Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #51
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: WHAT DO I DO!? so frustrating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
they have toys (an entire closet full), they have an art center here in the house (a desk, drawing boards, etc.), movies/tv...

our best friends just moved, and we don't really have anyone that i care to visit on a regular basis. leaving to go anywhere really is an issue because of gas money anyway.

again, outdoors is kind of a problem. it gets over 100* most days, and that's too hot for them to be out there for 2-3 hours a day. playing in the water is not really an option because our yard hardly has grass, and it would be nothing but a giant slippery mud pit (our yard is slanted, and has rock). not safe at all in my opinion, for water play.

there are parks, but again... it's hot. i can't really help but feel iffy about getting a 2 month old baby out in the heat like that. he's just too little for it.

so basically, they have a lot that they can do in here, at home. i try to come up with various ideas but it's not always that great, because i'm not very creative.

vbs, camps, and all of that is not an option. we don't have the money right now. we are literally living paycheck to paycheck and barely scraping by due to me not really working at the moment, so all of the "extras" really aren't an option.
I understand living on a budget....I really do. right now my husband and I work a combined total of 110 or more hours a week. Things are tight tight tight and we are very busy but really, I think getting outdoors will be a big change for you. Even 30 minute intervals or as much as the baby can tolerate. Indoors all day, no matter how many toys your kids have, is going to drive anyone batty, especially your school ager. You need to check into free items in your area....like how I talked about VBS. All the local ones in my town are free. Plus many of the sports and such have family assistance programs. You all have to get out of the house and be challenged socially and mentally. Toys can never replace fresh air and people and activity.

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #52
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
i don't want my kids to be there for free. they charge money because it costs money. i won't be the parent that goes up there and begs for my kids to get special treatment. :/ if other people do it, that's fine... no judgement. but i can't personally justify doing that. not just to give my kids something to do.
why not offer to barter for the entrance fee? Perhaps they need more workers, someone to clean up at the end of the program, clean bathrooms or someone that would be willing to allow you to do some odd jobs as payment for the entrance fee. I know its hard to reach out to people but it can really make a big difference for your family. My mom cleaned at the school and did school lunch and cleaned bathrooms for years in exchange for tuition assistance when I was in private school. Our family was dirt poor but she found a way.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #53
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
11-12 outside is a TON cooler than 3:30-4:30. like today, at 11am it was 82. at 4pm, it was 97. before noon is the best/only time to be outside, unless it's after dark. but, we won't be doing that.

the quiet time in the afternoon (1-5) is pretty necessary because i work from home. i HAVE to allow myself a few hours in the day to work.

the library isn't an option. they charge monthly fees to participate in any activities, or rent books.
what?! your library isn't free? thats crazy. i have never heard of a library charging for anything before and I have lived in several states all over the country. thats weird.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #54
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah

what?! your library isn't free? thats crazy. i have never heard of a library charging for anything before and I have lived in several states all over the country. thats weird.

All the libraries I've been to have been free. (Well you technically pay a tax for it in your taxes but still). Who in the world would pay to check out a library book?!

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #55
doodah
Registered Users
seller

finally caught up on the updates and glad to hear that a structured day is really helping!