Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dried beans users...

I have tried using dried beans twice and both times I end up w/ hardish beans. I soak 8 hours and cook as instructed. How long do you all soak them for? Last time I made them I soaked 8 hours and ended up cooking them for a long time in the crockpot as part of the recipe and they still werent as soft as canned.

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Are they fresh? How long have you had them?
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dried beans users...

I soak overnight, replace soak water with fresh water (or broth) and cook 2-4 hours with just salt. The overnight soak makes them much more nutritious and digestible than the quick soak.

Do not cook with anything acidic (vinegar, tomoatos, etc) as it will prevent them from softening. Add flavorings/sauces after they are fully cooked.

Cooking them with a half potato takes some of the "fart" out of them. Don't eat the potato

I like to cook double, triple or more and freeze extras in ziplocks in meal size/single size portions. Or like someone mentioned in another thread, drain and freeze in a single layer on parchment then transfer to large ziplock so you can measure out exactly what you need.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had this issue but realized that I was adding salt along with the dried beans at the beginning of cooking, which keeps them hard. Now I just add the beans, half an onion, and water to the top of the crockpot and let it go all day. I don't soak. No issues. Add salt like twenty minutes before you want to use them, when they are already done cooking
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
Are they fresh? How long have you had them?
they were just a bag of dried beans from the store
Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Smplyme89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime.mommy View Post
I soak overnight, replace soak water with fresh water (or broth) and cook 2-4 hours with just salt. The overnight soak makes them much more nutritious and digestible than the quick soak.

Do not cook with anything acidic (vinegar, tomoatos, etc) as it will prevent them from softening. Add flavorings/sauces after they are fully cooked.

Cooking them with a half potato takes some of the "fart" out of them. Don't eat the potato

I like to cook double, triple or more and freeze extras in ziplocks in meal size/single size portions. Or like someone mentioned in another thread, drain and freeze in a single layer on parchment then transfer to large ziplock so you can measure out exactly what you need.
Pretty much this, but I tend to just stick them in the crock pot during the work day
Smplyme89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
mamacita1222
Registered Users

I soak at least 12 hours overnight. I drain and rinse then put them in the crockpot with 1.5-2 quarts of water (1 lbs beans) add 3 bay leaves, 2 tablespoons cumin, 1 tablespoon chili powder, one small onion, 7-8 cloves of garlic. I don't usually add salt. I cook on low for 8+ hours or high for 5.

I like my beans soft too
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I don't soak, I rinse them off really well and into the crock pot, I add cilantro, tomato and onion, no salt. I cook on high about 5 hours and they are soft and delicious!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do salt mine and they still get soft. I'd guess you need some fresher beans. I've had good luck with Goya brand bagged and with the bulk section at Whole Foods.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I soak mine overnight usually though I have forgotten before. There is a recipe for cooking them from dry, it just requires cooking for an hour, draining and then cooking again. After soaking I drain, cover with fresh water and cook for 1-2 hours (usually 2) until they are tender and "cooked tasting". It is easy. I have only done it with black beans though, I rarely use enough other types to keep the dry version in the house. As far as how fresh, I just buy from the bulk bin at Sprouts or one of the bags at the store.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote