daddy/papa, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you how to raise your child.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote