Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Some questions for all you working and BFing Mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Sorry if way TMI. But I have come up with some creative ways to fit in pumping.

I have a medela pump-in-style and I bought a car adaptor for it and I use my hands-free pumping bra and set my self up and literally pump on the way to work and on the way home. I can keep both hands on the wheel and just wear a loose shirt and no-one can tell. But be sure to follow the speed limit! You dont' want to get pulled over while pumping

Just do a yahoo/google search for hands free pump bra and you'll see what I'm talking about. Seriously I hate pumping w/o one.
I have a car adaptor and I did take a look at the pumping bra thingee. I think I'm going to try my luck MacGyvering a regular bra into a pump bra just because I'll never hear the end of it from DH if one of those contraptions shows up in the mail! I bought the car adaptor ages ago but I honestly forgot about pumping while to and from work. Thanks for reminding me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kht2006 View Post
OK I want you to know you can make this work! I'll post again later.
Awwww. That's wonderful! I can't wait to hear/read what you have to say.

Advertisement

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Its certainly not ideal but you can do it. I too would keep pumping. Pump like a madwoman and slowly decrease a week or so before you start working. You’ll want the extra reserves. Also pump on your days off.

I would NOT work 4 days in a row. Every other day or work 2 then 1 off then 2 is better b/c the more time you can spend bf & pumping, the better off you’ll be.

Look on kellymom for tips. Like, you don’t need to wash your pump stuff every time. A quick rinse & keeping them in a fridge or cooler w/ice is enough. Pump on the way to/from work. Pumping for 10 min is better than not pumping at all. Sessions from 2-6am are the most productive and tell your body MAKE MILK!

Personally, I don’t care if dh sees the bra in the mail or sees me wearing it. Quite frankly, he saw me in the delivery room- nothing could be more ‘embarassing’ than that.

The ww bra supposedly don’t work well on larger chested women. They’re also expensive in the long run b/c of the special bags. I’d recommend buying one (rather than the pr) to see how you like it so you’re not out as much $$
if it doenst work fo ryou
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceraden View Post

1) I have been pumping a lot since DD and I have quite a stash in my freezer. Now I want to slow down my pumping so that I'm not in agony when I'm at work and can't feed her and pump every 2-3 hours. How many times a day should I be pumping to ensure a continual stash for DD and when during the day is the best time to pump?

2) I work as a nurse in a critical care area where I often don't get breaks and work 12.5 hour shifts or more if lots of people are super sick. I don't work full time but I often switch from nights to days, etc. Are there any Mamas who work 12 hour swing shift work who can tell me how they made their BFing relationship work with these crazy hours?

3) Is working going to screw up my supply and force me to end our BFing?

4) Can anyone offer me a kind word or two that will make me not want to freak out at the idea of having to leave my girlie for 12 plus hours???
First of all, BIG HUGS!!!
I went back to work when DD was 6 weeks old and it was tough, I'll be honest. But DD is now almost 2 and still nursing, so don't think that working will end your bf relationship.
The best piece of advice I can give you, from my experience, is to get a really good pump. I know you have one now, but what type is it? I started out with a Medela, and was unable to get a lot of milk from it. I upgraded to the Avent Isis IQ Duo and it was a godsend. I was able to pump about 8oz per side in 15minutes with three letdowns. Awesome!!
As far as how she will take to it, well, my DD never took to a bottle. DH was home with her while I was at work and there were some days she refused to eat. I did find that she was more willing to take the freshly pumped milk than the previously frozen. Freezing changes the flavor and density, so you may find that to be the case (no one told me this!). Eventually, if she was hungry enough, she would eat. She wasn't going to starve herself.
I pumped three times a day in a 9 hour day, but I'd say as time passes, you can do it less.

Mostly BIG HUGS to you Mama!! You can do it!!

ETA: Avent makes a car adaptor for the Isis as well, and I did pump while driving to and from work- it was interesting, and I'm sure the truck drivers got an eyeful, but it worked. LOL!

Last edited by Mom2Natalya; 05-24-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Mom2Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #14
gringacely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know what the laws are in Canada, but in CA it is mandated that they have to give you pumping breaks. I pumped for 1 1/2 years at a very high stress (work, work, work office) with my first.

I got a copy of the legislation mandating my right to pump as well as some articles that stated that breastfeeding moms are healthier & sick less often and therefore are more productive, so employers should support breastfeeding moms & I went in to see my boss in a very friendly non-threatening way and said "I just wanted to let you know that I will be pumping every 3 hours at work on my Doctors recommendation, so I will take a 15 min break in the morning, at my lunch, and 15 min in the afternoon. I will put a little sign on my door say do not disturb, so I just wanted to let you know. Thanks!"

And that was that. I think because I knew my rights, and didn't ask, but stated my plan, & kept it very light it worked. I didn't even mention the articles, just handed them to him.
gringacely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
gringacely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, yeah my ds wouldn't take a bottle, but a doula friend told us to put him in a car seat and have someone other than mom give him the bottle while standing in back of the car seat. Mom also has to leave as babies can smell you (go take a walk!). This worked for us or a variation in a swing w/ the person giving the bottle is 'hidden' behind the swing.
gringacely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringacely View Post
Oh, yeah my ds wouldn't take a bottle, but a doula friend told us to put him in a car seat and have someone other than mom give him the bottle while standing in back of the car seat. Mom also has to leave as babies can smell you (go take a walk!). This worked for us or a variation in a swing w/ the person giving the bottle is 'hidden' behind the swing.
Yes, I had forgoten about this. DS also would never take a bottle from me. But if i left the room he had no problem taking a bottle from someone else.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #17
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to go back to work with my first 2 kids at 6 wks old. As long as I pumped every 4 hours, I had enough milk and made enough. Both of them were chunky monkeys and are still very healthy. I BF them both for a year. I would always be on the verge of not having enough BM. And I didn't really have any way to wash or sanitize my pump. I would just rinse it out. Not good, I know, but they were never sick! I think Medela makes some kind of wipes for pumps now. Working and pumping is hard, but I wanted to make it work, KWIM? Good luck and keep pumping!

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:38 AM   #18
Seven
Registered Users

Re: not taking a bottle-

You may want to try finger feeding. LINK

It has the added bonus of the human touch!

Also, a hospital grade pump is, IMO a must!!

Good Luck, You can do it!
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:53 AM   #19
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have started back to work as well. My dd is 4 months old and i have been working again now for about 2 months. I am a bartender at a little dive bar, and i am usually the only one there running the bar, so i know how it is not to be able to take breaks! I have noticed a drop in my milk but i am just trying to pump more during the day, and get my body more used to not nursing at night, since dd is starting to sleep through the nights (whoohooo!!!) and i work nights.
I will also tell you that if you can at least just go to the bathroom to pump a little i would suggest it, i have gotten mastitis twice from getting too engorged at work. So be careful, especially the first few weeks, until you body gets used to the change.
Don't freak out! It will be fine, and to be honest i kinda like getting out and going into the real world again! lol!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #20
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I worked and b/f my first until he was 15 months old. I never supplemented. I had a huge supply, and I only pumped twice a day. I was gone 8-6. Having a large supply was actually a help, because I could not not pump - I would be in too much pain.
Some things that helped:
- Absolutely get a hands free pumping bra. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay. It makes things sooo much easier than trying to balance two pumps, etc. I would not recommend trying to rig a regular bra to work - in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle.
- I went on ebay and bought a couple extra sets of the pumping things. That way I did not have to worry about washing or rinsing them during the day, I just threw them all in the dishwasher at night. (btw, a dishwasher with the hot rinse option sanitizes them - saving you the extra step.)
- My son took Avent bottles, so I bought the Avent converter thingees so I could pump directly into the Avent bottles - again, save a step. All I had to do that night was put nipples on the bottles. Also, when I got to the point that I was pumping more than 5 ounces on each side, all I had to do was pump into 9 oz. bottles - no trying to switch out bottles in the middle of pumping (messy!).
Hope this helps!
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote