Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
DD sat for books very early. Under a year. But she's a bookworm. Only recently has gotten into toys at all - for 2.5 yrs it was all books.

But... I didn't try to do novels. I read kids books that I liked to read. Annoying books are given away.

As the pp said, at about 2.5 we got to the point where she will sit for books that are more words than pictures. One of the books she loves isn't a children's book really - its a book about bees with tons of text.

I think you have to start with what gets their interest - not yours - to develop a love for reading. When my sister was here a couple weeks ago, she saw a series on our shelves that we got as a gift that we've never been able to get into. She's still touting them as awesome and we have no interest.

I also think of it like kids playing with kids. As adults, we can't play with our kids the way other kids can. Our minds are different. That's why some children's books are awesome. They are written in such a way that kids can really get into them. There isn't a real substitute for something well written for children.

Advertisement

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 07-09-2013 at 10:19 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please just tell me he will grow into liking books

DS was like that. At 2, we could only do one or two pages before he was running away. But now, at 4, he LOVES to be read to most of the time. Sometimes he sits next to me and listens, and sometimes he plays trains while I read the books to him. I just keep reading, knowing that his brain is absorbing, even if he isn't in my lap.

He loves rhyming books. I've read Moo Baa La La La so many times I have the whole thing memorized. So does my 2 year old. Repetition is important. IME, kids love books that they've heard 100 times the most. At 18 months, they don't have the attention span for a story. It has to be engaging constantly--looking for the butterfly, the house, the flower, etc.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
DD sat for books very early. Under a year. But she's a bookworm. Only recently has gotten into toys at all - for 2.5 yrs it was all books.

But... I didn't try to do novels. I read kids books that I liked to read. Annoying books are given away.

As the pp said, at about 2.5 we got to the point where she will sit for books that are more words than pictures. One of the books she loves isn't a children's book really - its a book about bees with tons of text.

I think you have to start with what gets their interest - not yours - to develop a love for reading. When my sister was here a couple weeks ago, she saw a series on our shelves that we got as a gift that we've never been able to get into. She's still touting them as awesome and we have no interest.

I also think of it like kids playing with kids. As adults, we can't play with our kids the way other kids can. Our minds are different. That's why some children's books are awesome. They are written in such a way that kids can really get into them. There isn't a real substitute for something well written for children.
I read novels/chapter books when he was newborn to 4 months. Even then he was mad because he wanted me to be looking and talking directly at him. We've tried all varieties of books. We seriously have one of every type of book, including the indestructible kind, which I got him at 4 months when we took our first plane ride. Again, no interest.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just keep reading. Even if he is completely ignoring you.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
cbreeding
Registered Users

My DS is 21mths and has just now let me read a book to him as long as it is only a few pages with few words on each page. DD2 was very similar at this age. DD1 loved books/being read to from very early on, like 3 or 4mths old. She would sit in my lap for as long as I was willing to read to her.

DD2 at 3.5yo is just now okay with us reading one chapter from a book. She does okay with longer children's books as she really loves looking at the pictures, but just sitting and listening she doesn't really want to do yet.

DD1 was about 4 when we started reading chapter books to her. If she had her way now (she's 6), we would read for hours on end but my voice just won't take it plus it's hard with the younger one around. She will listen to books on CD for 2-4 hours a day.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #16
Serafina33
Registered Users

Lead by example! That will, in time, instill curiosity in what mama finds so fulfilling.
Serafina33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's interesting. My son is just about 2 and a slp comes to work with him once per week. I said, "you know, I just don't understand why he'd rather sign a word than say it." And she said very matter of fact ish, "it's because he's such a physical kid." Which leads me to my point. I've got this book that my physical son loves, and maybe yours would too.

The maker is Chelona, and we have the mouse, but it looks like that is discontinued. The animal peeks through the little hole at the top (my son likes to make that happen) and I make my own stories with action type words, like surprise! and naughty! and run! Maybe your son would enjoy it too?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

What does he do if you read to him while he plays? We have done a lot of reading during play.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
What does he do if you read to him while he plays? We have done a lot of reading during play.
He screeches like a pterodactyl and throws balls at me. But he does that even when I don't read.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Well, I say keep reading, even if it seems he isn't listening, and eventually he will most likely come to enjoy them.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote