Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Kids and clothes, what would you do?

It would bother me a great deal, and I wouldn't accept it. I know when I wanted to dress in "goth" in high school it was because I was severely depressed and black was the best way to express how I felt about myself and life in general. I noticed the same trend with the other "goths" I knew. I think it's a lot more than just a different clothing style.

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #12
amanda1188
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just for the record,we are "country" and from Alabama and my 17yo dd(stepdd, she has lived with us for 4 years) does dress like this . She also has her hair dyed black,purple and blue (yes,all at once) and has her nose and lip pierced and a tatoo. That being said, we have absolutely no problem with any of this if it makes her happy. She is a very happy,loving girl & not depressed whatsoever. I have homeschooled her and I know first hand that she is a wonderful student that made very good grades & she just graduated. She only has a few close friends & a boyfriend that we know very well and she's not out drinking and doing drugs, because they spend all of their time at our house hanging out, because believe it or not, she actually likes to be around us because we let her be who she is, not who we think she should be. The way she dresses has nothing to do with the way she acts. It is ONLY appearance. Just a little hair dye, some clothes, and some jewelry (even if it might be pierced in some different places than the rest of us). Really it all depends on how well you know your child and sometimes goth is nothing more than a "clothing style". Just my .
Old 06-18-2006, 08:17 PM   #13
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

I wouldn't care as long as he was still focusing on school and not drinking/doing drugs. I wouldn't want his fashion sense to take over his whole life and personality. I couldn't complain really because I'm not a conventional mom. I'd rather he be into more punk rock than the gothic though, his father and I'd be proud.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's definitly not a look I prefer, or that I would encourage. I want my girls to be girly girls(like me) but you know, there are a lot of things that I would put my foot down on before them dressing in all black or goth or whatever. It is a misconception that goths are devil worshipers...I thought that for the longest time...mostly installed in me by my parents....but having grown up a bit, and also met some of these teenagers that dress...uh...differently now..they are generally good kids. Clothes don't make the person. And I know that the preppy, clean cut kids are doing just as bad of stuff as the goths...sometimes worse.

I have to admit though, I still stare at them. Not because I'm embarrassed for them, or look down on them, but because the stuff they come up with to wear nowadays is just awesome. They have the neatest belts and shoes. I'd never wear them but their outfits are just so cool to look at all the details.

Did you all know the newest style( I learned this from some teens I used to work with) is for guys to wear tight GIRL jeans? One of the girls was like "Oh it's so hot" and I was like "Gag!" I couldn't look at my DH without busting up if he tried a style like that....LOL But now we see boys all the time in TIGHT jeans(tight legs even) girl jeans that sag?!?!? WIERD! And mohawks seem to be the going thing...

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

it would totally bother me. and i know it would bother dh.
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:50 PM   #16
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1188
Really it all depends on how well you know your child and sometimes goth is nothing more than a "clothing style". Just my .
I agree!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #17
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont care, i think if you push them out of the phase or whatever, it just gets worse. BUT my girls will not wear anything slutty. i hate when my friend buys her teenage girls stuff i woul dnever allow my kdis to wear. She encourages it.

in about 2 years my oldest will not even be allowed tank tops, let alone other clothes no little girls( or teenage girl) should wear.
but goth. I dont care, I am half punk. it depends on teh day. i want more punk clothes, but i cant afford what i like. ( its hard to find some modest punk stuff sometimes)
Old 06-19-2006, 04:49 AM   #18
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon

Did you all know the newest style( I learned this from some teens I used to work with) is for guys to wear tight GIRL jeans? One of the girls was like "Oh it's so hot" and I was like "Gag!" I couldn't look at my DH without busting up if he tried a style like that....LOL But now we see boys all the time in TIGHT jeans(tight legs even) girl jeans that sag?!?!? WIERD! And mohawks seem to be the going thing...

I recently ran a booth at a career fair at a local high school, and I could NOT get over the jeans the guys wore. Seriously, it was just WEIRD. But whatever...onto the goth thing. We have a new family tha just moved in two doors up. Their older dd is 16, she dresseed in ALL black, I mean ALL black. The little kids on the street thing she is bizaree, but she is the NICEST 16 year old girl I have met in a LONG time. The funniest part is she is always teellign me how much she likes my cloths,, and I wear mostly pink and purple

My kids are little now, and I let them dress however they want. MY 3 1/2 yo always has on a dress with legs that don't match lol my son always looks flaming gay (at 5 whatever...seirously, think drag queen here lol) and my 7 yo thinks the more skin showing the better. But they wear what they like. Personally, I think that clothing is just clothing, and whatever they like is fine...I really dislike when people automatically assume they know everything about you based on how you dress, but I also hope that my children will choose kind, open-minded people to befriend that will get to know the "real" people under the clothes, regardless of if they wear leather and chains or a potato sack.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #19
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't mind. It's a time in their lives when they are searching for who they are and they are going to want to try to do everything. I say go ahead
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #20
amanda1188
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd's boyfriend wears girl jeans sometimes. And to make matters worse, he's so skinny he wears a size 1 . What a man!