Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Liz N
Registered Users
seller
seller

Moving, Starting Kinder, & New Baby...any tips?

I am a SAHM with 2 & 5 yo girls. Baby #3 is due the first week of September. My husband is a teacher and we are in the process of moving to a new town 2 hours away for his new job. We are somewhat familiar with that part of the state as we both went to college about an hour from the new town and his family lives about an hour away too, but the town itself is completely new to us. And my 5 yo will start kindergarten there on Aug. 15th.

I am worried and stressing out about how all the changes will work out. We have done a new town before and a new baby, but not at exactly the same time (dd2 was 3 months old when we moved last time). And kindergarten will be a big change for dd1 as well as dd2 and myself. Previously she attended preschool 2 afternoons a week. Other than that she had been home with me and her sister.

So, does anyone have any tips or tricks for making all these transitions easier? I am planning on stocking the freezer with meals once we get moved next week. But what else can I do ahead of time to get us all ready?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Advertisement

Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Moving, Starting Kinder, & New Baby...any tips?

We did about the same last year. Didn't move, but we did new school, new daycare, new baby all at the same time. Not gonna lie - it sucked. A lot depends on the personalities of your kids. If your oldest transitions well, you should be fine with the move/kindy at the same time. By that age, the jealousy isn't quite so bad anymore. Was going to preschool easy or hard for her? How did she react when your 2nd was born? You can expect more of the same with these new things.

Is your 2nd child mellow? Ours had to be because of how high maintenance her older sister was, so she transitioned better than anyone.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
mkrisel
Registered Users

Our kids aren't that old and we haven't done that many changes at once, but talking lots and lots about what to expect in advanced helps tons for our kids.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my DS we had spring break from school, his best friend move and we moved house all the same week, it was rough, but we did one silly thing that really made DS like the new house and feel pretty settled in here, we gave him a toy. What happened was when we were house searching we saw a house that had kids his age, and he told me he liked that house because it had a toy he really wanted (Octopod), we didn't go with that house, but we snuck one in before he came, and we told him the owners left it just for him. So he kind of things of this as the Octopod house and he seemed to settle in much faster, and like this house much faster, then our last house. The previous house we lived in for one year, and that was a stressful move. All I can say is it couldn't hurt, and it will be tough, but maybe some fun, and familiarity will be the most helpful.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Liz N
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest handles change well if she has warning and has time to think things through. We have been talking a lot about kindergarten and she is excited to go. She tends to get overwhelmed with too much activity in one day, though, so I am more concerned about that aspect of her starting school. Story time at the library and an afternoon at preschool leaves her a tired wreck in the evenings .

DD2 is more my wild child. She goes with the flow better than her sister, but she also has a more strongly expressed opinion than her sister. If I tell her not to do something, she will take one step back and ask "is this okay" and repeat until she gets and okay. DH and I say that she has to define ever limit and then test it, repeatedly. I see her as having more trouble with the change associated with the new baby and my oldest being more affected by school and the new town.
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last year we did srart kindergarden for my oldest, not haveing brother at dayca7re at allmformthe 2nd and new baby. It wasnt really that bad. There wkas an adjustment for sure
Old 07-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We had a very similar situation when dd was born, she was born August 29th and ds1 would have started kinder on sept 5th, but I intended on homeschooling so we were on a break for new baby time, well dh and I decided that kinder actually was best for ds1 and so he started about 10 days late, so still really close to dd s birth.

To add to it, we were out of district so I had to take a pick ds1 up each day. Ds2 was about 2.5 and starting home speech therapy a couple times a week and our boys were undergoing testing for their hearing loss... It was NUTS and dd was a very challenging and demanding baby and I seriously didn't feel like I came up for air for 6 months.

But I think just with the few things you mentioned, it will be crazy and everyone will have some adjusting to do but I'll bet you'll be surprised at how smooth it can potential.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote