Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
karikos
Registered Users
seller

It's here.

The heartburn, that is. I'm 29 weeks 6 days and this past week I've been feeling it. I was hoping I would somehow be immune to it but yeah, no.

Funny story: The last (and only) time I had heartburn was when I was about 12 or 13. I didn't know what it was and I was complaining of really bad pain in my chest. I kept telling my mom it was burning and hurt really bad, I felt like I could barely breathe (may have been over dramatic, lol). So she took me to the ER, where they gave me Maalox (I think) and sent us on our way after some tests. My mom was so ticked, LOL. But I'd never had it before, in my defense.

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Re: It's here.

I just want to say, I can totally relate. I'm 27 weeks now and my stomach upsets seems to rotate between heartburn, indigestion and stomachaches (caused by gas I think). No fun at all! I really have to avoid certain foods. Tums usually helps me quite a bit, but I don't like to take it all the time (not that healthy). What do you do to relieve it?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

I had awful heartburn throughout my pregnancy with my first. I am currently almost 18 weeks and it's barely there so far, which makes me grateful. It's miserable to have it non-stop! Luckily it goes away very quickly after the baby is born.
litigatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I started off with heartburn in both pregnancies and it moved into full-on acid reflux. Lots of pain, a chronic cough which causes me to vomit occasionally and frequent regurgitation. It sucks. With DS, it didn't get bad until around 30 weeks. This time, it started right around the end of 1st trimester. Fortunately, it went away as soon as I delivered DS so I'm hopeful it will this time too. I am WAY over feeling this crappy.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Hopefulily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Ugh I have it occasionally and I'm only 16 weeks. Its awful !
Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV View Post
I just want to say, I can totally relate. I'm 27 weeks now and my stomach upsets seems to rotate between heartburn, indigestion and stomachaches (caused by gas I think). No fun at all! I really have to avoid certain foods. Tums usually helps me quite a bit, but I don't like to take it all the time (not that healthy). What do you do to relieve it?
Nothing so far. :/ It's only been a few times late at night before I went to bed and we don't keep stuff like for it on hand. I'm going to have to pick some up, though, now that I know it's probably going to stick around
Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
omahamama731
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had been on protonix for 3 months and went to refill it last week for the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy (I'm almost 39 weeks), and prescription insurance wouldn't pay for it because they wanted me to go 90 day mail order supply since reflux/heartburn meds are considered maintenance. I wasn't about to pay $114 for 30 pills that I usually pay $7 for, so I told them no way. and now I'm sort of wishing I had just paid for the stupid meds. miserable is not nearly a strong enough word. just going to tough it out for *hopefully* only one more week.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Protonix is the only thing that has remotely helped me. It is not a cure for me but it makes a big difference. I tried Zantac and Pepcid AC before the Protonix and the Zantac helped for a whole but then stopped working. I also take Tums several times a week if it is really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Belbaby3728
Banned

I try and stay away from medications so I have taken chewable payapa enzymes. Helped for my dd, will see about this pregnancy when heartburn starts up.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Eeek, not fun! I've had chronic heartburn/acid reflux since I had a bout with norovirus several years ago (before that nothing, *sad face*), and I've been on Prilosec pretty much ever since. If I miss even a day, it starts back up again, so I've been dreading it starting up worse. So far I've been okay, still on 20 mg Prilosec per day and haven't had to take any Tums/Rolaids/etc., but I'm just hitting 21 weeks today. I don't know if it's related, but I've had morning sickness almost the whole time, started out as nausea and then switched to just a sick, blah feeling after about 10 weeks with a feeling of something pushing on my throat or sometimes something coming up into my throat but no burning. That's gotten better now, especially if I'm sure to eat lots of snacks through the day and sometimes another in the middle of the night now.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote