Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

If it helps any, our oldest ds is Lakin. Pronounced Lay-kin. He is named after a preacher that my dh absolutely loved. His last name was Lakin and pronounced the same way.
Nobody has ever mispronounced our ds's name. (Well, except for a nurse one time that read it as Lincoln??? Can't help her with that one!)

I still love the name and if I were naming him again, I wouldn't change a thing!

Advertisement

dd 4/09 dd 1/11
dd 12/13 (24 wks) expecting twins 1/15
princessgirl409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #22
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38
I mean, you can pronounce a name however you want, but to conform w/ our regular pronunciation rules, if the vowels are separated by a single consonant, the first vowel is a "long" vowel...Lakin is pronounced the same as Laykin, Laikin, Laken...all the same as far as common pronunciation is concerned (actually the "ay" would create a diphthong & would be a slightly different sound, but whatever). "La-kin" would have to be spelled like Lackin or something like that.

Spell it however appeals to you
I totally agree with you however I live in an area where pronunciation rules are not understood or followed. I already have one dd who's name is always mispronounced (probably) bc of how I spelled. Her name is Lana (Lah-nah) but she gets called (LAN-uh) which I would spell Lanna. I just don't want dd2 to have to go through the same drama of correcting people.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
wrensmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Name spelling help!

Lakin... less letters... simple and pretty

I pronounced it correctly in my head first time!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #24
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaleah View Post
Yep this. Being a teacher I would think to pronounce it that way. With general public you would get it even more. Laykin would be a better choice. Or what about Laikyn...I think this looks more feminine.
I agree, and I think I'd spell it Laikin because that seems more feminine to me. Just my 2 cents.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #25
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanasmom View Post
I totally agree with you however I live in an area where pronunciation rules are not understood or followed. I already have one dd who's name is always mispronounced (probably) bc of how I spelled. Her name is Lana (Lah-nah) but she gets called (LAN-uh) which I would spell Lanna. I just don't want dd2 to have to go through the same drama of correcting people.
In that case, crap can everything I said If you want to name her Lakin & you want people to pronounce it lay-ken, spelling it as "idiot-proof" as possible is probably a great idea!