Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Needing some Tips for speeding up early labor.....

Best thing I've done is as someone else mentioned - bounce on one of those big exercise balls! Only problem can be sometimes it's hard to monitor you while you do that.

(((hugs)))

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
leyash
Registered Users
seller

wish i could help, but my 0-5cm was so slow this time around. i used EPO inserted vaginally for the last two weeks or so, and drank RRL tea for about 3 months before labor. i went from 5-10 in less than two hours, but i don't think those things helped my early labor.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Walking and DTD work great for me. Every time DH and I would DTD after 36-37 weeks I would start having contractions, sometimes enough to keep me from sleeping well. I was always another centimeter or so dilated each weekly appointment. With DS I was 4 almost 5 centimeters and had my water broken at 40+3 and labor progressed quickly from there. With DD I was already 5cm when I checked into the hospital in labor at 38 weeks...we had DTD twice that day, and I had been at a 4 at my weekly appointment just a few days earlier Contractions ended up stopped at 7cm and then I had my water broken and it only took a couple hours after that.

I know everyone acts like dilation means nothing, but if you can get past 3 or 4cm you can have a much better time avoiding Pitocin because breaking your water may be enough to get things going at that point. Good luck!

ETA: Just reread your OP and saw where DTD hasn't worked....whoops! Sorry!

Last edited by Solomon's Mama; 06-30-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon's Mama
I know everyone acts like dilation means nothing, but if you can get past 3 or 4cm you can have a much better time avoiding Pitocin because breaking your water may be enough to get things going at that point. Good luck!

ETA: Just reread your OP and saw where DTD hasn't worked....whoops! Sorry!
I still think dilation means nothing. My friend just walked around at an 8 for 2 weeks. After being a 5 for several weeks. Finally went into labor naturally at almost 41 weeks. Thus concreting in my mind that dilation is absolutely not related to when your body is ready to go into labor.

But that isn't to derail the thread. I've already given my best suggestions above.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08
Sitting on a birth ball doing 'hula hoop' circles can help baby apply pressure to the cervix which can help to thin and open it a bit more/quicker. Maybe try lots of birth ball work?
I did this too. I did it a lot to try to make baby drop as I had heard it would help with that too. My DS didn't really drop until I was dilated to an 8-9 and he flipped over (he was face-up). Still, it is worth a try!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

I still think dilation means nothing. My friend just walked around at an 8 for 2 weeks. After being a 5 for several weeks. Finally went into labor naturally at almost 41 weeks. Thus concreting in my mind that dilation is absolutely not related to when your body is ready to go into labor.

But that isn't to derail the thread. I've already given my best suggestions above.
I agree. I was at a 1 at 36 weeks and a 2 at 37 weeks with DS. I still went past my due date.

A good friend of mine was determined to have a natural childbirth. She took the Hypnobabies course and tried everything she could to go into labor naturally. She still ended up being induced at 42 weeks and never dilated beyond a 1, even with her water broken and while cranked up on Pitocin. She ended up having a c-section. Her sister has had very similar experiences twice. Dilation just doesn't happen for them.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
miriamleigh
Registered Users

What do they do to prep you before the inductions. Maybe stripping the membranes might help? You might as well try epo and rrlt. Also, would you be open to an enema?
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
mommy2boys2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I suggest taking 5W from natures sunshine, along with EPO and RRLT I would start the RR now, the EPO at 36 I only take it orally because vaginally it gives me a yeast infection. And the 5W at 35 all of these are going to help the EPO to soften and ripen the cervix (even orally) and the other two to help you contractions be more productive. My last labor was 3 hours starting at loose 1 by the time I got to the hospital I was an 8 and baby was born 20 minutes later. My water never broke until pushing, I am like you, once my water breaks baby I go really fast, I was just glad I made it to the hospital in time.
Jamie, mama to DS-Daniel- 04-06-2005, DS- Michael- 06-16-2007(my birthday present!), DS-Samuel-12-13-2009, DD Abigail- 01-02-2012 baby #5 due October 1, 2013
mommy2boys2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
anniekins1488
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No advice, but I'm so excited for you Nicole!! I miss chatting with you!

Swag with me! I earn $25 in Amazon gift cards every month with very little effort! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Anniekins1488
anniekins1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #20
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've only had 2 labors, so take this with a grain of salt (both ended in inductions.)

Labor #1 Induction at 38 weeks. Not dilated. Induction failed (no progress in 24hrs.) Since my water was intact, I was sent home for 6 days on bed rest. Second attempt ~39wks~ I was at a "maybe" 1cm . No amount of sex had changed that He was born 19.5 hrs later.

Cue labor #2. At exactly 37 weeks I woke up with minor , uber sporadic contractions. I sent dh a joking text about going into labor that day since he had weekend plans. A couple hours later I'm out Christmas shopping and getting increasingly more painful contractions. I end my shopping because it was just getting too hard. I already had a normal ob appointment scheduled for the afternoon and decided to just head there early and wait there. I mention this to my doctor when she calls me back. She checks me. 4 cm! ! Me, who was not dilated the week before. Me who needed two flipping inductions to get the last baby out. She sends me to L&D after monitoring me in the office for an hour (steady contractions.) Skip several hours later. I wasn't progressing, contractions stopped. I opted out of intervention. Went home. Stayed a 4 until my due date when I opted for an induction (which resulted in a short l&d! )

Ok, so the reason for that lengthy story? The difference between labor #1 and #2 was EPO. I started using it vaginally at 35 weeks, and then vaginally + orally at 36 weeks. The reason I didn't dilate further is assumed to be because baby was way up high and stayed that way until I started pushing. BUT, again, I made it to 4 cm all on my own before induction

Last edited by mommyinthesun; 07-08-2013 at 10:34 PM.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote