Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
My First Newborn fitted......a few questions too. :)

This is my first attempt at making a diaper. I used the free Darling Diaper newborn pattern. I think it turned out pretty well, except I messed up on the wing snaps placement a bit and the elastic casement in the back looks a little off. That makes it look uneven, but it's not.....I did not add an internal soaker to help with drying time. I have lots of preemie pfs I can use for extra absorbency. The inside is OBV and there is also an additional layer inside of hemp French terry.

No squish to try it on yet....not for a few more weeks. It looks big compared to my orange edge GMD workhorse fitteds. I used the orange pattern as she suggests....I know this baby will be over 7 pounds. Any fit experience?

I would like to use this to make AIOs from, but I am a little worried about sewing with PUL....is there anything special I need to know or to do when sewing with that? I had a hard time encasing the elastics....any tips for that? Any other tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Mommyof4forme!
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not sure how to answer the questions but the diaper looks great and is super cute!
Mommyof4forme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
AppleMama81
Registered Users

My Mood:
Super impressive!! Great job!!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: My First Newborn fitted......a few questions too. :)

Thank you!! I just hope it works too!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's been a while since I made my "test run" fitteds, but I eventually came to the conclusion that it was easier to do the casing separate from the top stitching.

1. Turn dipe right side out. Mark where casings will begin and end. Stitch casings between the marks, leaving both ends open.

1.5. (Optional) Turn on Netflix and start marathoning Foyle's War.

2. Cut your elastic a bit long and working through the turning hole, fish it through each casing using the 'ole safety pin method. Hand tack each end in place.

3. Machine stitch back and forth to catch the ends of the elastic, then finish your top stitching.

The remodel isn't going well.
IndoorKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Rainbow Brite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my goodness, that is so cute! Where did you get that rainbow fabric?
Rainbow Brite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

How cute!
Teddyandnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Mommyof4forme!
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndoorKitty
It's been a while since I made my "test run" fitteds, but I eventually came to the conclusion that it was easier to do the casing separate from the top stitching.

1. Turn dipe right side out. Mark where casings will begin and end. Stitch casings between the marks, leaving both ends open.

2. Cut your elastic a bit long and working through the turning hole, fish it through each casing using the 'ole safety pin method. Hand tack each end in place.

3. Machine stitch back and forth to catch the ends of the elastic, then finish your top stitching.
I read this and laughed! Whenever I'm ready to sew I tell the kids, "turn on Netflix, mommy's sewing"! I also sew my elastic in the same way .
Mommyof4forme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndoorKitty View Post

Hilarious!! And helpful! I had to actually read it a couple of times to get what you meant about turning on Netflix! I was expecting a link to a how to video there!! Thank you for the tip......I was actually just thinking about doing it this way this morning when I make the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
Oh my goodness, that is so cute! Where did you get that rainbow fabric?

Thank you so much! I have had it for about a year.....I bought it along with some other fabrics on etsy.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
seller

My Mood:

Yeah that fabric is awesome! I totally second (or third?) Netflix while doing any crafting... Just watched waaaay too many seasons of inane high school shows that I secretly love

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
20% OFF FOR DS MAMAS ONLY, LIMITED TIME SPECIAL!!!!
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote