Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
K&Bmama
Registered Users

Please help!! Rash that won't go away!

My DD is in cloth full time. About a week ago, she developed a rash that, although it did get better, never fully went away. Red blistery patches, very sensitive, etc. We put her in sposies and started using extra strength Desitin at every change. Usually that does the trick, but for some reason when she gets this "blister" rash, it doesn't seem to help. We finally got to the point where her skin was just red but the blisters (there were 2 blisters) seemed to be going away.
This morning, DD woke up and her rash was HORRIBLE. Apparently overnight she developed more blisters and one broke open and is now an open sore. They look like blood blisters, all filled with fluid and raised up. How does a baby get blood blisters?? I feel horrible! I change her all the time, she never sits in a dirty diaper for long. I figured that maybe it's ammonia, since she seems to develop these rashes after being in her pee diaper all night long. Does ammonia rash look like blood blisters on baby's butt?? She is 15 months old, if that makes a difference.
I have an HE top loader and I have tried the blue dawn with extra rinses. Idk what I am doing wrong. I need an easy, effective way that I can strip all my diapers (we use pockets, along with prefolds and flats in Flip covers) and get this rash to go away. She had a rash like this once before about 2 months ago, and her poor little butt has SCARS from where the blisters popped open. We have baby number 3 due in Oct and I can't afford to switch to sposies, but at the same time I can't keep letting my daughter get this rash from hell!
Does this sound like ammonia or something else? How do I get rid of it fast?!

Advertisement

K&Bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help!! Rash that won't go away!

Rash from hell means its probably yeast.

If it's really bad you might want to go to the doctors and get some prescription cream. Either that or do what you did to almost get it to go away the first time and add in a over the counter fungal/yeast cream. We used the generic version of monistat7 last time we dealt with yeast and it worked well. Also I add Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) to the wipes solution or to plain (distilled is best) water (10-20 drops per oz).

Especially since the last time my son had it he was daytime PLed. I made a concoction with coconut oil, 10 drops per oz GSE, and 5 drops per oz TTO. The 3 natural things that kill yeast. I put the monistat7 on followed by the oil in the morning and in the evening every day until it was gone (plus a few days afterward to ensure it stays gone).

Also our dr explained to us that yeast happens when there is an imbalance inside the body and an open sore (standard diaper rash) on the outside that the yeast is able to get into and fester. So we treated the imbalance with a probiotic. I really think that helped. He got it twice in a few months, the second time I caught it quickly, but him right back on the probiotic and the oil/cream and it cleared up very quickly (yeast can take weeks to clear up). Now he drinks yogurt smoothies regularly to keep his system balanced.

To treat the cloth diaper that have been infected you need HOT water, I used sanitize for this JIC. I use biokleen oxygen bleach and feel it works fine, some people will say you need Clorox bleach. I also do a warm rinse cycle with a TBSP (for a full load) of GSE. The recent times my son got yeast we didn't stop using his nighttime cloth and just did this and it seemed to treat the diapers fine.

Another thing to note is that the same stuff that clears up normal rashes (keeping this bum moist) does not clear up yeast, it actually can support the environment the yeast needs. Yeast needs moist to live, and dry to die. Clearly drying out is not enough though, for my son was dry in undies all day long and still needed the other measures to kill the yeast. But it is something to consider.

Good Luck! I hate yeast.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 07-22-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Clothdiapermama89
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Actually it could also be a staph infection. My daughter had it twice when she came back from her dads and had blisters similar and I thought it was yeast til I took her the dr...if some of the patches are big and they look really sore, it's possible it's staph and I would take the baby in.
Clothdiapermama89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know nothing about staph. Considering it got better with destin that could be true. creams like destin shouldn't have helped yeast.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Whenever my baby gets red blisters I let her spend the day naked. Usually by the next day she's better, or at least most of the way better. Tide free and gentle seemed to solve my ammonia problem without using any bleach or any additives.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are you using something that kills bacteria in your wash? What detergent? How do you clean her between changes?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
K&Bmama
Registered Users

Okay, quick update: Called her pediatrician after doing some googling, and it turns out she has bullous impetigo. :/ They gave us an oral antibiotic and told me to keep neosporin on the sores. I bought a pack of sposies to use while she is on the antibiotics (she gets diarrhea from antibiotics) and we use neosporin on her.
I asked pedi if it was a staph thing ( I know nothing about impetigo) and she said most likely. So I asked if I should bleach all of her diapers or if it was something that a regular long hot wash could kill. She said to use bleach. So my question is, how much do I use? I am not worried about the prefolds and inserts, but the pocket diapers will get all discolored and stuff. Any tips? Should I use it on the covers too? I don't want to kill the elastic, but I want to kill the staph!
In a way, I am almost relieved that it isn't ammonia. Hopefully the antibiotics will get rid of this, and I will bleach her diapers and we will be good. Ammonia is such a pain to deal with, I was really hoping it wasn't ammonia burns!
Thank you all for your responses!
K&Bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know how much, but do use it on your pockets, you need to kill it on the surface.

Sorry to hear about your LO but glad you got it checked out.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

PUL is color-fast. Put 1/4 cup bleach in your dispenser if you have one. If you don't have a dispense, put the bleach in your washer as the machine fills with water and THEN put the diapers in once the bleach is diluted.

Good luck!

ETA: Make sure to run an extra rinse. I sometimes put vinegar in the softner dispenser (the acidity of the vinegar neutralizes the alkalinity of the bleach AFTER the bleach has had an opportunity to actually disinfect). Also make sure you bleach any diapers that have been worn in the last week or two, even if they are already "clean."

Great customer service from:

Last edited by meljc; 07-22-2013 at 02:15 PM.
meljc is online now   Reply With Quote