Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Progesterone Questions

Hi everyone. I just found out Saturday that we are expecting #3. Based on LMP I'm still really early.

I had two losses after my first child. My OB at the time put me on progesterone cream the next time I got pregnant (did not do bloodwork to check my levels first). I did carry pregnancy past the point that I had lost the others at (6 weeks). My son was born at 36 weeks with a heart defect. Part of me always wonders if being on the progesterone without knowing if I needed it could have caused his heart defect. Is that possible? Having too much progesterone?

Second question-- I called today to try to get in with the high risk OB I saw at end of my pregnancy (we didn't find out about his heart defect until 35 weeks so we switched to the high risk late). He is out of town until the 15th and because he is so popular he takes patients on a case by case basis. The lady said she was hopeful that bc I've seen him before, because of my past losses, because of my hypothyroidism (this came after delivery of my last) and because of my sons heart defect that he would likely want to see me as a patient. There are a few other drs in their practice that are amazing as well, but none of their personalities equal to this guy. So the lady said she would give him my chart on the 15th when he gets back and she would call me by the morning of the 16th. They usually like to see people around 8 weeks.

Now I guess my question is 2 weeks from now when he gets back I will be 6 weeks (when I had both of my losses). Should I try to call again and see if another doctor will review my chart in case progesterone is needed again? Like I said we don't know for sure I needed it last time. My old OB just said "it can't hurt baby". So I'm not sure if the progesterone was the only reason I was able to not miscarry or If it had nothing to do with it.

I guess I'm all over the place with this post because I'm being a little neurotic with trying to figure out what is best in this situation. I apologize this is so long. Just hoping for some advice, comfort, etc regarding the situation.

TIA

Advertisement

Sarah~ Wife to Scott since 2/5/2005, Mommy to Alexander 9/4/2007 Our little miracle Caleb Joseph 4/18/2011 and our sweet little Angels in Heaven 10/2009 and 7/2010 Cautiously expecting #3 in March 2014!
MamaSarahMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Re: Progesterone Questions

Do you know (or could you find out) what exactly you were taking? If you know the name of the progesterone cream, there are pharmaceutical databases online where you can look up side effects. Or you could call a pharmacist. They should know the likelihood of the progesterone cream causing birth defects. A quick google search of "progesterone cream and birth defects" turned up a website (John Lee MD) that stated that bioidentical progesterone creams don't carry much risk, but that progestin based creams can cause birth defects. I don't know how trustworthy that source is, though.

As far as what to do now, I'd say do what puts your mind at ease. Find a GP or OB to test your progesterone. Then you know and don't have to worry so much.

Congratulations and sticky baby dust to you!
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I will have to see if I can find out what it was because I do not remember. My son has his cardiology appt on Monday and I had planned on asking her what the likelihood is of it causing his defect.

I am going to call back the high risk office tomorrow and see If maybe one of the other drs will look at my chart and see what they think is best as far as that goes.
Thank you!
Sarah~ Wife to Scott since 2/5/2005, Mommy to Alexander 9/4/2007 Our little miracle Caleb Joseph 4/18/2011 and our sweet little Angels in Heaven 10/2009 and 7/2010 Cautiously expecting #3 in March 2014!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was on prometrium (progesterone suppositories) 200mg twice daily for first 14 weeks with dd. she came at 39 weeks and has no issues

I really think the progesterone has nothing to do with your ds's heart issues

I was on the same stuff with this baby and all of his u/s show no issues with his heart.

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom
I was on prometrium (progesterone suppositories) 200mg twice daily for first 14 weeks with dd. she came at 39 weeks and has no issues

I was on the same stuff with this baby and all of his u/s show no issues with his heart.

Did you have low progesterone levels?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom

And now that I think about it I believe it was suppositories I was doing as well and I think it was prometrium as well.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
From doing some research I've read that some People are saying progesterone has no positive effects if not taken by a certain date? I didn't Even start taking it with my son until I got my BFP at like 4 1/2 weeks. For those of you that have been on it, do you take it after you ovulate or after you get your BfP?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSarahMay
From doing some research I've read that some People are saying progesterone has no positive effects if not taken by a certain date? I didn't Even start taking it with my son until I got my BFP at like 4 1/2 weeks. For those of you that have been on it, do you take it after you ovulate or after you get your BfP?
After my bfp.

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Progesterone Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
After my bfp.

Thank you. I'm going to call the office tomorrow and see what they say. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Three Little Monkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have taken it with this pregnancy and my last. I started taking it after my BFP probably around 4 weeks both times. I had four miscarriages prior to my pregnancy with my 19 month old. I took prometrium 200mg twice daily orally until 12 weeks. This time I just called my OB said I had a history of miscarriage and required progesterone to sustain the last pregnancy and they got me right in the next day.

Not to crunchy...just a little crispy on the edges
Three Little Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote