Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
onion
Registered Users
seller

When do you fold your flats if you are "on the go" (especially travelling/camping)

Ignorant about flats here. I'm considering getting some flats to use while traveling. Up until now I've been a pf or MEOS user. I've experimented with folding some receiving blankets while at home, but don't really fathom how it works while out-and-about, or especially while traveling (on the plane, getting to hotel, at the wedding, at the park) or while camping.

- Do you have flats all folded up in your diaper bag?

- Or do you wait til the moment of the dipe change and do it then?

- What fold holds its shape best in a diaper bag or backpack? (seems like if you folded them in advance, the folds would come all undone in a bag. is that true?)

-What if there is no clean or large enough place to lay the flat down to fold it? (like, what if you are in public restroom? on the trail in the woods?)(in an airport...where it's either change em in the public restroom or somewhere on the ground in the terminal...where would you do it if you had to fold a flat?!)

TIA! Taking the baby to some cool places this summer. A wedding in Olympia, WA! Camping in SoCal mts! To a lakeside rustic resort in MN!

Advertisement

ISO: GMD green edge workhorses or prefolds! Bumgenius 4.0s, fixeruppers ok!
onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When do you fold your flats if you are "on the go" (especially travelling/camping

great question subbing
Old 07-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Gabe'sMommy
Registered Users

I mini kite fold my flats in advance. On the go I have a couple folded flats in the front pocket of my diaper bag, take it out and slap that baby on. Unless you need to have a lot of flats on you at all times it should be ok. Just keep the rest in a suitcase.
Gabe'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When do you fold your flats if you are "on the go" (especially travelling/camping

I kite fold flats right outta the wash.they keep their shape in a bag pretty well. But, you might consider having some wraps and pad-folding those suckers!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

I pad-fold my flats on the shelf and then almost always go for a kite fold when it is ready to put on. I find that I can do the kite fold in the air (while guarding the baby with an elbow.) So if you are going somewhere without a clean flat place to lay it, it'll be perfect. That is, unless it won't give you the layers of absorbency that you need.
I really want to learn some alternative folds that can work great without a lot of flat surface set-up time.

Visit SweetIrisDesigns on Etsy or Hyena Cart for deliciously natural skin-care products or to build up your breathable, beat-the-rash stash of Polartec fleece, Nikky and Niji breathable+waterproof covers, and stretchy Snug Bug bamboo viscose flats. Like us on Facebook to help me decide on new products and get first dibs on seconds.
Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i mostly padfold my flats because my little one is too squirmy and they are all padfolded and stacked up ready to be used or put in the diaper bag if we are going out. when i used to do folds, i would do the origami fold and again have them all folded and ready to go, they held up fine without loosing shape!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
onion
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas. This is going to be fun...

ISO: GMD green edge workhorses or prefolds! Bumgenius 4.0s, fixeruppers ok!
onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
tuxgirl
Registered Users

Kite fold in advance. Only ever comes apart before use if DS needs a blanket, or I need something to cover the car seat from the sun, or ds wants to chew on it, or....

Yeah, our diapers are multi-purpose.
tuxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Covergirl
Registered Users
seller

OP, have fun on your trips! They sound wonderful!

I'm subbing, too... We're renting a house w/a washer and dryer for a week. The baby will be @ 4 months old and the toddler 2 years old at the time of our trip. I'm thinking of bringing something easy for the baby during the day (maybe 12 small flats to padfold, 12 fleece liners, and 4 covers?) and night diapers for both the baby and the toddler.

Sorry to threadjack, OP! What would you all do for night with flats while you travel? Both baby and toddler are heavy wetters. I have both small and large flats and receiving blankets that I could use. It needs to be really absorbent but not too bulky for an infant.
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I also kite fold straight out of the dryer. They fold up small and stay folded. I would definitely practice folding around home and while using the diaper bag around home and out and about now so you can see what works best for you. Have a great time in your trips! Sounds like so much fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covergirl View Post
OP, have fun on your trips! They sound wonderful!

I'm subbing, too... We're renting a house w/a washer and dryer for a week. The baby will be @ 4 months old and the toddler 2 years old at the time of our trip. I'm thinking of bringing something easy for the baby during the day (maybe 12 small flats to padfold, 12 fleece liners, and 4 covers?) and night diapers for both the baby and the toddler.

Sorry to threadjack, OP! What would you all do for night with flats while you travel? Both baby and toddler are heavy wetters. I have both small and large flats and receiving blankets that I could use. It needs to be really absorbent but not too bulky for an infant.

I would use a flats as a doubler for nights or 2 if needed. That way you have what you need and aren't taking anything extra. Should be nice and trim too!

nicolehedges is offline   Reply With Quote