Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
gbabies2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Small(er) Stashes . . . share what you have!

For those of you who have less than 20 diapers in your stash, please share what you have and how well having such a small stash works for you. I have always had fairly large stashes but am thinking about going down to something smaller

Thanks for sharing!

Advertisement

gbabies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Small(er) Stashes . . . share what you have!

right now i have 12 flats, some covers and 6 aios, so, only 18 changes which isnt enough to last me 1.5 days, i had to pull out a dozen prefolds i have stored away for a future baby until more aios get here. i like to wash every other day so i need at least 24 diapers for that.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
gbabies2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+ View Post
right now i have 12 flats, some covers and 6 aios, so, only 18 changes which isnt enough to last me 1.5 days, i had to pull out a dozen prefolds i have stored away for a future baby until more aios get here. i like to wash every other day so i need at least 24 diapers for that.
Is this for diapering more than one kiddo?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

If I were to have 20 or less for one child, it'd probably be prefolds or flats where more constant washing and wear wouldn't wear down elastic or snaps.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
gbabies2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin View Post
If I were to have 20 or less for one child, it'd probably be prefolds or flats where more constant washing and wear wouldn't wear down elastic or snaps.
Such a good point Mama. This is why I have always kept more in my stash but then I get in these "cleaning modes" and the sheer number of diapers can drive on batty
Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I had 24 prefolds fir ds1. I think this is a perfect number for a small stash. It allows going 2 days between washes and still have enough for wash time. It is also enough in the event of diarrhea.

Now saying that we have a very large stash of flats, prefolds, and fitteds for ds2. But if I were to go back down to a small stash the above is what I would aim for.

I forgot I had 3 covers. This I would increase to at least 4 if not 5 covers.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabies2 View Post
Is this for diapering more than one kiddo?
no, just a 12m old i change her once i notice she pees, which is usually every 1.5 hours, sometimes less though. she also poops 2x a day usually. at night, i use 2 flats and she wakes up a couple times a night so if i notice she is soaked i change her once overnight while she is up. i got through a ton of diapers with her!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I have 18 AIO/AI2 diapers and then some covers and bamboo prefolds I use to supplement but only use one or two of these a day.

5 BG Freetimes
3 nana's bottoms AIO
2 swaddlebees AIO (one one size and one size large)
3 Tots Bots Easy Fit
1 Ragababe AIO
2 SoftBums Echo
2 Best Bottoms shells and matching inserts

3 Imagine bamboo prefolds
3 Cloth Dreams embellished bamboo prefolds
2 Brown Cow bamboo flats
3 Grovia bamboo prefolds that I don't use because they are too big
~10 Grovia shells
~10 doublers (Thirsties Duo, Cloth Dreams and Best Bottom)

I am actually doing laundry right now and at least 5 of the diapers listed above (not the covers/prefolds) are sitting in the drawer ready to use. I do laundry every other day.

Last edited by carverjill; 07-20-2013 at 08:15 PM.
carverjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin View Post
I usually have about 3 days worth, so not small, but I don't agree with this. If you had to buy 20 diapers every year for 3 years for 60 diapers to start.. what's the difference. if you get to rebuy then you can change it to what works for you child now. You also get fresh elastic and aplix/snaps.

That being said, though, just having to rebuy covers and keep the prefolds/flats/inserts would be more cost effective.

With my son we did AI2 systems. Generally we had 6-8 covers. They had to be replaced them a few times (aplix gives out) but I would rather have fresh aplix once in a while then 20 covers today.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I usually have about 3 days worth, so not small, but I don't agree with this. If you had to buy 20 diapers every year for 3 years for 60 diapers to start.. what's the difference. if you get to rebuy then you can change it to what works for you child now. You also get fresh elastic and aplix/snaps.

That being said, though, just having to rebuy covers and keep the prefolds/flats/inserts would be more cost effective.

With my son we did AI2 systems. Generally we had 6-8 covers. They had to be replaced them a few times (aplix gives out) but I would rather have fresh aplix once in a while then 20 covers today.
I agree. But I think most people try to aim for only buying diapers once or twice based on necessity. Most of us here at diaperswappers are a little addicted so fluff shopping isn't the end of the world.

But for people like my SIL where cloth diapering is a means to an end, I wouldn't recommend only 20 OS pockets because then she'd probably be peeved when she had to buy new diapers and her son isn't potty trained.