Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When did you get rid of your stash?

I have been keeping about a 2 week rotating supply of milk in the offchance i got sick and couldnt nurse or if I was taking meds I couldnt nurse. DH has been bugging me to get rid of it, because we have a tiny freezer and it takes up almost half of the freezer. DS is 9, almost 10 months. Do you think I'm pretty safe that I can donate some of it? ?

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
BiskMama
Registered Users
seller

No, I would hold on to it until your DS is weaned or a year old, witch ever comes first. I have the feeling DH mite howel louder if you got rid of your milk and you had to buy formula.
BiskMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When did you get rid of your stash?

Personally I wouldn't be getting rid of it yet, unless LO had already weaned or was quite a bit older, as PP stated. And even then, my definition of "getting rid of it" would be to feed it to LO outside of normal times (using it as the milk on oatmeal, in a cup at meals, etc).

Also, if your stash is only big enough to fill half a tiny freezer, it's questionable whether it's worth the hassle of official-route donations anyway (such as https://www.hmbana.org/ ), and if you're not local to a drop off location they have pretty steep minimum ounce donation requirements due to shipping costs.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I also would wait until after the first year is up. (but I WOH, so I really didn't feel comfortable without backup-- 2nd baby, I did end up down to a feeding or 2 because of an unintentional vacation thaw and that was stressful!) Before first baby, we bought a small chest freezer.

But its really up to your comfort level and situation.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
Personally I wouldn't be getting rid of it yet, unless LO had already weaned or was quite a bit older, as PP stated. And even then, my definition of "getting rid of it" would be to feed it to LO outside of normal times (using it as the milk on oatmeal, in a cup at meals, etc).

Also, if your stash is only big enough to fill half a tiny freezer, it's questionable whether it's worth the hassle of official-route donations anyway (such as https://www.hmbana.org/ ), and if you're not local to a drop off location they have pretty steep minimum ounce donation requirements due to shipping costs.
Thanks Ladies, he agreed to let me keep it till DS is a year, or day weaned. I actually donate weekly to a good friend of ours daughter, so donation would not be an issue, its just a matter of deciding when to do it.