Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #21
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: At what temp is it too hot for your kids to be outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu View Post
IDK - but we apparently haven't reached that temp yet. High 90's and humid didn't seem to phase them as long as they had plenty of cold water available to drink.

I wimp out waaay before they do.
yea this.

And, for us, it's the humidity that is so hard to deal with.

Two days ago it was 93 with low humidity and it felt AWESOME! We were all outside, enjoying the weather, sitting on the porch, playing in the grass... It was great!

When the humidity gets into 80% + then anything over 85-87 feels like you're gonna stroke out after 10 minutes.

My kids still go out, and I just make sure to give them plenty of water, and a cool bath afterwards.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

It hasn't been 100+ here yet, but the wading pool in the shade on the grass has done fine for LO. Cold hose water means LO gets out periodically to warm up
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

When my glasses fog up when I step outside. I normally don't let them play very long outside once its past 100. Which living in Texas is unfortunately most of the summer. This year has been relatively mild in comparison to years past. Normally this time of year we don't step foot outside unless we have to.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
mkrisel
Registered Users

We don't live in a hot area (Seattle), but I leave it up to DD. But we don't have sir conditioning, do its not really cooler inside
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatreestar
Over 110 is too hot , even over 100 the outdoor activity revolves around water (pool, splash pad, sprinkler, etc)
Same here, if it's over 100 were not going outside unless we're paying in water, at the pool or at the beach.
Normally the heat doesn't get to me as bad but I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant and simply NOT tolerating the heat well right now
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

I'm *very* sensitive to heat, as was my mom and MIL is, too, so I'm pretty cautious in case the kiddos have inherited the same issue. I tend to start enforcing frequent cool-off/hydrate breaks around 80 and we stay in if it makes it to 90. Luckily we live where 90 degree days are pretty infrequent.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #27
Newton
Registered Users

For us it depends more on air quality than temperature, DD and I both has asthma so we are careful with high humidex. In general when it is over mid 30s (celcius) with the humidex we don't go out
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
trulyprecious
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Temperatures reached the 90s for us back in May and began entering into the triple digits last month. We have no choice but to make the best of our sweltering weather.

I usually take the kids out bright and early after breakfast (7-10am) and then again after dinner. Most of the playgrounds in our community are covered with canopy and we are very fortunate to have a constant breeze as well. Water play is a must! Indoor/outdoor pools, splash parks, public fountains that allow for play, our sprinkler, a water slide bouncer, a small splash pool out back, water balloons and water guns are all a part of our summer routine.

We never the leave the house without hats, sunglasses, sunblock and plenty of drinking water. I get teased often but DH, I and our LOs usually keep covered with light weight long sleeved shirts and pants to protect our skin from the blazing sun.
trulyprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #29
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids are very, very fair skinned red heads, so once it hits 85-90, we come in. They play out until probably 12pm or so, then there is no shade in our back yard. They come in until evening, when it cools off enough. We live in Oregon, so it's not too often we can't go out at all.