Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Coconut oil??

I am posting this in the diaper section, but it may need to be moved. I am curious about coconut oil..I know NOTHING about it! Someone told me that it could be used as diaper rash cream, and I'm having a lot of problems with my 2yo DD getting a rash lately...I'm wondering if it is just her changing "toddler pee", but anyway. Is coconut oil safe with cloth, and do I need to clean the dipes any differently if I use it? I use prefolds and covers with her, but there's a good chance that I might be using other types of diapers with my newborn, and I'd like to be able to use the coconut oil with them both (if it is good). Is it actually oil, or cream, or? What brand should I buy, and where can I get it the least expensively? Do I just rub it on like regular diaper cream? Anything else you can tell me about it, even aside from diaper use (I've heard that it has many uses, but I don't know what), I would love to hear from you! Thanks so very much!!

Advertisement

dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
dealdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Coconut oil??

I'm curious about this, too!
dealdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's fine to use on everything. I use it on their bodies head to toes from birth. Washes right out no issues. Natural yeast fighter. You can cook with it too. Use it in place of butter in recipes. I made some Lactation Cookies with it instead of butter so it was healthy and SO delicious. I don't like it on savory things though, just baking. It's solid at room temp. or lower but melts when it's too hot. I just stick it in the fridge in the summer if it gets too melty.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Most grocery stores carry it with the other cooking oils. If it's not in the regular baking aisle, look in the organic/natural foods section or check a store that has one. If you can't find it locally it's easy to get online. Coconut oil is CD safe without extra precautions. It's good for lots of things, is naturally antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal, is good both externally and internally. It promotes healing of injuries and softens scar tissue (it also helps fade stretch marks!). You can use it in place of other cooking oils.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
mommygraham
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's sort of a miracle oil :-D. We use it on butt rashes, sunburn, cradle cap on babies, eye makeup remover, and even in place of butter in recipes if I'm out of butter :-). Walmart sells this huge (32ish ounce) container for $6. Lasts forever.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Krarisze
Registered Users

We have been using coconut oil for diaper rash a couple weeks now and we are loving it, it works nicely for a rash and also makes the skin really soft. Besides, it is natural which is also a good thing cause it doesn't contain any chemicals.

Last edited by Krarisze; 07-09-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Krarisze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Mom2Thr33
Registered Users
seller

Coconut Oil is the best thing ev-a! I wish I had started using it a long time ago before this "craze" started. I get mine at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I think you have to get the unrefined virgin kind for best results. Anyway, we use it for everything. I use it in my homemade wipe solution, baby's bum when it's irritated, as a moisturizer, eye makeup remover, I use it on my hair. We also use it to cook with. Oh and um, it is great as a lube.
Mom2Thr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just make sure you get the virgin kind! I use Dr. bronners, from vitamin shoppe, on everything. It works great for diaper rash
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Sabmoo11
Registered Users
seller

Vitacost's house brand organic coconut oil is one of the best out there, we love it. On skin, n food, hey even in the bedroom. Over share but the stuff is pretty versatile!
Sabmoo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

I love coconut oil. To get the best benefits from it you'd want to buy cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. I buy mine from Whole Foods or equivalent health food stores. I've found the stuff in main stream stores not to be pure, but blended with something else.

It's great as an ointment, super-duper healthy for you to eat, just great stuff to have on hand. When you start consuming coconut oil in your diet it actually helps prevent sunburn, which I think is pretty neat in addition to the 1 billion other benefits. I am 7 months pregnant and recently broke out with horrible eczema all over my belly. I've been using coconut oil to heal it and I actually like it a lot better as a moisturizer than the cocobutter I was using before. I've also read that it's great to use for dry cracked nipples while breastfeeding.