Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Antigone
Registered Users
seller

Ebay - seller asking for more money for shipping

I bid and won on some used bedding items (quilt, shams and some sheets) this week for my daughter's room. It was a bit of a splurge for me, but I really liked the pattern, which is no longer sold, and they seemed to be in great condition so I went for it. I was the only bidder on the items and I paid the starting bid, which was just over $200 including shipping. I paid immediately. The seller came back and asked me to send another $10 because they had underestimated the shipping. I looked this up and according to ebay policy, the auction is binding once it is closed and they should not be asking me for more money. I informed the seller of ebay policy, that I hadn't really planned on paying more than what I bid, but said what I would be willing to do was pick up the items since the auction said they were local to me. They replied that they had moved and were no longer local, and that they weren't demanding more money, just asking me to chip in to help them out. They finally shipped the items, reiterated that she shipping was more than the original estimate (total $27), then sent me another request for more money to "help out."

Honestly, as someone who has bought and sold extensively on the internet before, this rubs me the wrong way. It's not just the $10 or whatever, it's the principal of coming to an agreement on price then asking for more money because you made a mistake estimated shipping. If the seller was losing money overall, I might feel bad, but with having paid over $200, they are making a decent profit on something that they already got years of use out of. It's not my responsibility to help them make more profit because they screwed up in pricing their items. As a seller I have underestimated shipping before and I would be mortified to ask the buyer for more money. I would never do it. I ate the cost and learned how to estimate better.

So supposedly the items have now been shipped. How should I respond to this seller? I don't want to be nasty, but I resent being made to feel guilty because I don't want to make a donation to help the seller make a bigger profit. Am I wrong?

Advertisement

Antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Ebay - seller asking for more money for shipping

I would tell her no and then ignore any further requests for money. Also keep the messages just in case.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would absolutely NOT send more money. If the items arrive in a timely manner and are as described, I would leave + feedback with a note about it in the comments.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I probably wouldn't reply at all, at least until I got the items and made sure they were as described. Then I'd leave appropriate feedback and leave it.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
jesslfar
Registered Users
seller

I've had that happen. I felt bad for the seller because it was heavy and I could see the price they paid on the package and they were not lying but Ebay would be swamped with people asking for more money and trying to get around fees if this were allowed. Until recently they did not charge a part of the shipping cost and people would try to cheat by say charging $1 for a Bum Genius diaper and charge $15 for shipping so that they only paid fees on the $1 when everyone knew it did not cost $15 to ship. They changed it because of underhanded sellers. The person selling to you may not be intending to defraud either you or ebay by getting around their fees but it is against the rules. It happens a lot with a big item that they don't have a decent way of quoting shipping and have to estimate. They have to make a guess based on what others are charging for the same amount, they also do not give a refund if they guessed too high. This is a very long way of saying, do not pay it, they could have looked at other sales to determine cost.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
expaik
Registered Users
seller

This is completely irrelevant to your issue at hand, but as a seller I once underestimated shipping on an international item, for which I had accepted a Best Offer from a buyer that was about half my Buy-It-Now price.

I always add insurance to my international packages, so when I forwarded the insurance confirmation to the buyer's email, I added a short friendly note that I had underestimated shipping, but that was my own fault, oh well.

Anyway, to my great surprise, the buyer GIFTED me $5 extra in paypal right after getting my email (yes - before she even received the item) to say thanks for covering the extra postage and also accepting her lower offer. Talk about a great buyer.

ETA: not implying that the OP should do that. It just reminded me...
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope. You already stated the ebay policy to them. I dont understand why you have to keep explaining yourself to these people. The answer is NO. Regretfully so the terms in that auction are binding, you have no responsibility further than what was asked of you in that auction. Done deal.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have underestimated shipping when selling on ebay before and I would never even think to have asked the buyer to pay more for shipping. It was my fault so I paid it- that's what I get for being a chronic scatterbrain, lol.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd respond with ebay's policy and state that if the seller continues to harass you, you'll be forced to leave appropriate feedback.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Registered Users
seller

No, IMO, I don't think you should pay more.
Try Looking into their feedback. See if they done this before, it may even be in the positive comments.

Save the seller in your favorite seller list with a note to not buy from them again.

I save the sellers that I buy from with a note on what I bought.

One of my 1st purchases on eBay, was from a bad seller. Everything went smoothly until I received the item, in the box was a receipt from the store he ordered it from for me. Showing me the cost of the item if I had ordered it direct.
I left him a feed back that thanked him for the receipt, letting me know that he ripped me off.
051698 is offline   Reply With Quote