Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Rae710
Registered Users

Suggestions for Newborn stash?

Hi Everyone!
I'm a FTM due on 8/28. I want to cloth diaper. I have a bunch of one size diapers, but after doing research, I understand that they probably won't fit when my son is born. So, here's what I have so far for my stash:

1. 12 better fit osocozy newborn prefolds (nervous about these, I've never used them and they seem intimidating)
2. 5 newborn clotheez workhorse fitted diapers
3. 2 Thirsties size one diaper covers
4. 2 Blueberry Mini Coveralls diaper covers
5. 7 G diapers size small. Not sure if I need to buy the G diaper inserts or if I can stuff with FST or the prefolds that I have. I've also heard mixed reviews about these, but I purchased on a whim when I was first researching.
6. 3 XS and 2 Small Fuzzibuns covers that were given to me. Again, not sure what I stuff these with.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would ideally like to wash every two days. I'm just very nervous with all of this as I really don't know what I'm doing and don't want to waste the money I've spent. Thank you so much!

Advertisement

Rae710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Suggestions for Newborn stash?

I myself am about to CD my first newbie. This is what I plan to personally have:

12 Bugga Bugga Boutique fitteds
12 Rainshine Designs AIOs
24-30ish GMD orange edge pfs
4 or so xsmall thirsties/bummis cover
I bought two swaddlebees NB AIOs because I've heard they're awesome..I *might* be tempted to buy more lol!
and I plan on knitting up a bunch of NB/small wool pants/covers/etc. but I missed out on the NB stage with DS..and this is a girl..so way more options LOL! And I'm super girly deep down hahaha!
A.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

I'm CD'ing my first NB too, this is my stash:

12 NB workhorse fitteds
13 XS Motherease fitteds
15 NB AIO's - Imagine Bamboo, Kissaluvs, and one super sweet Rainshine Designs (will be a keepsake)
12 covers in NB and Small-Bummis, Prowrap, Motherease plus some wool (not sure if I will use it,came with a NB lot)

I am hoping to wash every other day (DD2 is still in diapers at night) so I was aiming for 40 changes. I have some OS that may fit early on for backup!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For LO on the way I plan to have:
20 Rumparooz Lil' Joeys (newborn all in ones)
3 small gPants, the tiny were way too small for my DS when he was born.
10 newborn prefolds. I will trifold them and use in the gPants (instead of gCloth).
4 Newborn Covers: Rumparoos and/or Bummis

Then I have 10 flats that I am currently using for DS, but I hope he PLs before baby comes and baby will use them, padfolded inside a PUL cover. If he doesn't PL we plan to get some more OS diapers & baby will get the flats anyways.

Like you, I plan to wash every other day. I think 40 diapers is a good number.

From your list it looks like you have: 12 PFs, 5 fitteds, 11 covers (Thirsties, Blueberries, and gPants), and 5 pockets.

You can stuff the pockets with the prefolds, but pockets can also be used like covers (as long as you aren't using microfiber insert which shouldn't touch baby). So, you don't need any more covers IMO, you need more absorbent diapers. If you like your workhorses get more of those. Just look up some Prefold tutorials on youtube, you will figure out how they work really quickly, don't be scared. I'd recommend you get 23 or so more absorbent diapers - prefolds or fitteds.

Last edited by NewMommy6111; 07-09-2013 at 10:18 AM.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Rae710
Registered Users

Thank you everyone!
Rae710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Txladybug
Registered Users

I would consider getting another dozen newborn prefolds. From what I understand, you can trifold a prefold in the little g-pant pouch thing. Prefolds and covers were my favorite combo for a nb because they were hands down the best at keeping poo in the diaper. Also, size small fuzzibuns probably won't fit a newborn.

I think I had between 36-43 changes. I bought a few things after he was born.
For a newborn I used:
2 dozen nb GMD prefolds
9 covers - Thirsties, rumbarooz nb, and one wee huggers
2 lil joeys
3 nb simplex
5 thirsties duo size one pockets
2 applecheeks
1 fuzzibuns
Txladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I am just starting mine but I would really like to have 12-24 GMD newborn prefolds and some Capri size 1 covers... I do have a dozen flats from GMD that I love but think prefolds would be easier and trimmer at first.

Has anyone trid the THX diapers? Do they hold more then BG newborn diaper (my other one leaked out of those within two weeks!).
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fred View Post
I myself am about to CD my first newbie. This is what I plan to personally have:

12 Bugga Bugga Boutique fitteds
12 Rainshine Designs AIOs
24-30ish GMD orange edge pfs
4 or so xsmall thirsties/bummis cover
I bought two swaddlebees NB AIOs because I've heard they're awesome..I *might* be tempted to buy more lol!
and I plan on knitting up a bunch of NB/small wool pants/covers/etc. but I missed out on the NB stage with DS..and this is a girl..so way more options LOL! And I'm super girly deep down hahaha!

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Free Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think your stash looks pretty good so far. I might add another 7 workhorse fitteds for an even dozen and got 6 AIO's or pockets. There are lots of good newborn AIO's. Grovia or Nana Bottoms come to mind.

Will the small G-dipers fit right away? I'm not familiar with them. The Thirsties and bluberry will fit right away. If the G-diapers don't fit, you probably want to pick up 3-4 more covers of some kind. The fuzzibunz can be stuffed with the prefolds you have.

If you get into it and find you don't quite have enough or it's too close for comfort, you can add in some flour sack flats from Target or Walmart. They are AWESOME on newbies all padfolded up and laid in covers. Then when you are done with them, you can use them in the kitchen or as doublers.