Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Bump2b
Registered Users
seller

Calculating insurance?

Hi I am buying some yarn from the MM ravelry co-op and getting it shipped directly to a Diaper Swappers WAHM (in the US)to be made into an outfit for my LO's birthday. I messaged Becky asking for insurance to be included with the yarn and she replied saying that I would need to figure it out and add that to the order. I don't know how to do that! I don't want to bother her because I know she is super busy with several co-ops right now and I figure you guys must know.

I also want to find out for my own sake because I have had problems recently when I thought insurance was purchased (it wasn't) so I want to be able to purchase the insurance myself for future transactions or at least be able to have some idea/proof if it was purchased. Is there some site that I go to where you purchase insurance separately or is it calculated at the PO (in which case can I get it calculated from some app or something and then I add it to the shipping costs for my order right?). I am in Australia and I find your postal system very confusing. There seems to be multiple ways that items can be sent and multiple providers of shipping. :head scratch: I don't even know who she ships with and I can't seem to find that info on ravelry. Also she said DC is included, is that the same as tracking? It stands for Delivery confirmation, right?

Advertisement

Bump2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Calculating insurance?

NO idea about the insurance, You usually just purchase it while paying postage. The customer is supposed to pay for ins because it's optional. That's how I've found it to be anyway. That's how it's listed on ebay an HC.

Anyhoo..lol
OT but I'm wanting to have some custom knits for my DS but there are so many choices out there. I've seen some YYMN on HC but just don't know who to pick. Who are you getting to do your's? What colorway? Love me some MM!!

Last edited by babygirls2; 07-13-2013 at 01:07 PM.
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump2b
Hi I am buying some yarn from the MM ravelry co-op and getting it shipped directly to a Diaper Swappers WAHM (in the US)to be made into an outfit for my LO's birthday. I messaged Becky asking for insurance to be included with the yarn and she replied saying that I would need to figure it out and add that to the order. I don't know how to do that! I don't want to bother her because I know she is super busy with several co-ops right now and I figure you guys must know.

I also want to find out for my own sake because I have had problems recently when I thought insurance was purchased (it wasn't) so I want to be able to purchase the insurance myself for future transactions or at least be able to have some idea/proof if it was purchased. Is there some site that I go to where you purchase insurance separately or is it calculated at the PO (in which case can I get it calculated from some app or something and then I add it to the shipping costs for my order right?). I am in Australia and I find your postal system very confusing. There seems to be multiple ways that items can be sent and multiple providers of shipping. :head scratch: I don't even know who she ships with and I can't seem to find that info on ravelry. Also she said DC is included, is that the same as tracking? It stands for Delivery confirmation, right?
You need to know the value of the yarn to get an insurance estimate. Let me see if I can pull up a chart with insurance for each value range.

Eta:

http://www.endicia.com/price-change-...ils-additional

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#1613376

Last edited by bumminbeachbabe; 07-13-2013 at 01:13 PM.
bumminbeachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
qberry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirls2
NO idea about the insurance, You usually just purchase it while paying postage. The customer is supposed to pay for ins because it's optional. That's how I've found it to be anyway. That's how it's listed on ebay an HC.

Anyhoo..lol
OT but I'm wanting to have some custom knits for my DS but there are so many choices out there. I've seen some YYMN on HC but just don't know who to pick. Who are you getting to do your's? What colorway? Love me some MM!!
Common misconception. It is actually the sellers responsibility to insure the package. As it is their responsibility for it to get to the buyer.
Win Cloth Diapers - My Giveaway Blog!
qberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qberry View Post
Common misconception. It is actually the sellers responsibility to insure the package. As it is their responsibility for it to get to the buyer.
Why doesn't pp require it then I wonder?
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
They may not "require" it but if the package isn't delivered they side with the buyer so it's a smart move on the sellers part.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post

Because it's up to the seller if they want to take that risk or not. Proof of delivery is necessary for the transaction completion. Even condition is necessary for a meeting of the minds to complete the "contract" (if you will) for agreement of the transaction to take place. Insurance only serves to cover the seller's behind if something happens, it doesn't add or take away from the transaction from the buyer's standpoint, and that's all that PayPal cares about.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 07-13-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Bump2b
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirls2 View Post

Anyhoo..lol
I will send you a PM...anyhow I think she is awesome! I am using the Luna lovegood color way from MM with the luna's patronus trim let's see if I can find a link...
Old 07-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Bump2b
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe View Post
You need to know the value of the yarn to get an insurance estimate. Let me see if I can pull up a chart with insurance for each value range.

Eta:

http://www.endicia.com/price-change-...ils-additional

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#1613376
Thank you so much! So I just add this onto the yarn total and pay it all through paypal then?I don't purchase it separately and then inform the sender? She buys it when she ships and just needed me to cover the cost?
Sorry for all the questions!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this is tricky.....insurance covers the value of the item, would you want the cost of the yarn replaced or the finished ietm? so like it its $30 worth of yarn but will cost $60 to knit(total cost $90) you'd really want insurance on $90 not $30...make sense????
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote