Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

July Use Your Stash Game

WELCOME TO THE July 2013 STASH GAME!!!

This game will run from June 29th to July 31st
***Late entrants are welcome, but without compensation for missing time*** (meaning if you start/sign up on the 6th, you cannot count 7/1-7/5)

This month is hosted by RockinLou.

If you are going to PLAY- post a reply to THIS thread, and THAT IS YOUR SPOT. Please don't post more than once here.

Here are the thread that make this so FUN!:
Both chatter and pics go here
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...3#post16719333

If anything is relevant to be added here, I will update this post with things from the Chat Thread.

In your spot- please post:
*A quick intro/hello
*Your Crafting Goals for this month
*Your Points/FO's (list them by project/day and then a grand total)

PRIZES

Grab bag of fabrics and notions

PM host or post to chat thread to contribute

----------------------------------------------------------------------

**SEWING POINTS**

+8 per Yard Sewn from Stash

**For Tutu makers- 1 yard is equal to (1) 25 yard roll of precut tulle.

+1 per type of Notion Used in a FO (interfacing, dye, fabric scrap, buttons, snaps, binding, bias tape, ribbing, rick-rak, zippers, stabilizer, etc.) Thread does not count as a notion, and even if you use 100 snaps- it is still only ONE type and counts as +1.

+2 per Diaper Related FO

+1 for Using Tags (works like snaps..doesn't matter if you use 1 tag or 12, its only 1 point)

+2 for Hand Sewing (+2 per hour)

+1 for Using a Treadle Sewing Machine (per item)

+1 per for Accessorizing (matching hat with dress, etc.)

+1 for Charity FO

+1 per item for Completing a UFO (unfinished object)

+1 per hoop for Machine Embroidery

+1 for Dying Fabric or Yarn (+1 per yard/garment/skein)

+1 for Mending (+1 per garment/elastic replacement/snap conversion...)

+1 for Posting FO Pictures (+1 per FO) post in Show and Tell OR in the SNS Thread linked at the top of the post! **Still only +1 per FO- even if you post in more than one place

+1 for Using Recycled Materials (per FO)

+1 if you make your own pattern

**QUILTING POINTS** These are a NEW addition to the game
Quilting points for piecing tops and blocks can be gained as listed below, It is NOT necessary to finish the entire quilt this month to be able to earn points for your quilt, nor will quilts in progress count as UFOs, but there is no back-dating points for past projects

Quick-sew Quilt TOPS (made from strips, charm squares, and cakes)
+10 crib/lap size/wall hanging
+15 twin size
+20 double/queen
+25 king

Traditional Piecing and foundation piecing of Blocks
+5 per 12 inch block completed
+5 for joining blocks
+5 for every border

Hand quilting is covered by the hand sewing rule: (+2 per hour)

Machine Quilting points:
+10 crib/lap size/wall hanging
+15 twin size
+20 double/queen
+25 king

Binding is also covered by the +2 per hour for hand sewing rule

**YARN CRAFT POINTS**
+2 per hour for Knitting/Crochet/Spinning
+1 per hour for frogging a project
+2 for completed small project (food, soaker, hat, etc).
+4 for completed large project (longies, blanket, vest, etc).
+4 for each skein used
+1 if you dyed the skein yourself
+4 if you made a diaper related item from the skein/skeins

**STASH BUSTING POINTS** NOTE~ Yarn or fabric that is given as a gift is NOT counted against you... So if you get something for Mother's Day, it's ok...
+4 per yard or skein sold/given/thrown away from stash
-8 per yard bought during stash game
+4 per yard sewn from fabric purchased during stash game
-4 per skein bought during stash game
+2 per skein used from skein purchased during stash game

**Trading for Fabric or Yarn counts as purchasing **UNLESS** you traded equal amounts of something from your stash to obtain the new item. (As in: 2 skeins of yarn TRADED for 2 skeins of yarn=NO points awarded or deducted. If you traded used diapers for 2 skeins of yarn=(-8) deduction).

**If you purchased yarn or fabric BEFORE the start of the game and it arrives during the Stash Game Month- it DOES NOT count against you! Only items Purchased/Traded DURING the month count for deductions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FO DEFINITIONS:

Finished Object: Threads snipped, Ends woven in! **See below for smaller objects and their FO Value**

12 serged wipes/unpaper towels/family cloth= 1 FO
6 t&t wipes/uppaper towels/family cloth= 1 FO
4 soakers/doublers= 1 FO
2 pairs of nursing pads= 1FO
2 momma cloth= 1 FO
2 mittens (a pair)= 1 FO
2 baby shoes (a pair)= 1 FO
2 leg warmers (a pair)= 1 FO
**if something should come in pairs- it needs to, to count as a FO**

DIAPERS YARDAGE ESTIMATES

Fitteds/AIO's/AI2s - SOAKERS INCLUDED
NB = 1/2 yard
Small = 3/4 yard
Medium = 1 yard
Large = 1 1/4 yard
One Size = 1 1/4 yard
XLarge = 1 1/2 yard

Pockets/Lined covers SOAKERS NOT INCLUDED

NB- 1/8 yard= 0.125= 1 point
Small- 1/4 yard = 0.25= 2/8 so 2 points
Medium-3/8 yard=0.375= 3 points
OS/ Large-1/2 yard= 0.5= 4/8 so 4 points

Scoring Example:
FO- NB Fitted w/ recycled T-Shirt Outer= +11 Points
1/2 yard fabric +4
Diaper Related FO +2
Recycled Material +1
Notions +2 (elastic & snaps)
Size Tag +1
S&S Pic +1

A NOTE ABOUT FO POINTS: They do not exist. Please don't count points just for finishing something (unless it's a yarn craft). Diaper Related FO's get points, as do UFO's... but not FO's in general. The list for how many smaller items equals a FO is for people who are counting diaper related or UFO items. Keep counting yardages and any other categories that your FO's fit into THANKS!

Additional Weekly Challenges for Extra Points!!!

June 29th to July 5th - Red White and Blue week! Anything you make that has all three colors or is a patriotic theme. +5 points for the first finished object, +1 for each additional after that

July 6th to July 12th - All About ME week! Make something for yourself, that only you will use and enjoy. Wether it's mama cloth, a new skirt, mittens, a hat, a scarf.... something that you have zero intention of giving away!! +5 for the first object for you, +1 for each additional

July 13th to July 19th - Try something new - Wether it's a new pattern, a new technique, a new notion (never used a zipper? never crocheted? never knit socks?) anything that you've had waiting to do, but haven't had the nerve to try! +5 for the first "new" challenge and +1 for each additional

July 20th to July 26th - Christmas in July - Get yourself started early this year! Complete a Christmas (or any other winter holiday) gift for this year. +5 for the first finished object, +1 for each additional

July 27th to July 31st - UFO short week. Find something you haven't finished, and put those finishing touches on it! You know you have a UFO or two.... or twenty.... hiding, dust one off and finish it up!!

Advertisement

Last edited by RockinLou; 06-29-2013 at 01:30 PM.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Nangirl17
Registered Users
seller

Re: July Use Your Stash Game

Hi, I'm a FTM to an almost 15mo boy. I am also a ft wohm, so we'll see how much I can do this month between those two responsibilities!!

My goals:
-Finish quiet book for ds (its about half done)
-knit newborn cocoon with leftover acrylic (to use up stash but also test pattern before using precious wool!)
-knit either a cocoon soaker or longies for newborn (we are ttc!)
-try my hand at making dipes! Some nb fitted from upcycled flannel nightgown and a torn towel and MAYBE nb aio if I have the time and bravery!!

June 29: +4 for 2 hrs knitting acrylic cocoon
30: +10 for 5 hrs knitting acrylic cocoon (I am about half done!!)
July 1: +2 for 1 hr knitting cocoon
2: +2 for 1hr knitting cocoon
4. +4 for 2 hr knitting cocoon, +4 for cocoon completed! =8 (now to figure out how to post pictures!)
5. +6 for knitting soaker
6. +2 for 1 hr knitting soaker
7. +6 for 3hr knitting soaker, +2 for soaker complete

Last edited by Nangirl17; 07-08-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Nangirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
MrsAwesome
Registered Users

Hi, I'm a first-time mom-to-be due in early December. I WAH as a writer/English tutor and will be moving cross-country in October. The more of my stash I use up and/or give away, the less I have to sort and pack.

My goals:
-Use up my cotton yarn stash (there's not much so I figure it's a good place to start)
-Crochet something gender-specific since we have our anatomy US on the 15th
-Untangle, re-roll, and sort all my other skeins
-Completely finish at least ONE non-prefold diaper (I'm thinking a fitted or AIO)
-Sew up some sort of maternity wear

June 29th - July 5th (not doing the theme...)
1. Tunisian crochet washcloth -- 9 points total
2. Fitted size medium diaper with recycled soaker -- 13 points
3. Three fitted newborn diapers from stash/recycled material -- 28 points
4. Three fitted small diapers from stash/recycled material -- 29 points

Didn't get to all of my goals, but I did organize some of my stash and my diapers are mostly "manly" colors.

Grand total: 79 points

Last edited by MrsAwesome; 07-31-2013 at 09:37 PM.
MrsAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi! I'm Jen, stay at home homeschooling mom to three three and another due in October.

This month I am hoping to sew up some fitteds for the newbie, and a few more for my nightwetter. Soakers for the newbie and nightwetter, mama cloth for me, and finding something to make with several yards of ugly fabric I was given.

June 29th to July 5th - Red White and Blue week! Anything you make that has all three colors or is a patriotic theme. +5 points for the first finished object, +1 for each additional after that
29. Star soaker, 3 points fabric, 1 point fabric scrap, 2 points diaper related, 1 point pic, 5 point bonus. Flower soaker, 4 points fabric, 1 fabric scrap, 2 diaper related, 1 pic. Total for today is 20
30. Spider soaker, 3 fabric, 1 fabric scrap, 1 buttons, 2 diaper related, 1 pic. Total 8
2. Pocket fitted--4 fabric, 1 pic, 2 diaper related, 1 snaps, 1 elastic = 9 (times four)= total of 36

July 6th to July 12th - All About ME week! Make something for yourself, that only you will use and enjoy. Wether it's mama cloth, a new skirt, mittens, a hat, a scarf.... something that you have zero intention of giving away!! +5 for the first object for you, +1 for each additional

July 13th to July 19th - Try something new - Wether it's a new pattern, a new technique, a new notion (never used a zipper? never crocheted? never knit socks?) anything that you've had waiting to do, but haven't had the nerve to try! +5 for the first "new" challenge and +1 for each additional

July 20th to July 26th - Christmas in July - Get yourself started early this year! Complete a Christmas (or any other winter holiday) gift for this year. +5 for the first finished object, +1 for each additional

July 27th to July 31st - UFO short week. Find something you haven't finished, and put those finishing touches on it! You know you have a UFO or two.... or twenty.... hiding, dust one off and finish it up!!

Running total 64

Total

Last edited by jen_batten; 07-02-2013 at 07:08 PM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

I'm Amber, and I'm game to try and get some stuff done. Things are really going to be busy this month though! I just moved and this might help me get my sewing room set up. Right now it's still boxes stacked :/...

Goals:
Maternity clothes!
Size small fitteds.
UFO's
Mending...
unpaper towels
Tie dying some flats and tee's
Slip cover for wing back chair

12. Maternity shirt, skirt and a ton of mending!

Total:

Last edited by rumblepurr; 07-12-2013 at 09:19 PM.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
ssboden
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm Sasha, I love doing the stash games cause it keeps me motivated to get things done so they don't pile up even if I only get a little done.. Don't know how much ill get done cause DS is teaching and VERY clingy !! Here goes

Goals:
UFO's
FINISHED unpaper towels
Wash cloths dish
Wash cloths bath
FINISHED Small snack bags
FINISHED 2 sandwich wraps
A skirt for me
A knit rattle for DS
Knit overalls for DS in the fall
I'm sure more things will pop up

1. 6 unpaper towels 2 yards +16, +1 for snaps, +1 photo
2. 6 unpaper towels 2 yards +16, +1 for snaps, +1 photo
3. 2 sandwich wraps 1 yard +8, +1 photo, +5 extra theme
4. 2 snack bags +2 for 1/4yard, +1 for remnant, +1 photo
Week total= 54

6.carseat protector 2 yards +16, +1 photo
7. knit 2 hrs +4
8. knit 2 hrs +4
Week total = 8

20.knit 2hrs
22.knit 2hrs +4
23.knit 2hrs +4
25.knit 2hrs +4
26.knit 1hrs +2
Week total = 14

28.knit 2hrs +4
29.knit 3hrs +6
30.knit 2hrs +4
Week total =14
Total: 90 not to bad but not great lol

Last edited by ssboden; 07-31-2013 at 10:04 PM.
ssboden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in,I hope to knit only from my stash this month and finally see the baby carrier sour my SIL since I bought the stuff a year ago.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Hi, I'm Emily, I'm hosting this month, also have some snack bags to make, a tree skirt to quilt, and binding to sew on two quilts, I'm not sure ill do much stash busting but I love watching everyone else's work in the chatter thread!!

Oh, I need to make some mama cloth too!!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
MamaDawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have lots to do this month...

Finish Jeremiah's shorts done!
Finish Soaker done!
Tori's sweater
Belle's doll dress
Finish shorties for friend's dd
want to figure out cat toys pattern
dog toys
kid toys (no clue which ones yet)
hats
sweaters (still working out which ones, but a new one... maybe for the boys)
longies
fingerless mitts (2 pairs, one for me)
leg warmers
necklace for Tori for Christmas

I know I won't get all of that done, but it's what I need to get done by Sept, so I just decided to make the whole list now and work on what I decide to work on..

And everything I'm making will be knit so I'm going to copy the knitting pts here because that will make it easier for me

**YARN CRAFT POINTS**
+2 per hour for Knitting/Crochet/Spinning
+1 per hour for frogging a project
+2 for completed small project (food, soaker, hat, etc).
+4 for completed large project (longies, blanket, vest, etc).
+4 for each skein used
+1 if you dyed the skein yourself
+4 if you made a diaper related item from the skein/skeins

30. Knitting 4 hours +8
1. Knitting 3 hours +6
2. Knitting 3 hours +6
3. knitting 5 hours +10
Jeremiah's shorts~ +4 large project, 2.5 hanks used +10, photo +1, +1 button, +1 elastic ~ 17 pts total
4. knitting 2 hours +4
5. knitting 3 hours +6

Weekly total ~ 51

July 6th to July 12th - All About ME week! Make something for yourself, that only you will use and enjoy. Whether it's mama cloth, a new skirt, mittens, a hat, a scarf.... something that you have zero intention of giving away!! +5 for the first object for you, +1 for each additional

Total:

Hand Painted yarn by Fairy Tale Knits

Direct link to my current colorways

Last edited by MamaDawn; 07-06-2013 at 10:21 AM.
MamaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hi. I'm Amanda. I have 3 kids (13, 11 and 7). I haven't done much sewing/crafting lately but with Christmas fast approaching I have several things that I need to get started on.

GOAL:
Quilt for DS (not quite the full dimensions of a twin size)
Quilt for both DDs (throw size)
Embroidered shirts for DS for school clothes
Purse covers for my thirty-one skirt purse
New baton bag for DD1
Baby gifts for my cousin and my BFF

That's all I can think of right now.