View Poll Results: At what age would you be ok with leaving a kid @ grandparents for summer (no visits)?
2+ 0 0%
3+ 0 0%
4+ 3 2.91%
5+ 23 22.33%
Won't leave that long 69 66.99%
Other 11 10.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
sashaz122
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Updated comment on page 2...

Growing up I was always loaned to grandparents for the summer and loved it. Cottage, new kids to play with etc. now dh wants to give our dd to our folks for a couple of months per summer and I'm terrified (mine or his I'd be just as scared). They all live half a world away, which was consistent to us growing up. So my question is would you be ok giving your kid to your parents for a couple of months in the summer and if yes from what age? You can't visit them while they are there (can call or Skype etc) because its overseas.

DH wants to send her next summer when she'll be 3.5 while I'm trying to think of any excuse I can not to

Oh the reason for the length - flight is not cheap and long, she would need to still go to some kind of part time daycare and one month is not enough, but grandparents can't do more than 2. Also it's for her to integrate and pick up the culture/language. I know he means well but I just can't picture it...

Advertisement

Last edited by sashaz122; 07-03-2013 at 06:01 AM.
sashaz122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if I'd ever want to miss MONTHS of my children's lives... a month I'd do probably 5 and up....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I wouldn't.

My girls were 12 and 13 and they went to Chicago for 6 weeks to visit grandparents. It was too long for us. The next summer they went for 2 weeks which was better.

I wouldn't let any of them go anywhere for months at any age. I would do a few weeks after the age of 12.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
cbridges
Registered Users

Re: At what age?

I personally don't think I would allow a couple of months until they were much older say teenagers and could truly express themselves and fend for themselves a little bit. I would possibly allow for a week when they are school age. I am pretty protective of my boys they are 35 months and 17 months. I have only ever spent one night away from them and my mom stayed with them. i know every situation is different and people feel differently but for me it would very difficult.
cbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

18 really I'm not sure I would ever be comfortable with my girls being away from me for that long and not being able to see them. Absolutely no way at 3.5!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
sashaz122
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy
18 really I'm not sure I would ever be comfortable with my girls being away from me for that long and not being able to see them. Absolutely no way at 3.5!
I need a like button cuz this is how I feel
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Emmalily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wow what an awesome opportunity for your kids in the future! No way could I do this at 3.5 though! I'm thinking more like teenagers. Maybe 11-12 if it was for less time.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
FunLovinMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
Agreed. Maybe for a week or two when they are 10 + years old. At 3.5 I wouldn't be comfortable with more than a night or two.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: At what age?

We have talked about sending the kids to my parents in Maine for a bit in the summers, but not til they are 8-10+, and then maybe for a week or two without us, and then we would meet them there for another week. We sent Ava for her sixth birthday this past January. She went with my sister for a long weekend, and that was plenty for her. She is a very independent kid, is very familiar with my parents' home, and had a great time, but she was ready to come home. It wouldn't happen at 3.5, especially not so far away.

ETA- I voted 5+, but really it would be more like 5++++++++++

Last edited by Celeste; 07-02-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
At 3 my girls went to my parents. My oldest went for 2-3 weeks when she was 3. When my next dd turned 3 my parents shortened their visits to a week at a time