View Poll Results: At what age would you be ok with leaving a kid @ grandparents for summer (no visits)?
2+ 0 0%
3+ 0 0%
4+ 3 2.91%
5+ 23 22.33%
Won't leave that long 69 66.99%
Other 11 10.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #21
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hmm that is super hard. I think there are a lot of cultures where this is pretty normal and maybe starting at a younger age is in some ways better - they kind of grow into it. But my dd is 3.25 and I don't think I could do it for two months.

I could do it for two weeks or so but it sounds to me like you would need it to be longer to make the savings in daycare expenses cover that cost of airfare?

Maybe one of you could take her for a week long visit (alternating grandparents) over the next few years and start sending her for longer periods when she is six or so. At seven she could probably fly as an unaccompanied minor and you could start with one month visits and work up to two.

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Re: At what age?

I don't think I could do it until the kid was at least 8 or 9, tbh. Maybe even a teenager.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't leave my kids overnight with my inlaws because my MIL is wacko I take my girls and visit my parents for about 4-6 weeks every year but I wouldn't leave them alone for that long. My mother had debilitating arthritis they jsut can't handle 2 kids on their own for long term. I trust them but its just not realstic. IF we lived closer I'd allow overnight or weekend visits after age 5 probably.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

This makes my heart seize up just thinking about it. I'm sure this will come up in our future since we live on an island away from our family but I really just don't want to think about it until they are about oh 30!

Ok maybe more like 13 but I can't imagine them that big. I'm thinking teenage years for a few weeks (3 at the most) is possibly ok. Maybe. Errrr, I'm not sure. Ask me in a decade!

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

FWIW my brother and his wife have 6 kids now ranging in age from 5-16 the kids have travelled from Texas to Indiana to spend the summer with their maternal grandparents every summer since the oldest was like 3-4 (they lived in Indiana before that) the two youngest went for the first time at age 3..
Three was wayyyy too young for that long of a trip, The whole summer is really too long even for the older ones, The grandparents allow behavior that their parents don't and a lot of "deprograming" has to be done once they are back home.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #26
mamacita1222
Registered Users

We are raising DS like that. We want to send him the summer before kindergarten (he has a late Aug birthday, so I'm still not sure which summer that is!). He will either be turning 5 or turning 6, but that is another discussion :-). We want to make sure that his Spanish is solid before Kindergarten and we will probably take separate long weekends to fly down with him at the beginning of his stay and back with him at the end. I anticipate missing him tremendously, but his knowledge of the language and culture is extremely important to us.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #27
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:
I would not start till school age. And I do not think i could ever do a whole summer, not would any of our parents want them for that long. I would do a couple of weeks though, 3 tops.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #28
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I said "I won't leave that long". My son is 4 right now and I am questioning if my mother (who has more of a social life then I have ever had, and has the energy to match it) can handle my son for 2 days when I have my c-section.

However I can also say that my father and step mother are seriously considering sending my sister (12) out to me for a week or 2 this summer. She really wants to come out here and I can't get out there anytime soon, nor can they all come out here because of the cost. I get this at her age and I could see maybe sending my son somewhere for a week or 2 like this when he is this age.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #29
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Between 4 and 5 we start letting our kid go visit my Mom for a week (7 hours away) and by the end of that week they've been spoiled rotten but are ready to come home. I can't imagine what age either me or the kids would be ready to be gone for 2 months - that's a long time. I think I'd have to find a way to make it a shorter visit the first summer or 2. I know as a teenager I'd go visit some family in the summer for a couple of weeks (it was the soonest my Dad could get back to pick me up) and I was so so ready to come home. I would have been miserable for 2 months I think.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #30
sashaz122
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita1222
We are raising DS like that. We want to send him the summer before kindergarten (he has a late Aug birthday, so I'm still not sure which summer that is!). He will either be turning 5 or turning 6, but that is another discussion :-). We want to make sure that his Spanish is solid before Kindergarten and we will probably take separate long weekends to fly down with him at the beginning of his stay and back with him at the end. I anticipate missing him tremendously, but his knowledge of the language and culture is extremely important to us.
This is exactly the plan yes. One of us would fly her down stay a week the go. Then the other would come stay a week and pick up. Husband won't budge he's expecting that she's going next year. My plan is we want number two. So I really need to get with quick (last time took a bit) and if I am close to delivery 1. MIL said she'll come here and 2. Older child needs bonding time with younger child. So I will put my foot down. Then if he insists I can take the planned young one with me and go to mil when younger one is 11m for a month with the 2 kinds. I think it will suck for me but at least he'll get his wish. Sound like a plan? Now how to get preggo fast haha ?