Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
madasmama
Registered Users

Re: Is this "disrespectful" to you?

I don't see what's wrong with children calling adults by their first names. If it's okay for them to call each other by their first names, why can't they address adults the same way? To me it is all part of the idea that adults deserve more respect than children, and I don't like that. I've always hated the phrase "respect your elders" because it implies that it's not okay to disrespect someone because they're older than you, and not because they are another human being deserving of respect.

Of course, if it bothered someone, it would be different - kind of like me calling SO the nickname he hates when I know he hates it () - because then it would be intentionally disrespectful.

Advertisement

madasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #12
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whatever works for you and your family is not disrespectful. Your son probably picked up early that other people call you by your name and that is your name. It is good for children to actually know what their parents names are besides just mommy and daddy. I have seen 4 yr olds in my daycare that do not know what their parents names are..what if they get lost in a store?? It happens even with the most responsible parent!
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally find it disrespectfull... I was raised that you call your mom .. mom not >> Barbara.. or anything else.. and anything other is disrespectfull.. that was just how I was raised... but If your son calls you whatever... that doesnt hurt me.. but if he called ME by my first name I wouldnt like it... I would rather children call me MRs... ...... such and such.... lol

but like the others say .. I wouldnt worry about what your kids call you ..
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #14
Sweetpotatoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son calls me Megan which does'nt really bother me usually when he does I call him son. It really bothers his dad to be called by his name so of course ds does it just to irk his nerves.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytaylz View Post
Whatever works for you and your family is not disrespectful. Your son probably picked up early that other people call you by your name and that is your name. It is good for children to actually know what their parents names are besides just mommy and daddy. I have seen 4 yr olds in my daycare that do not know what their parents names are..what if they get lost in a store?? It happens even with the most responsible parent!
My kids know everyone real name... * dh.. myself.. grandparents.. ect.. *
we actually make a game of it..lol
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #16
dru1213
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I called my gramma by her first name until i was about 12 or so. Just because thats what my mom and dad called her. When i was about 12 she asked me to call her Granny, So from then on i did.. I also had a friend who called his parents by their first name. So no if you okay with it, then i don't see any problem in it at all.
I don't understand why ppl tell you you child is disrespectful by calling you by your name, your child wasn't talking to them... (whole other rant! about others having a better ways to raise your children )

Personally I would like my children to call me either mommy or some name of that meaning.

For Sale: Covers
dru1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #17
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If its ok with you.. then its not. I think the term they meant was "proper". It used to be the "proper" thing to address your elders with M'am or Sir. Not everyone does that anymore either... well except for some in my family. I think its disrespectful to you for them to comment on it - assuming they are just friends.

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #18
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by togg_mama View Post
I'll tell you what... it's a lot more disrepectful of others to get on your parenting!

As everyone else said, whatever works for your family. I personally come from the background where it's mom/mommy/mama and dad/daddy/papa, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you how to raise your child.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blair- View Post
If I have one more close-minded parent tell me that our son is disrespectful I will cry.
We allow our son to call us by our first names ... he calls me Blair OR Mom ... and he calls DF Willdaddy.
He is very nice, very kind hearted, very affectionate and loving, and will say "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes sir" on occasion as well as please and thank you. I consider a child DEMANDING something from a parent to be disrespectful, not calling them by their name????

But in this thread I am asking ... do you consider this disrespectful? AND WHY?!?

I dont think its disrespectful, but DH does this with his mom and his dad, but with him I see it as a sign of "unattachment" with his parents, especially his mom... They both say that from a young age( like 2 yrs) he started it b/c he heard everyone else calling her by her name and they just never corrected him...

Just try not to let other ppl get to you
Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #20
craftymomto5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Is this "disrespectful" to you?

Personally I think it's your business as to how you want your child to address you or your df. However I do think it would be disrespectful if your child was to address another adult (outside your family) by anything other than Mrs/Ms/Mr/Sir/Ma'am/etc.....
craftymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote